X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turf
    • Jul 2002

Another Confirmation - Saturday Meeting

Sportsnet has learned the NHL and NHLPA will be meeting in New York on Saturday

Sportsnet.ca -- Just days after the official cancellation of the NHL campaign, efforts appear to have been renewed to save the season.

Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux will attend Saturday's meeting in hopes of bridging the gap between the NHL and NHLPA, Sportsnet has learned.

Saturday's meeting will involve all constituents from both sides, led by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow. The PA's executive committee is also expected to be in New York City.

A league executive told Sportsnet Friday, "While nothing is written in stone yet, we expect the PA in New York by the weekend, possibly as early as tonight (Friday)."

On Wednesday at 1 p.m. ET, Bettman announced the cancellation of the season due to failed labour negotioations.

The NHL became the first of the four major professional sports in North America to cancel an entire season from beginning to end.

The Stanley Cup will not be awarded for the first time since the Spanish flu halted the 1919 final between Montreal and Seattle.

Before Wednesday, the league was offering a $42.5-million US salary cap, while the union offered $49-million cap.

"We weren't as close as people were speculating . . . We were still very far apart," Bettman stressed, noting that $6.5-million multiplied by 30 teams is close to $200-million.

And Bettman showed a hint of an edge when asked again why the league had not reached out to the union to broach the salary cap disparity.

"There's only so many times you can beat your head against the wall," he said with steel in his voice. "If they wanted $45-million, I'm not saying we would have gone there, but they sure should have told us."

Said Goodenow: "I don't think it serves any purpose to be speculating on what ifs, because the what ifs aren't for real."

The two sides stayed mum after the final offer Tuesday night. There was no contact following the exchange of letters that ended around 12:30 a.m. ET.

With files from Canadian Press

Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.
  • Turf
    • Jul 2002

Visit ESPN for NHL live scores, video highlights and latest news. Stream exclusive ESPN+ games and play Fantasy Hockey.

Several sources have told ESPN The Magazine's EJ Hradek that a deal could be imminent that would un-cancel the 2004-05 season.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Turf
      • Jul 2002

If they come out of this weekend with a dud, they will drop a biggger egg than the first time this week.
      Could they be THAT stupid, well yeah.

But I doubt it. Odds favor an agreement and season happening this year.

Comment

• Turf
        • Jul 2002

This rumor site has been dead on all week. They claim the numbers are already agreed upon and it will be announced tomorrow.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

• Turf
          • Jul 2002

Guess I own my own thread here....

Deal in the works...

Lets see, what will I say...

WHOOOOHOOOOOOO Hockey is back!!!!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

I think the players realized that this is the best offer they will get. Come September or October, the offer will only be lower. They have to realize that the owners are serious now and are working to get a deal done. Because of the season being cancelled already...the only thing that can come out of the meeting is a deal...if a deal doesn't get done, they will ALL look like fools even more.

I just hope the owners said that now they want a $35 million cap or even $40. They better not budge any higher than the $42.

Comment

• Turf
              • Jul 2002

If it happens, the only thing I don't like whether it be 42.5, 35 or 45, is that there is no true revenue sharing. Why should large market teams make 20, 30 40 million with a small cap and small teams barely make or lose money?
              The owners are guilty in this regard. The large market owners do not want to share their wealth and the players have a legitimate gripe as well as I do. Those revenues should be shared throughout the league, but they won't be.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Turf
                If it happens, the only thing I don't like whether it be 42.5, 35 or 45, is that there is no true revenue sharing. Why should large market teams make 20, 30 40 million with a small cap and small teams barely make or lose money?
                The owners are guilty in this regard. The large market owners do not want to share their wealth and the players have a legitimate gripe as well as I do. Those revenues should be shared throughout the league, but they won't be.
                I agree. The reason why a $83 million cap works in the NFL is because they have TRUE revenue sharing. That's exactly what the NHL needs. Or nothing really changes.

Comment

• Turf
                  • Jul 2002

I had heard that the players proposal offered a 100% luxury tax over 45 million. This would at least present some form of revenue sharing. No on knows if it's a hard or soft cap.
                  BTW, Pang and Melrose have been on ESPN news for the last 15 mins or so, and they're talking about it like it's a done deal. In fact they're talking about how many games, training camps, and unsigned players.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Turf
                    I had heard that the players proposal offered a 100% luxury tax over 45 million. This would at least present some form of revenue sharing. No on knows if it's a hard or soft cap.
                    BTW, Pang and Melrose have been on ESPN news for the last 15 mins or so, and they're talking about it like it's a done deal. In fact they're talking about how many games, training camps, and unsigned players.
                    I like that 100% luxury tax. If they won't do the NFL style revenue sharing, at least they would have a tax that could be shared.

Comment

• regor
                      • Jul 2002

The sports station out of Tampa is saying it's a done deal too. They are saying it's a hard cap at 46 million and 100% luxery tax on anything over 42 million. Also said if more than 8 teams go over the 42 mill than that number goes down.

Comment

• Turf
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by regor
                        The sports station out of Tampa is saying it's a done deal too. They are saying it's a hard cap at 46 million and 100% luxery tax on anything over 42 million. Also said if more than 8 teams go over the 42 mill than that number goes down.

That's the exact player offer rumor I heard yesterday or earlier today.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by regor
                          I'm comfortable with that. The 100% tax will definitely help and no one can go over $45.

Comment

Working...
                          X