PDA

View Full Version : More bad Salary Cap news....

Michael82
02-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Walter Jones’ new contract with the Seattle Seahawks covers the next seven NFL seasons.
Simple, right? Not so fast.

The salary cap implications of Jones’ deal span only five years thanks to the league’s labor agreement.

As a result, Jones’ contract will consume $1.01 million more in 2005 salary cap space than reported Wednesday. The case illustrates why the Seahawks are paying a premium for allowing so many high-profile players to approach free agency this year.

The penalty stems from the absence of a salary cap for the 2007 season. The league and its players have yet to extend the collective bargaining agreement, leaving 2005 and 2006 as the last two seasons with a cap in place.

Before 2004, teams could spread the salary cap costs of signing bonuses over as many as seven seasons. If a team paid a $16 million bonus with a seven-year deal, for example, one-seventh of the bonus would count against the cap in a single year.

That fractional figure, when combined with the player’s base salary in a given year, would produce the “cap numbers” familiar to anyone with the stamina to follow free agency.

As the uncapped 2007 season approaches, however, the NFL’s labor agreement calls for reductions in the number of years a team can apply toward diluting the cap implications of bonuses. The number fell to six years in 2004 and five in 2005, with a four-year period allowed for contracts agreed upon in 2006.

The numbers could change if the league and players extend their agreement, but contracts signed in the meantime will count according to existing guidelines. That’s why teams with more free agents are feeling the pinch.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/4609398p-4282948c.html

Samphin1
02-18-2005, 10:04 AM
HA! I guess this is what Seattle gets for negotiating contracts without a front office virtually.

clumping platelets
02-18-2005, 10:32 AM
This is true for all teams and it's been apart of the CBA extension for a few years. Teams, agents, and players are well aware of the impact.

Earthquake Enyart
02-18-2005, 10:41 AM
This is another reason to trade your first round pick.

Michael82
02-18-2005, 10:59 AM
This is true for all teams and it's been apart of the CBA extension for a few years. Teams, agents, and players are well aware of the impact.
Will this affect signing Nate Clements to a long term contract?

Michael82
02-18-2005, 11:01 AM
HA! I guess this is what Seattle gets for negotiating contracts without a front office virtually.
Not to mention...this is what they get for leaving 3 of their top players to become free agents all in the same year. :snicker:

Earthquake Enyart
02-18-2005, 11:05 AM
This also explains the Moulds deal. It doesn't make sense to extend him past 2007.

Michael82
02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
This also explains the Moulds deal. It doesn't make sense to extend him past 2007.
Exactly. :up:

Dozerdog
02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm sure a lot of guys will get reworked deals as soon as the new TV deal is done, and the CBA extended

Michael82
02-18-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm sure a lot of guys will get reworked deals as soon as the new TV deal is done, and the CBA extended
The cap will probably be over $100 million by then.

clumping platelets
02-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Will this affect signing Nate Clements to a long term contract?

Yes, but it's the same for all teams

clumping platelets
02-18-2005, 11:16 AM
The cap will probably be over $100 million by then.

That's pure speculation.....2006 cap is likely to be around $90-93 million

Dozerdog
02-18-2005, 11:19 AM
With the new TV deal, the cap might spike, but then flatten out with only minor increases over the term of the TV deal. it will only rise significantly if there are newer TV revenues. But I beleive The Direct TV deal, the Sirius deal, and other deals are long term and won't bring in growing revenues.

Michael82
02-18-2005, 11:31 AM
That's pure speculation.....2006 cap is likely to be around $90-93 million
Once the new TV contract happens....I think the cap will easily exceed $100 million. The question is...how high will it go up before it starts hurting the small market teams?

Samphin1
02-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Once the new TV contract happens....I think the cap will easily exceed $100 million. The question is...how high will it go up before it starts hurting the small market teams?

I have always felt that if you are going to have a salary cap, you need to have a salary floor too. A minimum you have to spend. That way, they kind of check each other. Baseball needs on desperately and that is part of the reason Hockey has since gone by the way side.

The NFL is so golden right now that the "small market" teams seem to be making tons of money as well. I doubt the cap would affect them too much.

The_Philster
02-18-2005, 03:13 PM

:huh: why would it hurt the small market teams? This isn't MLB or the NBA...the NFL has the best revenue sharing plan of all

ddaryl
02-18-2005, 03:13 PM
It doesn't since the NFL is a revenue sharing league. the salary cap reflects this.

Michael82
02-18-2005, 03:14 PM
:huh: why would it hurt the small market teams? This isn't MLB or the NBA...the NFL has the best revenue sharing plan of all
That's true. :up:

G. Host
02-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Several teams (i.e. Washington, Dallas) have talked about advantage of "upcapped" year so I think some teams may try to correct their salary cap woes and go one year without a salary cap to clean up the messes their front office made. Not good for smaller market teams like Buffalo but I do not think the bigger market teams with strong sales care about how it impacts small teams.