PDA

View Full Version : L.J. Shelton visits Bills

Ickybaluky
02-18-2005, 04:45 PM
From ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1994672)

A possible Henry for Shelton swap? He would come real cheap ($3M per season).

ryjam282
02-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Sweet, is this guy real good?

Crisis
02-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Average from what I've heard of.

I have faith that Mouse could get him playing beyond his potential, though.

ryjam282
02-18-2005, 04:53 PM
:up:

The King
02-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I like shelton a lot

THATHURMANATOR
02-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I have read that he has been a huge underachiever.

Big M
02-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I have read that he has been a huge underachiever.

Why ? Because he only dates girls over 18 ?

Trade Henry for him now !

Mudflap1
02-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Would be a great trade! We give up zero picks for a tackle at or slightly above Jennings' level, and for dirt cheap!

DO it TD! This would be good. Now work on Marco Rivera or some other Center/Guard...

Jon

Akhippo
02-18-2005, 05:20 PM
That would be a nice trade. Pick up a center through FA, Draft two lineman in the second and third. Williams - Rookie - FA - Villarial - Shelton. That has alot of potential.

Mr. Cynical
02-18-2005, 05:22 PM
I like the idea. IMO, we need to get an OL first and foremost. The only thing is that I'm not familiar with Shelton, but he was a first round pick in 99 (not that that guarantees anything of course, but still)

YardRat
02-18-2005, 06:21 PM
I'd like to see what Shelton could do under the tutelage of McNally, also.

Even up for Henry sounds fair to me.

DraftBoy
02-18-2005, 06:31 PM
LJ Shelton has always had the potential but never lived up to his hype. I personally love this deal as he is a run blocker all the way. Good size, strength, and speed. Also can play G. Henry for Shelton sounds good to me.

thebuffalobills4
02-18-2005, 06:44 PM
never heard of l.j shelton. :question: :wtf:

Kerr
02-18-2005, 06:45 PM
I can dig it. Mcnally can probably bring out the best from him.

Ickybaluky
02-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Sweet, is this guy real good?

He is real big and has talent. The downside on him is he has a rap against him of being lazy. He has struggled to keep his weight in check. He likes to come into camp out of shape and work his way into condition. That is what got him into Denny Green's doghouse.

That said, he is big and has talent. Granted, guys who lack motivation and attitude generally don't change for long, but the upside is real high. He is locked up for $3M per for the next 4 years if he is traded (since the Cards eat the bonus). That is real short money for a starting OT if he is any good. If motivated, he is a steal. If not, he is a bust.

TigerJ
02-18-2005, 07:18 PM
If the Bills think they can facilitate an attitude adjustment, I'm willing to give it a try.

ArcticWildMan
02-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Considering we don't have to pay his signing bonus money, he's worth a shot.

Crisis
02-18-2005, 08:53 PM
I heard he gained weight when he came off an ankle injury.

Is this true?

Michael82
02-18-2005, 09:42 PM
This would be a great move and the only reason the Bills would be interested in him is if McNally likes him. If McNally likes him, then so do I. :up:

Philagape
02-18-2005, 09:55 PM
His attitude should improve with age and coaching; I'll put our staff against Arizona's any day. If that's his only downside, it sounds like a great deal.

clumping platelets
02-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Salary cap neutral if the Bills did a simple restructure of his 2005 salary

:D

Michael82
02-18-2005, 10:36 PM
The fact that he is visiting means that the Bills are definitely interested in working on some kind of trade for him. :up:

clumping platelets
02-18-2005, 10:38 PM
L.J Shelton for $3 million x 4 yrs

OR

Jennings for 5-6 yrs with 8 digit signing bonus

:huh:

SoCalBillsFan
02-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Let me play devil's advocate...:D

is this guy really as good as jennings? I know a lot of people have been really high on jennings, and he has been great. I think shelton isn't as good. It might be the right deal for the money, but I don't think it's the right deal for the line.

What if somehow we can keep jennings, and do the trade? Move Shelton to guard...I think that would be a good line.

I know we hate giving out big contracts, but if jennings is good enough to deserve it I'm ok with keeping him. THe question is just if he's good enough to be worth it...and I'm not sure. Damn money...

Mr. Cynical
02-19-2005, 12:11 AM
He is real big and has talent. The downside on him is he has a rap against him of being lazy. He has struggled to keep his weight in check. He likes to come into camp out of shape and work his way into condition. That is what got him into Denny Green's doghouse.
If this is the case, then this bodes well for the Bills. Mike Williams had the same issues, e.g., weight and "laziness"...and both 1st round picks, and McNally got him to turnaround.

Dr. Lecter
02-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Trade for Shelton

Then they can draft Nugent, as O-line won't be as pressing of a need.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2005, 12:56 AM
L.J Shelton for $3 million x 4 yrs

OR

Jennings for 5-6 yrs with 8 digit signing bonus

:huh:

Exactly. If the guy just shows up each week we're way ahead.

gimpy
02-19-2005, 12:58 AM
From ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1994672)

A possible Henry for Shelton swap? He would come real cheap ($3M per season).
I guess TD reads this board too.. http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=64073

Wheresthekgun
02-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Correct me if im wrong but SHelton is coming off a knee injury...Would be a great trade if he can preform to his potential he is what we are looking for at the price and maybe we can swap even or maybe trade draft picks also..We need to build JP a solid line so he can have that extra cushion.

LET THE NEW BILLS TAKE OVER THE AFC EAST!!!!!!!!!

Tatonka
02-19-2005, 01:12 AM
here is some stuff i found on shelton.. i know he was a huge talent coming out from college.. he was the starter and at least average in arizona.. he wasnt far from where jennings is.. he was good enough that arizona resigned him.. if he was a bust they would have just let him go..

he hurt his foot.. and had offseason surgery, and then came back to the team overweight.. the coaches benched him initially as a motivational tool.. since denny green thinks he is the king of that.. Leonard Davis, another 1st round pick, did well at LT, so they left him in. the article goes over that.

Cards O-Line Taking on a New Look

Much ado has been made over the Cardinals offensive line over the last few years, lots of talent, but not a lot of production. When offensive line coach Bob Wylie joined the team this off-season, he took a long and hard look at what he had to work with.

“When I came here and graded the film, I graded two legitimate starters and three backup guys that were on there and I told them that,” said a candid Wylie. “I told them they needed to work their way into the starting lineup by becoming physical, and by being mentally ready to play the game every time they step on this field. The more I talk to them in those terms and the more I keep enforcing that with them, the better they are going to get.”

Perhaps Wylie’s grades explain why there has been so much adjustments made on the line. The team benched tackle L.J. Shelton, moved Leonard Davis from right guard to left tackle, switched Cameron Spikes from left guard to right guard, released Pete Kendall in favor of rookie Alex Stepanovich at center, and inserted last year’s backup tackle Reggie Wells into the left guard spot. The only player who has not changed spots on the starting unit is right tackle Anthony Clement.

When Shelton was initially benched, it seemed like a temporary move until he dropped down to his playing weight, but with Davis entrenched at left tackle, Shelton remains in a backup role.

“L.J.’s weight is down,” observed Head Coach Dennis Green. “I think he’s working hard and I think he’s trying to contribute and ready to help our team any way he can.”

What role Shelton will play remains to see, but Wylie is certain that the move has helped motivate Shelton to return to playing shape following off-season surgery.

“It is a good motivational thing for him,” said Wylie. “They’ve paid him a lot of money to play the game. He’s got to raise up and pull his pants up, tie his shoes, and go play the game the way it should be played. He’s getting better, one step at a time. It doesn’t happen overnight.”

no link.. just says Chrissy Mauck, azcardinals.com

this guy reminds me A LOT of mike williams.. which can be a great thing with our coaches i think. i am all for this move.. henry doesnt want to be here.. and we get a LT for 12 million over 4 years.. that is less than villareal.. Mcnally can mold him..

AND.. since we are barely losing any money on that.. there is still the chance that shelton becomes our new LG and jennings resigns and stays at LT.. then ross tucker goes to center.. or we draft/sign one.

i also dont trust much of what the cards say about an olineman.. they cut pete kendall who was obviously a good player.. denny made a lot of moves to make a point and show everyone that it was his team.

Tatonka
02-19-2005, 01:34 AM
something from the cards message board on nfl.com

this comment was in reference to a trade possibility with minnesota for michael bennet.

your on fire, I said his name earlier (Shelton) as a possibility and people said he was soft and got pushed around. No one that is 6'8" 330+ gets pushed around. He has been a full time starter for several seasons and if he keeps his weight down plays very well and is faster than a lot of people think.

i know a fans opinion isnt gospel or anything.. but from what i can gather.. he is great when motivated, but alot of fans dont like him because they feel he underachieves.. he seems to be literally a mike williams clone..

i trust that if we get him, mcnally will make it work.

Michael82
02-19-2005, 05:08 AM
something from the cards message board on nfl.com

this comment was in reference to a trade possibility with minnesota for michael bennet.

i know a fans opinion isnt gospel or anything.. but from what i can gather.. he is great when motivated, but alot of fans dont like him because they feel he underachieves.. he seems to be literally a mike williams clone..

i trust that if we get him, mcnally will make it work.
OMG! That would be 2 HUGE Offensive Tackles on the ends (both over 6'7, 325 lbs.) I like the sound of that. Plus, the Guards are both pretty big. That's a lot of beef for Willis to run behind. :D

:fat: :fat: :fat: :fat: :fat:

Big M
02-19-2005, 05:41 AM
The Bills would be hard pressed to find a better deal for replacing Jennings. He comes cheap and can actually play. Then re-sign super sub Marcus Price for insurance and you just cured the biggest worry of the off-season.

Jennings is a good tackle who is always hurt. Missed some games again this season. He's not worth the outrageous $$ he'll be offered in March.

This is a good deal on so many levels. Talent, cap friendly, filling our most important need, etc.

Lone Stranger
02-19-2005, 06:11 AM
When you compare our options: Perhaps a third-rounder for Henry compared with an experienced lineman with some mileage left...there's really not much of choice.

Jan Reimers
02-19-2005, 07:14 AM
I like the trade. Shelton has the tools, and McNally should get him turned around and playing productively. His cousin Daimon - our hard working FB - also may be a good influence. And he'll be a lot cheaper than keeping JJ.

Jayhawk
02-19-2005, 07:25 AM
I'd do it. having that huge offensive line would be so fun to watch, because the defense wouldn't be able to hit Willis, and might not be able to see him back there.

kgun12
02-19-2005, 07:47 AM
The Bills would be hard pressed to find a better deal for replacing Jennings. He comes cheap and can actually play. Then re-sign super sub Marcus Price for insurance and you just cured the biggest worry of the off-season.

Jennings is a good tackle who is always hurt. Missed some games again this season. He's not worth the outrageous $$ he'll be offered in March.

This is a good deal on so many levels. Talent, cap friendly, filling our most important need, etc.

When you compare our options: Perhaps a third-rounder for Henry compared with an experienced lineman with some mileage left...there's really not much of choice.

I like the trade. Shelton has the tools, and McNally should get him turned around and playing productively. His cousin Daimon - our hard working FB - also may be a good influence. And he'll be a lot cheaper than keeping JJ.

All very good points! I agree this is a win win situation.

ICE74129
02-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Please try to understand, Teague is our center. It's finished. He is going no where. McNally loves this guy as our Center and I trust his judgement over any of us here.

cordog
02-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I like the trade, but this doesnt help the O-Line. Actually it gets slightly worse. Plus there is no guarantee this guy will even play hard. McNally is great, but only the player can motivate themselves.

jamze132
02-19-2005, 09:45 AM
That would be a nice trade. Pick up a center through FA, Draft two lineman in the second and third. Williams - Rookie - FA - Villarial - Shelton. That has alot of potential.
What about Nugent?

BillsRockSOMUCH
02-19-2005, 09:51 AM
I like the trade, but this doesnt help the O-Line. Actually it gets slightly worse. Plus there is no guarantee this guy will even play hard. McNally is great, but only the player can motivate themselves.
I guess I agree with you somewhat, if McNally likes him I'm confident he can motivte him, I think it would be a slight downgrade but it would free up lots of money to go after a guy like Marco Rivera.

DraftBoy
02-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Please try to understand, Teague is our center. It's finished. He is going no where. McNally loves this guy as our Center and I trust his judgement over any of us here.

How do you figure that?

Jan Reimers
02-19-2005, 10:24 AM
I guess I agree with you somewhat, if McNally likes him I'm confident he can motivte him, I think it would be a slight downgrade but it would free up lots of money to go after a guy like Marco Rivera.
You're right, in that this move by itself would be no more than a break-even proposition, and probably a slight downgrade. But I think trading for Shelton is basically a hedge against losing JJ, and would not be our only move concerning the O line. I would expect us to pick up at least one quality free agent and a high draft pick there as well.

dannyek71
02-19-2005, 11:16 AM
maybe shelton visiting will be used on the bargaining table with Jonas....

I agree with what many posters have said, Jonas may be better, but sure doesnt play all that often due to injury

Tatonka
02-19-2005, 11:17 AM
are you sure that damion shelton is his cousin?

Bruce is Loose
02-19-2005, 11:24 AM
we should sign him and move him to guard if jennings doesnt sign

DraftBoy
02-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Landing Shelton and signing Rivera and moving Tucker inside would be awesome, then take Wilkerson in rd. 2 and Id be happy

Italian Stallion
02-19-2005, 12:29 PM
This deal sounds too good to be true....I bet Minny offers Micheal Bennett for Shelton and Green takes that, because he is more familiar with him, and drafted him

Jan Reimers
02-19-2005, 12:43 PM
are you sure that damion shelton is his cousin?
I have read several reports that refer to them as cousins.

Jan Reimers
02-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Landing Shelton and signing Rivera and moving Tucker inside would be awesome, then take Wilkerson in rd. 2 and Id be happy
Isn't Tucker already inside, at LG?

G. Host
02-19-2005, 01:00 PM
He was also put on IR by Cardinals
2004-12-14 The Cards placed tackle L.J. Shelton on injured reserve.

Some other articles on Shelton

Jurecki on June 1 Cuts (2004)
http://azcardinals.com/news/col_details.html?iid=248

Shelton Waits for an Opportunity
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2209

DraftBoy
02-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Isn't Tucker already inside, at LG?

I was referring to moving him inside to C, sorry must of missed that part when I was typing it

ShadowHawk7
02-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Trade for Shelton

Then they can draft Nugent, as O-line won't be as pressing of a need.
I like it.

HAMMER
02-19-2005, 01:42 PM
This would be a great move and the only reason the Bills would be interested in him is if McNally likes him. If McNally likes him, then so do I. :up:

I love your faith in our coaches Mikey!

If he was even in Buffalo then they have seen plenty that they like. Donahoe will cut to the chase and lay down the law in regard to LJ being at all of the "voluntary" workouts.

Wheresthekgun
02-19-2005, 04:03 PM
L J Shelton and Kyle Turley :bow:

Ickybaluky
02-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Here's is a story from the Arizona Republic (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0219cards0219.html) that makes it sound like a real possibility this could happen soon. It states the Cards like Henry.

The biggest hurdle to overcome might be the Cards wanting to sign Henry to an extension. They may ask to discuss this with him first so they can agree on a contract.

This trade would help both teams, as the Bills' would get a starting OT at a good cap number and the Cards would get Henry, who fits in well with their style of play. I always felt Henry was most dangerous out of spread sets, and the Cards play 3 WR in their base offense. Travis could put up big numbers there.

Ickybaluky
02-19-2005, 04:53 PM
L J Shelton and Kyle Turley :bow:

Even if Turley was released by the Rams, which they may not be able to do due to the cap hit they would take, it is no sure thing he will ever play again.

Turley has chronic back problems, and it is risky taking a chance on a guy with major back problems. Because of restrictions on lifting while re-habbing, Turley was down to about 240-250 lbs last season. He claims he will re-gain the weight and try to play again, but it is a risky proposition.

Dozerdog
02-19-2005, 04:57 PM
He has to many roid rage episodes. While I'm not saying he juices- he has all the symptoms. Do you want a guy that gets too fired up and commits ridiculous penalties? Or threatens to kill the coach- regardles if he deserved it or not?

ublinkwescore
02-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Forget about Turley if that's true.

Wheresthekgun
02-19-2005, 07:52 PM
We all can speculate that turley has been on roids he shows the sypmtoms and he lost the weight maybe due to the lack of using them...If he could prove that he could stay healthy he would be a perfect pick up and we could have the pimpest oline in football....

Michael82
02-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Not really. I forgot where I read it, but they are looking at cutting him and signing one in FA or possibly drafting one.

Michael82
02-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Forget about Turley if that's true.
Nice to see ya, but where the hell have you been? :scratch:

DraftBoy
02-20-2005, 10:16 AM
The only reason Id actually want Turley is bc I know he's a madman on the field and would protect JP at all costs, like he did to Aaron Brooks in NO, when Brooks took a dirt hit from another player he tore off the guys helmet to get him back. I do like that kind of an attitude, but the drawback is that he may never play again, chronic back, and roid rage.

Michael82
02-20-2005, 11:33 AM
The only reason Id actually want Turley is bc I know he's a madman on the field and would protect JP at all costs, like he did to Aaron Brooks in NO, when Brooks took a dirt hit from another player he tore off the guys helmet to get him back. I do like that kind of an attitude, but the drawback is that he may never play again, chronic back, and roid rage.
That's the only reason why I would like him. I always got upset when our QB was hit late or in the helmet and no one did anything about it.

Philagape
02-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I think Turley's career is down the turlet

Jayhawk
02-20-2005, 01:21 PM
turlet?

Philagape
02-20-2005, 01:59 PM
turlet?

Ever watch All in the Family?

ublinkwescore
02-20-2005, 02:56 PM