X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Titans target six big names to beat cap

After weeks of hand wringing and number crunching, the Titans have decided to repair their salary cap dilemma by releasing some of the team's best and most popular players.

Barring last-minute changes, wide receiver Derrick Mason, cornerback Samari Rolle and defensive tackle Kevin Carter will be cut. Tackle Fred Miller, fullback Robert Holcombe and kicker Joe Nedney are expected to be cut as well.

The official announcement could come as early as tomorrow.

The Titans also have decided not to exercise their options on the contracts of tight end Shad Meier and wide receiver Eddie Berlin, making both players unrestricted free agents.

The number of releases, amount of money involved and the star power of the players make it the most dramatic round of cuts since the team moved to Tennessee in 1997.

The moves are part of the team's efforts to get below the NFL's salary cap by the league's March 2 deadline. The Titans entered the offseason $27 million over the cap, easily the highest figure in the league.

Over the past several weeks no attempts have been made to redo the contracts of the players scheduled to be cut, while several other players are having their contracts restructured.

Titans owner Bud Adams recently approved the plan to get under the salary cap after multiple discussions with team officials.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

lmao- this is great news. I can't wait to see that team fall on their asses next year.

What's the deal with Nedney? decent replacement for Lindell, or is he too expensive?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• That Guy
      • Apr 2004

Wow. That completely bolsters what will be in free agency this year. Derrick Mason had a fantastic year in 2004.

I haven't seen him play in a while, but I'm pretty sure Fred Miller was pretty good at one point, right? We could look into him...

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Hmm, Samari Rolle sounds nice...but I like Clements and McGee.

I'm interested in T Fred Miller, DT Kevin Carter (if TD doesn't re-sign Pat Williams), Derrick Mason to replace Josh Reed (but he'd cost too much, and I think Joe Nedney is better than Rian Lindell if he can stay healthy.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          lmao- this is great news. I can't wait to see that team fall on their asses next year.

What's the deal with Nedney? decent replacement for Lindell, or is he too expensive?
          Nedney is a very intriguing option, but he was on IR last year and the year before. He may come cheaper than you think. I like him.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by That Guy
            Wow. That completely bolsters what will be in free agency this year. Derrick Mason had a fantastic year in 2004.

I haven't seen him play in a while, but I'm pretty sure Fred Miller was pretty good at one point, right? We could look into him...
            This is from the Titans website...

Since arriving in Tennessee as an unrestricted free agent in 2000, Miller has started every game at right tackle. His streak of consecutive starts stands at 86 games, dating back to his 1998 season in St. Louis. Alongside right guard Benji Olson, the only other offensive lineman on the team to start every game over the last four seasons, Miller has helped Eddie George to three 1,000-yard seasons, including a career high in 2000 (1,509 yards), and has protected Steve McNair’s right side as the quarterback recorded three consecutive 3,000-yard seasons.

Comment

• That Guy
              • Apr 2004

When did Kevin Carter move to DT? I always remembered him being a DE.

And also, there's NO NO NO NO NO way Derrick Mason would play 3rd receiver. As an early guess, I'm thinking he's gonna be the first option in Baltimore if they can't get Randy Moss. Mason had 4 straight seasons of 1000+ yards and 70+ receptions.. and he quietly caught 96 passes last year.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Mason would help Baltimore tremendously, if that waste of skin Boller could get him the ball.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by That Guy
                  When did Kevin Carter move to DT? I always remembered him being a DE.

And also, there's NO NO NO NO NO way Derrick Mason would play 3rd receiver. As an early guess, I'm thinking he's gonna be the first option in Baltimore if they can't get Randy Moss. Mason had 4 straight seasons of 1000+ yards and 70+ receptions.. and he quietly caught 96 passes last year.
                  I could see Atlanta looking at Mason too. Hell, there would probably be a bidding war for him as a #1 receiver. Maybe even Seattle.

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
                    • Aug 2004

I'd take mason, and cut aiken and reed.
                    http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• regor
                      • Jul 2002

Mason is a #1 and will cost a lot. Forget about him. I would not mind looking at Nedney or Miller

Comment

• jmb1099
                        • Sep 2004

We should seriously consider Nedney.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jmb1099
                          We should seriously consider Nedney.
                          Yeah we should.

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
                            • Aug 2004

or vinitari
                            http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloJayhawk
                              or vinitari
                              I'd love that move, but he will cost wayyyyy too much and probably a draft pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X