PDA

View Full Version : Better without Bledsoe

The_Philster
02-20-2005, 06:54 PM
A very significant story for the future of Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo happened, of all times, during the coin flip before the season's last game against Pittsburgh.

Big game for Buffalo. Very big. A win over Pittsburgh, which would be resting some of its stalwarts, and the Bills were still in the playoff hunt. Winds were whipping up pretty strong that day -- 17 mph. Before he walked out to midfield for the flip, Bledsoe was advised by coaches to choose to defend the east goal if Pittsburgh won the toss and elected to receive. That way, the Steelers wouldn't be wind-aided when they took the ball. Pittsburgh won the toss. Pittsburgh elected to receive. Bledsoe said Buffalo would defend the west goal....more (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/02/20/mmqb1/)
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/peter_king/02/20/mmqb1/t1_0220_bledsoe_ap.jpg

Philagape
02-20-2005, 07:11 PM
What a hater he is :snicker:

YardRat
02-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Just another bad "audible" :D

Novacane
02-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Nah, Bledsoes not arrogant :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
02-20-2005, 08:19 PM
the coaches got him a stop watch but they forgot to get Drew a compass too.

Novacane
02-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Great article. After reading that I'm more convinced than ever they made the right move dumping him

ScottLawrence
02-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Just another Drew like decision that back fired in a big game.

I don't care how bad Losman struggles, we made the right decision in dumping him.

OpIv37
02-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Just another Drew like decision that back fired in a big game.

I don't care how bad Losman struggles, we made the right decision in dumping him.

I think we made the right decision in dumping him, but I do care if Losman struggles. This team has too much talent and I'm gonna be pissed at Losman if he plays poorly and even more pissed at the front office and coaching staff for handing the most important position on the team to a virtual rookie.

DaBills
02-20-2005, 09:30 PM
" The Bills wanted Bledsoe to think short, but often he wouldn't."

Holy S---. Vindicated by Peter King. Never thought I'd see the day. ;-p

I always felt Drew's ego would never allow him to work the short game. He's got a big arm, and big arm QB's don't dink and dunk. Ironically, he seemed to do better when he did hit those screens and check-offs to keep drives moving.

Oh well. Hey Dallas fans, get ready. You'll love him. When you start seeing the sacks, just repeat: 'That's ok - he's a great character guy.'

BillsFever21
02-20-2005, 11:07 PM
This just shows how stupid and the size of his ego is. He takes it upon himself to make the decision instead of listening to what his boss told him to do. I guess Bledsoe thinks he's a coach or something.

My conspiracy theory:

Bledsoe was still a Patriot at heart amd accepted the trade to Buffalo in a conspiracy with the Patriots to make sure that he helped keep Buffalo from being a contender and challenging them for the division.

I'm know iit didn't happen but it's a nice conspiracy basing it off of how he played for 3 years.

BillsFever21
02-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Bledsoe hasn't played within a system for years. He's a 1 trick pony that always looks for the big play instead of taking what the defense will give him.

There's gotta be a reason this guy has had 7 different OC's in his career. Everyone kept false hope that a new system would make him better but there isn't a system out there to fit Bledsoe anymore.

" The Bills wanted Bledsoe to think short, but often he wouldn't."

Holy S---. Vindicated by Peter King. Never thought I'd see the day. ;-p

I always felt Drew's ego would never allow him to work the short game. He's got a big arm, and big arm QB's don't dink and dunk. Ironically, he seemed to do better when he did hit those screens and check-offs to keep drives moving.

Oh well. Hey Dallas fans, get ready. You'll love him. When you start seeing the sacks, just repeat: 'That's ok - he's a great character guy.'

Big M
02-21-2005, 04:44 AM
Drew was a class act off the field and a dunderhead on the field. The problem was many fans couldn't get by his Deity status :bow: to see he wasn't playing good football anymore. Blaming others became the norm.

Of course the Bills made the right decision. :clap:

mybills
02-21-2005, 05:46 AM
So, he's a classy ******?

Historian
02-21-2005, 06:26 AM
My conspiracy theory:

Bledsoe was still a Patriot at heart and accepted the trade to Buffalo in a conspiracy with the Patriots to make sure that he helped keep Buffalo from being a contender and challenging them for the division.

:rofl:

He is right about one thing though. That stadium creates a vortex with the wind. Just when you think you've got it pegged, the direction changes.

Still, the idiot has been playing games there for 11 years...he should already have known this and trusted his coaches.

Ickybaluky
02-21-2005, 09:29 AM
My favorite part of the article was this quote by Tom Brady:

"To be the highest-paid, or anything like that, is not going to make me feel any better," he said. "That's not what makes me happy. In this game, the more one player gets, the more he takes away from what others can get. Is it going to make me feel any better to make an extra million, which, after you take everything [taxes and other deductions] away, is about $500,000? That million might be more important to the team."

That might be the first time that sentiment was expressed by a professional athlete. I hope he puts his money where his mouth is.

Earthquake Enyart
02-21-2005, 09:30 AM
My favorite part of the article was this quote by Tom Brady:

"To be the highest-paid, or anything like that, is not going to make me feel any better," he said. "That's not what makes me happy. In this game, the more one player gets, the more he takes away from what others can get. Is it going to make me feel any better to make an extra million, which, after you take everything [taxes and other deductions] away, is about $500,000? That million might be more important to the team."

That might be the first time that sentiment was expressed by a professional athlete. I hope he puts his money where his mouth is.
Easy for him to say. He'll get a $15 mil signing bonus in the next two years.

Kerr
02-21-2005, 10:10 AM
We are better off. Our line should automatically look better with Loz back there. As long as the run game is clicking well throughout the whole season, I think he should do well. Believe me, having a good running game takes the pressure off any qb.

finsrclowns
02-21-2005, 10:42 AM
I wonder where King got the story about Bledsoe taking the wrong goal. Sounds like Mularkey, which IMO he didn't need to say. Bledsoe's gone. Let him go. Whether it was the right call will be seen on the field soon enough.

The funny thing about the Pittsburgh game is Mularkey's game plan sucked. He played not to lose. It was amazingly conservative. Don't use the no-huddle. Don't throw on first down. Don't throw down field. Then when your D and O have an off day against a team that didn't lay down like they expected, throw Bledsoe under the bus and say it was partly because Drew didn't get the coin toss right. Sure. Both teams had the wind for 2 quarters.

The other thing I found amusing is touting Brady as having more completions over 20 yards in the past three years. That has very little to do with Bledsoe not being able to complete deep passes, which he's still one of the best in the game at. This year the Bills threw only 22% of their passes over 10 yards, NE over 70%. If Bledsoe wasn't following the game plan would that be the case? And how many deep passes can you complete if you're not throwing many?

JP is the quarterback. Support him. Leave Bledsoe alone. Enough already.

cordog
02-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I wonder where King got the story about Bledsoe taking the wrong goal. Sounds like Mularkey, which IMO he didn't need to say. Bledsoe's gone. Let him go. Whether it was the right call will be seen on the field soon enough.

The funny thing about the Pittsburgh game is Mularkey's game plan sucked. He played not to lose. It was amazingly conservative. Don't use the no-huddle. Don't throw on first down. Don't throw down field. Then when your D and O have an off day against a team that didn't lay down like they expected, throw Bledsoe under the bus and say it was partly because Drew didn't get the coin toss right. Sure. Both teams had the wind for 2 quarters.

The other thing I found amusing is touting Brady as having more completions over 20 yards in the past three years. That has very little to do with Bledsoe not being able to complete deep passes, which he's still one of the best in the game at. This year the Bills threw only 22% of their passes over 10 yards, NE over 70%. If Bledsoe wasn't following the game plan would that be the case? And how many deep passes can you complete if you're not throwing many?

:clap:

djjimkelly
02-21-2005, 11:09 AM
bledsoe should be publicly beaten for defying the coach. on something like that. IMO in last 20 years there has been about 10 qb's who maybe and in a huge way i mean maybe would have been allowed to to give serious input on something like that. i also read somewhere that there were several instances of drew calling something different then coaches wanted or went through progressions in a diff order then coaches would have wanted..

anyway enouh of me bashing drew we got what we wanted and needed tommorrow it will be official and we can be FREE..

to quote chicken george WE FINALLY FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ickybaluky
02-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Easy for him to say. He'll get a $15 mil signing bonus in the next two years.

I'd be thrilled if he signed for only $15M up front. Manning got $34M. Brady gets more than $15M, even at a discount.

Mr. Cynical
02-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Fantastic article - great find.

Seriously, this should be the reference point for the Reality of Drew. It's not an immature Wysian-bash...it simply points out the truth.

My favorite part:

I look at it this way: You knew what you had with Bledsoe. He wasn't taking you to the promised land. You couldn't trust him. And so you go with the kid and hope for the best.

It's what the Patriots did. Served them pretty well, didn't it?
:up:

Mr. Cynical
02-21-2005, 02:07 PM
P.S. That stunt he pulled in the Pitt game removes ANY remorse I had about him getting cut. I felt a little sorry for him (not much, but some) but when you put that together with other comments he has made, it is clear he has only himself to blame. You can't suck AND be defiant. That just doesn't fly.

Canadian'eh!
02-21-2005, 03:28 PM

Great post. I never thought of any of this. One thing is certain... these are not the kind of things that would happen if Drew ends up in Dallas. Sounds like Drew needs Parcells to save himself from himself.

One other note... King apparently found a whole new way to brown nose his lover Tom Brady. Seriously... what started out a Drew article took a U turn into yet another Brady love fest. god.

Canadian'eh!
02-21-2005, 03:29 PM
oh yeah... and STUPID drew. just listen to the damn coach. you are just asking for trouble.

audio/s
02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
P.S. That stunt he pulled in the Pitt game removes ANY remorse I had about him getting cut. I felt a little sorry for him (not much, but some) but when you put that together with other comments he has made, it is clear he has only himself to blame. You can't suck AND be defiant. That just doesn't fly. i honestly don't think that loss was drew's fault but i do however think it was ryan's in ability to kick fg's and onside kicks

Mr. Cynical
02-21-2005, 05:17 PM
i honestly don't think that loss was drew's fault but i do however think it was ryan's in ability to kick fg's and onside kicks
Actually I was talking about Drew's decision to go against the coach's wishes, not the fault in the outcome of the game.

audio/s
02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
oh, yeah thats true.

Michael82
02-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Great article. After reading that I'm more convinced than ever they made the right move dumping him
As one of the biggest Drew fans on this board. I agree. I am disgusted to see the kind of ego Bledsoe had. I thought he was above that, but first that little dig of Losman and now the fact that he picked the wrong end zone because he thought it would be better. :mad:

DAMN YOU, Drew! You cost us the playoffs!!! :mad: :curse:

Michael82
02-22-2005, 12:11 PM
This really irritates the hell out of me. Why the hell would you disobey the coaches orders when he told you to pick a certain end zone? Why didn't one of the other field captains say something before he told the ref? The wind is a big factor on why Pitt was able to use the long ball and put up some points in the game. :mad:

I really thought Drew was above that. But come on man. Your coach is in charge. If he tells you to pick this side of the stadium, pick that side, damn it! Now the biggest question is...who is the mole? Who's out to burn Bledsoe publicly? i think it might be Sam Wyche. He's Peter King's contact, it seems like.

Michael82
02-23-2005, 08:13 AM
Did everybody read this article? Any thoughts?

Earthquake Enyart
02-23-2005, 08:27 AM
:z: