PDA

View Full Version : What would you think of this trade?

Bulldog
02-18-2005, 09:48 AM
T. Henry to the Cards for Shelton (LT/RT). Let Jennings walk and either slide Williams over to LT and insert Shelton at RT or keep Williams at RT and allow Shelton to play LT. From what I have read Shelton has started at both positions. Apparently he got into Denny's dog house for showing up to camp overweight after he had off-season ankle surgery. I think his cap hit is around $3M per year. And he still has some football left in him as he's only 29. Would any of you be upset if Buffalo could make this trade?

mysticsoto
02-18-2005, 09:53 AM
T. Henry to the Cards for Shelton (LT/RT). Let Jennings walk and either slide Williams over to LT and insert Shelton at RT or keep Williams at RT and allow Shelton to play LT. From what I have read Shelton has started at both positions. Apparently he got into Denny's dog house for showing up to camp overweight after he had off-season ankle surgery. I think his cap hit is around $3M per year. And he still has some football left in him as he's only 29. Would any of you be upset if Buffalo could make this trade?

This has been mentioned here before...I wouldn't be against it, personally. And I'd kind of be overecstatic if Williams came in shape and ready to play. Then I wouldn't mind moving him to LT at all.

Of course, I prefer to draft a real center and have Teague move to LT. If this were to happen, then Shelton might be a little pricey to just be a backup. I'd like to see who McNally has in mind for backup. Price will probably be kept, and Lawrence Smith showed promise. But Pucillo was putrid and should be gone. Maybe this is where Justin Bannan can come in. He played decent the short while we saw him and he'd be more valuable to us a solid backup O-lineman!!!

Shasta McNasty
02-18-2005, 10:27 AM
If we don't sign JJ. I like this trade a lot. Then draft a guard in 2nd round. Then draft best availble at postion of need.

Bruce is Loose
02-19-2005, 11:23 AM
make this trade AND sign Jennings and move Shelton to G. Keep Teauge at center - hell be manhandled at tackle

ShadowHawk7
02-19-2005, 01:06 PM
TH for Shelton straight up sounds great to me. Shelton has been a proven starter, is very cheap for a T for the next 4 years, and is young w/ upside. Make it happen. The draft a OG/C in the 4th.

DraftBoy
02-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Trade for Shelton, sign Rivera, draft Wilkerson

BillsRockSOMUCH
02-19-2005, 06:08 PM
:drool:

Ickybaluky
02-19-2005, 07:33 PM
make this trade AND sign Jennings and move Shelton to G. Keep Teauge at center - hell be manhandled at tackle

Shelton is something like 6'-6" tall. OG are generally shorter and quicker, as they have to be able to get out an block LB.

Shelton is an OT, Jenning would be more likely to be moved inside since he is kind of short for an OT (6'-3").

Lone Stranger
02-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Works for me.

Kerr
02-19-2005, 10:53 PM
I've always wondered if the line would be much better if they moved Mike Williams inside to guard.

Tatonka
02-19-2005, 10:56 PM
mike williams is 6-8.. it would be even harder to move a guy that size there...

Bert102176
02-19-2005, 11:36 PM
what ever we do we need to get rid of Trey Teauge

Michael82
02-20-2005, 10:43 AM
:clap: :drool:

Marvelous
02-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Man is it easy to hate on Teague. He's a C people and a decent one at that. He's no Mawae or Koppen but he is still servicable imo.
*The day will come when we get our new Kent Hull but until then Teague is a good fit because he can play tackle or guard. I wonder what woulda happened had we went with Jennings @ C and Teague as a RT..????hmm

Charlieguide
02-20-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't like the idea of losing JJ. As LT, he's clearly the coaches' pick as our best O-Lineman. With the cap space we have available, it doesn't make sense to let him go, even with the acquisition of Shelton. That would be like having a 1300 yard back, and drafting a RB in the first round . . . you just don't do that.

:ontome:

Seriously, though, our OL needs help not simply change. Making a move to save money doesn't accomplish that. Keeping MW, JJ, and Shelton only makes sense.

mysticsoto
02-21-2005, 08:54 AM
I don't like the idea of losing JJ. As LT, he's clearly the coaches' pick as our best O-Lineman. With the cap space we have available, it doesn't make sense to let him go, even with the acquisition of Shelton. That would be like having a 1300 yard back, and drafting a RB in the first round . . . you just don't do that.

:ontome:

Seriously, though, our OL needs help not simply change. Making a move to save money doesn't accomplish that. Keeping MW, JJ, and Shelton only makes sense.

Jennings will want us to break the bank on him. Word is, he's looking for top 5 Tackle pay. With Walter Jones setting a high with 7 yr $50 Million, Jennings is going to want something close to that. With the Bills having an opportunity to trade TH for a top-just-as-good LT in Shelton, and only pay him $3 million for the next 4 years - that is an incredible bargain! And Arizona comes out winning also with a cheap top RB for them. This is a win-win scenario and you can look for it to happen fairly quickly come March 2nd.

Bulldog
02-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Jennings will want us to break the bank on him. Word is, he's looking for top 5 Tackle pay. With Walter Jones setting a high with 7 yr $50 Million, Jennings is going to want something close to that. With the Bills having an opportunity to trade TH for a top-just-as-good LT in Shelton, and only pay him $3 million for the next 4 years - that is an incredible bargain! And Arizona comes out winning also with a cheap top RB for them. This is a win-win scenario and you can look for it to happen fairly quickly come March 2nd.

I totally agree. And does anyone in here honestly think that Buffalo is going to get a better deal anywhere else? Trading an unhappy TH out of the conference and getting a young,stellar LT/RT in return sounds good to me.

Marvelous
02-21-2005, 11:40 AM
By convincing yourselves that Shelton is just as good if not better then Jennings makes ya feel better about it then so be it, but don't try to convince me or others. JJ is that good. His only flaw is health. I agree 100% with the poster who keep JJ & get Shelton. We still have a hole at LG. And -0- depth.....

mysticsoto
02-21-2005, 12:02 PM
By convincing yourselves that Shelton is just as good if not better then Jennings makes ya feel better about it then so be it, but don't try to convince me or others. JJ is that good. His only flaw is health. I agree 100% with the poster who keep JJ & get Shelton. We still have a hole at LG. And -0- depth.....

It doesn't make sense to trade for Shelton and have him disgruntled here if he doesn't start. He wants to start and is certainly very capable. Also, $3 Mil a year for a backup sounds a little ridiculous - which is why Ariz wants to get rid of him. I think you'll find that there are many that feel that we should not break the bank on Jennings. Do we need O-line help? Definitely, but paying JJ somewhere around $5 Mil a year plus a $10 mil bonus is something that's going to get us in cap trouble fast!!! We still need to worry about other positions also - like who's going to backup JP?!

BTW, I don't see why we have a hole at LG, Ross Tucker fought for and won that position last year. And he did pretty well. If we draft a Center, then we have Teague who can pretty much play any position on the line to challenge any of the other starters - somebody'll end up being a quality backup...and there's always Dylan McFarland who was drafted last year to be developed as well as Ben Sobieski who was on the PS. These guys might be ready to step up. McNally saw something in Justin Bannan also and there might be some changes there coming down the pike. Overall, the line improved a great deal as the season continued last year, and should continue to improve. While I do want more depth also and want to draft O-lineman, I don't think we are in bad a shape as I originally thought we might be beforehand.

In fact, if we do sign Shelton, I believe the 1st pick Donahoe is going to use will be for a WR...

Jan Reimers
02-21-2005, 12:03 PM
The Bills will not pay JJ - an oft-injured, middle-of-the-pack LT who would rather be in Atlanta - a Pro Bowler's salary. Shelton, with a little attitude adjustment and some work with McNally, will be at least as good as JJ - and a lot less expensive.

Romes
02-21-2005, 12:42 PM
I bet the Bills trade Henry for Shelton, then they move Mike Williams to LT and Shelton to RT. Shelton played RT last year for the Cards and Mike Williams is coming into his own. I think Williams will be able to make us forget about Jennings at LT.

The Natrix
02-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I'd rather get a 2nd for Henry, but Shelton would be ok.

EDS
02-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Is Losman a lefty? If so, doesn't that make the right side his blind side? In which case, doesn't Mike Williams remaining at RT make sense - especially if you believe he is the Bills best lineman?

Romes
02-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Is Losman a lefty? If so, doesn't that make the right side his blind side? In which case, doesn't Mike Williams remaining at RT make sense - especially if you believe he is the Bills best lineman?

Losman is a righty.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/images/losman21_bills_1.jpg

cordog
02-21-2005, 06:29 PM
BTW, I don't see why we have a hole at LG, Ross Tucker fought for and won that position last year. And he did pretty well. If we draft a Center, then we have Teague who can pretty much play any position on the line to challenge any of the other starters - somebody'll end up being a quality backup...and there's always Dylan McFarland who was drafted last year to be developed as well as Ben Sobieski who was on the PS. These guys might be ready to step up. McNally saw something in Justin Bannan also and there might be some changes there coming down the pike. Overall, the line improved a great deal as the season continued last year, and should continue to improve. While I do want more depth also and want to draft O-lineman, I don't think we are in bad a shape as I originally thought we might be beforehand.

In fact, if we do sign Shelton, I believe the 1st pick Donahoe is going to use will be for a WR...
I agree Ross Tucker did play pretty well, but if you have a chance to get a top of the line Guard, then you have to jump at it. I want a dominate line, not an improving line especially with a rookie qb and the fact that if we are going anywhere this year, its on the legs of WM.

mysticsoto
02-22-2005, 08:22 AM
I agree Ross Tucker did play pretty well, but if you have a chance to get a top of the line Guard, then you have to jump at it. I want a dominate line, not an improving line especially with a rookie qb and the fact that if we are going anywhere this year, its on the legs of WM.
No arguments there, except that we need to give Losman weapons and currently, we have no quality 3rd WR for him. And with Campbell and Euhus recovering, TE position is a little worrisome also.

And we're all forgetting our favorite person and how he might come into the mix...Jason Peters. The OT/TE hybrid will surely come into play.

ICE74129
02-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I think the shelton trade is it for the OL. It drasticlly upgrades LT in my oppinion. I agree it's time to focus on a REAL TE and another WR. Our QB needs TARGETS.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Shelton doesn't want to play guard. In fact part of the reason he is seeking a trade is so he can start at LT again.

mysticsoto
02-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I think it's almost mandatory for us to draft a Center...probably in the 3rd round. That may help free Teague for other positions. Although Lawrence Smith really fought for LG position last year and he was just a rookie. With a year under his belt and his drive/bad attitude on the line, he just might make it a fight. Ross Tucker also stepped up last year. And then we still have J. Peters and Bannan in the mix. I just hope that MW doesn't come in super overweight again. Otherwise I'm going to have to start calling him, The Blob. I guess the same thing applies to Shelton...

venis2k1
02-22-2005, 11:54 AM
as much as i would love to see us get a legit center, i dont see it happening this year. the problem with teague is he could get bull rushed, bledsoe made him look worse than he really is, he is smart, fast and agile, unfortunatly not very big. Mcnally loves him. he may of been part of the reason we could not run effectivly between the tackles, assuming we get a good LG, a center is not a immediate priority

BuffaloRanger
02-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Stack the line and trade for Shelton and sign JJ. JJ is the best LT out there in FA, but he needs to realize he is no Walter Jones/Orlando Pace. No Pro Bowls. If this info needs to be leaked over and over again to the media until his value comes down so be it.

Expecting anything from Mr Softee Sobieski and late 7th Rdr McFarland is wishful thinking.

Ross Tucker won the job from who? Lawrence Smith. Is that really a ringing endorsement?

Consider Henry for Shelton a wash, then sign JJ and Big Pat. JJ, LJS, and MW on the same line would be a good start. Draft a center and you have a line that will be dominant for years to come.

And is Josh Reed such a bust that we need to spend another high draft apick on a WR?

mysticsoto
02-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Stack the line and trade for Shelton and sign JJ. JJ is the best LT out there in FA, but he needs to realize he is no Walter Jones/Orlando Pace. No Pro Bowls. If this info needs to be leaked over and over again to the media until his value comes down so be it.

Expecting anything from Mr Softee Sobieski and late 7th Rdr McFarland is wishful thinking.

Ross Tucker won the job from who? Lawrence Smith. Is that really a ringing endorsement?

Consider Henry for Shelton a wash, then sign JJ and Big Pat. JJ, LJS, and MW on the same line would be a good start. Draft a center and you have a line that will be dominant for years to come.

And is Josh Reed such a bust that we need to spend another high draft apick on a WR?

Well that's part of the problem. We cannot sign both JJ and Big Pat. If we sign JJ, the rest of our cap money is gone!!! JJ wants money. He's not going to settle for 3 Mil a year like Shelton. Pat is willing to negotiate, but it will still cost some. Believe me, if we could keep JJ and a reasonable price, I'd be all for it, but it doesn't appear he's willing to take something reasonable.

Josh Reed - how many chances does he get? He's been given a few already. Sam Aiken has been a bust too. I thought he might come into his own last year, but sadly, I was mistaken.