PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Set to Cut LG Wahle and maybe Sharper...

Michael82
02-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Ted Thompson need look no further than the Green Bay Packers’ No. 25 finish in total defense last season to know he needs immediate help on that side of the ball.

Just how big an overhaul the Packers’ new general manager must orchestrate will depend in part on contract talks with Darren Sharper.

The 29-year-old Sharper has been a fixture at safety for the Packers since becoming a starter in 1998. He played in the Pro Bowl as recently as 2002. He’s scheduled to be the team’s second-highest-paid player this season, but has lost a step over the last two years because of injuries and age.

Finding a starting safety to replace free-agent bust Mark Roman is one of Thompson’s priorities this offseason, but Sharper’s excessively high salary-cap figure of $8.633 million, which includes $6 million in roster bonus and salary for this year, leaves the other safety spot in doubt as well...........

But Thompson and coach Mike Sherman have several other crucial decisions as well, starting with left guard Mike Wahle.

To get under the cap on March 2, the Packers will cut Wahle, who’s due a prohibitive $6 million roster bonus and $5 million salary. They can wait until as late as March 1 to make the move, and might do so to keep other teams from negotiating with him until then.

Wahle, 28, is one of the NFL’s premier guards and in the prime of his career. The Packers would love to have him back, because his ability to hit targets as a pulling guard is one of the keys to their run game.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_19888136.shtml

That Guy
02-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Wow... we might have a lot more players to choose from than we thought.

jamze132
02-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't see how we will be bale to afford Wahle and Pat Williams. Unless Pat signs for pennies, we can't have both. I wonder of it would be worth it to release Williams and pick up Wahle.

ScottLawrence
02-20-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't see how we will be bale to afford Wahle and Pat Williams. Unless Pat signs for pennies, we can't have both. I wonder of it would be worth it to release Williams and pick up Wahle.

Exactly why we should let Pat walk, and make Edwards/Anderson split time as the starter next year.

Save the money to work on the offensive line, I like Pat, but he is getting up there in age.

Michael82
02-20-2005, 02:21 PM
I think once TD works on Mike Williams' contract and make a couple cap cuts like Prioleau and someone else, he could work a way to have both. :up:

BillsFever21
02-21-2005, 03:21 AM
Giving that contract extension to Bledsoe is haunting us this year as I knew it would. It would sure be nice to have the 4 million extra he will cost in dead cap space this year due to his extension last season.

colin
02-21-2005, 06:07 AM
i'd take the whale over pat i suppose, but i want them both

Jan Reimers
02-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Giving that contract extension to Bledsoe is haunting us this year as I knew it would. It would sure be nice to have the 4 million extra he will cost in dead cap space this year due to his extension last season.
I knew this salary cap thing would be all Drew's fault.

ICE74129
02-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Screw Williams, we aren't signing him anyway. We need OFFENSE. Sign Wahle.

Earthquake Enyart
02-21-2005, 07:36 AM
I'd find it hard to believe that they'd let Sharper go. He's the heart of that defense.

ryjam282
02-21-2005, 10:49 AM
I am sure Donahoe will do something to work everything out...I say he will definitely sign Pat, but for how long? I say 3 years tops.

Iehoshua
03-11-2005, 12:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2009789

Let's sign him and move Vincent back to corner!

:jk:

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Sharper sucks. :down:

dannyek71
03-11-2005, 02:54 PM
LETS SIGN EVERYONE!

Michael82
03-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I'd find it hard to believe that they'd let Sharper go. He's the heart of that defense.
They cut him, EE. :up:

Billsouth
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
mayb he can play tackle