PDA

View Full Version : This team will be essentially the same next year.

ICE74129
02-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Looking at clumps numbers, we are essentially screwed as for as upgrading this team.

7.5 mill? Now allocate 1.5 minimum for the rookie cap (oh yeah, folks forgot about that!) and we have 6 mill to spend. Out of 6 mill we need the following...

Backup QB
STARTING Left Tackle
Backup RB
More OL help
Better #3 WR
Tight End help.

Not going to happen. What you see, minus Pat Williams, is what you will get.

My guess is this, We do the sheldon trade because we have no choice. No way we get a LT for anywhere near 3 mill per and NO Signing bonus. Either Shane Mathews is the backup or some washed up Neil O'donnell type will come in.

Backup RB? Not too sure who we can afford. I know I am not happy with S. Williams carrying the ball every down for 3-4 games if Willis gets hurt.

We still need more TE help as we don't have a starter one on this team regardless of what some fans think. TD and MM know this.

We have no #3 WR worth a crap and they know that too.

Pat Williams? No way in hell do we resign him. Too many needs on Offense. Why the hell did we Draft Anderson and why the hell extend Edwards contracts? it's time to PLAY these guys on a full time basis.

long story short, Unless a couple of players have contracts redone, Mike Williams, TKO, there is no way in hell we can get done what we need to on Offense this year. IF we re sign Pat williams we will be a top 3 D again....and miss the playoffs AGAIN this next year.

keithg
02-20-2005, 09:25 AM
that was one of the most depressing posts I've ever read...nice optimism!!!

Big M
02-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Relax. TD is probably crunching numbers and redoing contracts as we speak. I'm aware of CP's cap page but I'm sure the Bills will still aquire a few UFA's in March. TD stated during the DB press conference that the Offense needed some help ,so you can bank on seeing some new faces within the next 2 months. It's all creative accounting.

pleasesavedrew
02-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Im HAPPY this team is staying the same, this way we can finally build on sumthin because we wont have to adjust to any thing new besides JP

OpIv37
02-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Wait, I'm confused- I thought this team's only problem was Drew Bledsoe and now that we cut him, we're automatic Super Bowl winners. What gives?

BAM
02-20-2005, 10:45 AM
"negged"

- LOG

DaBills
02-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Where is the clutch kicker on that list? I'mfar more comfortable with Williams and Burns sharing duty for an injured WM than I am having Lindell on the team as an every down kicker. If things stay the same, and with a tougher schedule they may not, that means we end up being in some close games. Can we depend on Lindell then? Doubt it.

Michael82
02-20-2005, 11:44 AM
You are totally twisting Clump's numbers the wrong way. You are a fool if you believe that Mike Williams' numbers will be left alone and if you think that no other players will be released for some more cap. I think when TD is done with his contract stuff and releasing...he'll have about $10-12 million to spend.

B-DON
02-20-2005, 11:49 AM
i think we should draft gore in the 6th round. nice change of pace with willis shaud and gore

DraftBoy
02-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Lets also not forget that these UFA contracts can be worked to have low effects this year and more the following. The cap number doesnt neccessairly mean we cant sign anybody.

ICE74129
02-20-2005, 11:52 AM
You are totally twisting Clump's numbers the wrong way. You are a fool if you believe that Mike Williams' numbers will be left alone and if you think that no other players will be released for some more cap. I think when TD is done with his contract stuff and releasing...he'll have about $10-12 million to spend.
Well then SHOW ME. We have 9 days until free agency. By then cap numbers need to be adjusted. When I SEE that these contracts have been redone and not more of Tefflon Toms 'We can live with it' bull **** then I will believe it

The_Philster
02-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Well then SHOW ME. We have 9 days until free agency. By then cap numbers need to be adjusted. When I SEE that these contracts have been redone and not more of Tefflon Toms 'We can live with it' bull **** then I will believe it

cap numbers need to be adjusted before we sign anyone that puts us over the cap. At the start of free agency, we only need to be under the cap, which we are. We don't need all the ioffseason work done by then. :shakeno:

Michael82
02-20-2005, 12:18 PM
cap numbers need to be adjusted before we sign anyone that puts us over the cap. At the start of free agency, we only need to be under the cap, which we are. We don't need all the ioffseason work done by then. :shakeno:
EXACTLY! :up:

The Natrix
02-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Worst thread of 2005!

You can't be $23 million under every year.

Jan Reimers
02-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I think enough contracts will be reworked, plus overpaid players (compared to their productivity), e.g. Prioleau, released, that we'll have some decent cap room. Enough to address all of our needs? Probably not. Enough to keep us competitive? Certainly.

Why all the gloom and doom when the process is just starting?

Charlieguide
02-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Clumps numbers look well-researched. But why are he and BillsDaily.com so far off? BD is reporting the Bills to currently be under the cap by $14 million. :idunno:

Michael82
02-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Clumps numbers look well-researched. But why are he and BillsDaily.com so far off? BD is reporting the Bills to currently be under the cap by $14 million. :idunno:
ESPN is saying $13 million. I think either Clump is wrong, or the other sources don't know about these certain bonuses in Clements' and Williams' contracts.

ScottLawrence
02-20-2005, 02:38 PM
ESPN is saying $13 million. I think either Clump is wrong, or the other sources don't know about these certain bonuses in Clements' and Williams' contracts.

I'll take Clumps word for it.

the media isn't too good with these things.

Michael82
02-20-2005, 02:58 PM
I'll take Clumps word for it.

the media isn't too good with these things.
I agree. But I still don't see how Clump has a $6 million difference from ESPN, The Buffalo News, Rochester Democrat & Chronicle and other sites.

ScottLawrence
02-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I agree. But I still don't see how Clump has a $6 million difference from ESPN, The Buffalo News, Rochester Democrat & Chronicle and other sites.

Probably because they have no idea about the escalators to Mike Williams, and Nate Clements.

ICE74129
02-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Agree with Scott. Look Clump takes his numbers straight from the NFLPA. Apperantly ESPN, Bills daily etc don't

Tatonka
02-20-2005, 04:24 PM
the cap hasnt been raised yet.. which will give us some more room.. pioleau is gonna save us another 1.5 million.. and there will definately be something done with mike williams contract.

that is a lot of crying for FA not even starting yet.. lets wait to scream "The sky is falling!!!" until it actually does.

Marvelous
02-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Why are we cutting pioleau again? Don't say he sucks because he don't. If it's money then see if he restructures. I like having him and Reese in on 3rd and long situations. pioleau can blitz!. If we keep Reese then i'm cool with dropping him. I just want more options then Baker if Troy Vincent goes down.

I'm 99% sure Williams will restructure. He has to know that he made more money then the production he gave us his 1st two years. I wanna lock him up long term anyways...

Tatonka
02-20-2005, 04:57 PM
prioleau will be cut because he is the 3rd string safety... we have TV at FS, and Milloy at SS.. and Bakers as our future and backup at FS and wire at SS backing up milloy..

i think prioleau will be cut..

Jan Reimers
02-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Probably because they have no idea about the escalators to Mike Williams, and Nate Clements.
You may be right, but isn't it the job of their researchers to know stuff like that?

colin
02-21-2005, 06:16 AM
you don't sign new players to front loaded contracts then we will have room if we really want a player.

i thought MW would not restructure earlier, but i think this might be a good time to re sign him/extend him. i think he is gonna kick ass next year and might get more expensive.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Looking at clumps numbers, we are essentially screwed as for as upgrading this team.

7.5 mill? Now allocate 1.5 minimum for the rookie cap (oh yeah, folks forgot about that!) and we have 6 mill to spend. Out of 6 mill we need the following...

Backup QB
STARTING Left Tackle
Backup RB
More OL help
Better #3 WR
Tight End help.

Even assuming we need all of these things - and I'm not sure that we need TE, WR, or RB help all that badly - I think you are missing a number of things.

First, even if Clump is right and we have "only" $7.5 Mil in cap room at the present time, we will undoubtedly wind up with more. Prioleau will in all probability be released, freeing up another $1 Mil plus, and Big Mike may be reworked. We could end up $10-12 Mil ahead, which would certainly buy us a good bit of FA help.

Second, looking at your "needs," some are mutually exclusive. If, for instance, we trade Henry for Shelton in a cap neutral deal, we still have our positive cap situation, but no longer need an LT. If we trade Henry for a TE or WR, that need goes away. If we keep Henry, our cap situation remains the same, but we definitely don't need a backup RB.

Third, we have a real good nucleus of players, and don't need to pick up a bunch of high priced, aging "stars." I think we will sign players to fill some obvious holes - perhaps including a big name or two - but we don't really need to break the bank. We have plenty of big name, highly paid players already.

Fourth, we'll get some help from the draft, hopefully on the O line at least.

I think a lot of teams, e.g., Tennessee, would love to have our personnel, and still be many Millions under the cap.

Michael82
02-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Good post. I still don't understand why anyone is talking about the rookie cap already. That isn't needed until the Bills need to sign their rookies. They can free up more money when it's needed. IMO, we have $7.5 million to spend on free agents, but we can get more by doing little moves. And I'm not even worried about the rookie cap yet. We don't even have a 1st rounder.