PDA

View Full Version : Will the Bills really draft Nugent in Round 2?

OpIv37
02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
That seems really high for a kicker, especially considering we have no first round pick.

Charlieguide
02-20-2005, 09:41 PM
I assume you know my answer, since I posted in a different thread not five minutes ago, but yes, I think they do. IMO, it's not about the normal order of things so much as the value of the player. Nugent was to OSU what Vinatieri was to NE: a clutch kicker comfortable on the big stage, able to kick and win under immense pressure. The NFL is nothing compared to the fan pressure that the city of Columbus puts on their college players. Believe me, I live there. Nugent is the real deal, and somebody will get him on day one. Given our team's needs, it might as well be us getting him.

Tatonka
02-20-2005, 10:15 PM
hell would freeze over first..

Jan Reimers
02-21-2005, 08:25 AM
That seems really high for a kicker, especially considering we have no first round pick.
Yeah, kickers are key guys, but I'd take a stud O lineman with our 2nd Round pick.

DraftBoy
02-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Charlieguy did Nugent not have some accuracy issues prior to this season? This season he was the man, but Im not about to be sold on one amazing year for a kicker. Go C and Ben Wilkerson.

jamze132
02-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Remember there are 19-20 teams that pick in the 2nd round before we do. And as much as I want us to draft him, I think he will be gone.

wbat27
02-21-2005, 08:49 AM
What if we trade henery for an another 2nd, then we could still get a O lineman and the kicker

Dr. Lecter
02-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Yeah, kickers are key guys, but I'd take a stud O lineman with our 2nd Round pick.
Getting a stud O-Lineman in the 2nd round, especially this year, is unlikely.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Getting a stud O-Lineman in the 2nd round, especially this year, is unlikely.
Guess it depends on your definition of "stud." There will certainly be some quality O linemen in the 2nd Round.

ryven
02-21-2005, 09:23 AM

It depends on wether or not the bills trade henry for shelton if this happens I say yes. If they dont trade players they still may but its more unlikely to happen.

Pride
02-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Personally I hope we do!

You ever think that Oakland has to question a 40 yard FG attempt? Think they stress as much as we do if their last drive of the game when down by 2 peters out on the 30 yard line?

Kickers are WAAAY undervalued in this league. For a position that usually wins or loses 2-3 games a year... you would think it woudl be worth it!

R. Rich
02-21-2005, 09:30 AM
At the present time, I'd have to say the top 3 kickers in the NFL are:

Adam Vinatieri
Mike Vanderjagt
David Akers

Maybe someone could Google up the rounds in which these 3 were taken in the draft.

Earthquake Enyart
02-21-2005, 09:32 AM

Adam Vinatieri
Mike Vanderjagt
David Akers

Maybe someone could Google up the rounds in which these 3 were taken in the draft.
Maybe you should do it.

No freaking way do you draft a kicker in the second round.

R. Rich
02-21-2005, 09:35 AM
No need, EE. I already knew the answer.

That Guy
02-21-2005, 09:39 AM
For the sake of proving your point:
Akers - Not drafted
Vandy - Not drafted
Vinatieri - Not drafted

R. Rich
02-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Imagine that.

Good thing we've already taken care of the LT, LG, C, pass rush, and depth at CB issues, so we can use our highest pick in the draft on a kicker.

ryven
02-21-2005, 09:42 AM
I thought vanderjagt was a 1st rounder?

That Guy
02-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Janikowski is the only first-rounder I remember in recent history.

ryven
02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I gues I was wrong just googled him.

R. Rich
02-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Hey ryven; sup fool! Long time since I've heard from you. Please tell me you're not in favor of using our top pick on a kicker (are you??).

OpIv37
02-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Imagine that.

Good thing we've already taken care of the LT, LG, C, pass rush, and depth at CB issues, so we can use our highest pick in the draft on a kicker.

don't forget backup QB, although I hope we're not handling that one through the draft.

Kerr
02-21-2005, 10:04 AM
I think we pickup a kicker or a pass rushing defensive lineman in the 2nd. Trading Henry for Shelton would make that decision much easier.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Imagine that.

Not to mention, in many posters' opinions, WR and TE. I agree, Rich, no kickers with our 2nd Round pick.

With all the great soccer players around, couldn't we find just one to kick in Buffalo?

Michael82
02-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Hell no. Tom Donahoe never drafts a need, he likes to draft the best player available no matter what position. Plus, like others said...the top kickers have been undrafted. Hell, look at our punter (undrafted). I hope he doesn't too. The only way I wouldn't mind drafting him in round 2 is if the Bills had 2 2nd rounders for some reason.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-21-2005, 11:53 AM

Adam Vinatieri
Mike Vanderjagt
David Akers

Get David Akers Donahoe

ryven
02-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey ryven; sup fool! Long time since I've heard from you. Please tell me you're not in favor of using our top pick on a kicker (are you??).

To tell you the truth I dont know. All I know is we need a kicker who is used to playing in harsh windy conditions and now a days it seems there really aren't to many in FA and the one in FA are going to be expensive(i.e. viniteri). From what I have read and have heard this mike nugent might be the right answer. I however would like OL fixed first this is why I would only feel comfortable with pick if we could trade henry for an O-linemen(i.e. shelton) or an extra 2 round pick.

ryven
02-21-2005, 12:02 PM
and R. Rich hows life been treating you?

DanS
02-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Tom Donahoe never drafts a need, he likes to draft the best player available no matter what position. donahoe drafts like going to the supermarket hungry....always end up getting what looks good at the time instead of what you really need...

Crisis
02-21-2005, 12:06 PM
donahoe drafts like going to the supermarket hungry....always end up getting what looks good at the time instead of what you really need...

It's worked.

McGahee, Evans, Clements, Big Mike is coming along.

DanS
02-21-2005, 12:09 PM
It's worked.

McGahee, Evans, Clements, Big Mike is coming along.
other than clements, all these players obviously contributed to our top offense in the league

Kerr
02-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Nay to a kicker in round 2? San Diego drafted a kicker in round 2 last year. It worked out since his leg helped them get to the playoffs. It was part of the puzzle. It sounds stupid, but we need a better kicker.

Michael82
02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Nay to a kicker in round 2? San Diego drafted a kicker in round 2 last year. It worked out since his leg helped them get to the playoffs. It was part of the puzzle. It sounds stupid, but we need a better kicker.
You forget something though. That same kicker couldn't make the kick when it counted and they lost the playoffs.

Crisis
02-21-2005, 12:37 PM
other than clements, all these players obviously contributed to our top offense in the league

McGahee and Evans are the only reasons we won 9 games.

dannyek71
02-21-2005, 12:39 PM
1000zbs that Bills do not draft Nuget with their first pick.
Everyone aruguing that the Bills take him with their 2nd round pick put your money where your mouth is.
Any takers?

TigerJ
02-21-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't think so. But maybe that's just me.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-21-2005, 03:47 PM
I don't want the Bills to draft a K we need a good veteran. do you remember the last time when we had (2) young k's and they both we're terrible. They couldn't kick a field goal to save thier lives now do you want to go through that again? I don't and if you draft a K you're going have to go through that all over again.

Kerr
02-21-2005, 09:23 PM
You forget something though. That same kicker couldn't make the kick when it counted and they lost the playoffs.

True, but for a rookie he had a great season. The point is drafting a kicker high in not always a bad idea. It helped San Diego win more games than it did with a worn down Steve Christie

Charlieguide
02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Charlieguy did Nugent not have some accuracy issues prior to this season? This season he was the man, but Im not about to be sold on one amazing year for a kicker. Go C and Ben Wilkerson.

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nugent_mike00.html

range (50+yds), accuracy (48/61=84%), game-winners, big-time stadium and pressure, All-American as a soph.

Only accuracy problems were his frosh year: 7-of-14, see career # above . . . he only missed SIX the next 3 years.

Yeah, he's pretty good.

Rookie kicker in playoff OT from 40 yards on muddy grass?! Norwood had a better chance than that!

1000zbs that Bills do not draft Nuget with their first pick.
Everyone aruguing that the Bills take him with their 2nd round pick put your money where your mouth is.
Any takers?

you only have 134. :meh2:

Dr. Lecter
02-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Going the undrafted route for a kicker can work out very well. The examples earlier of Akers, Vinatieri and Vanderjagt are proof of that. But there are many, mant more UDFA kickers that go nowhere. And it is a crapshoot to get a talented guy like that. Pretty much, it is pure luck.

Nugent is as close to a sure thing as you can get for a kicker in the draft. The guys is good. His makes almost all of kicks, has kicked in crappy weather and booms kick-offs.

If he is there, take him. He solves a glaring weakness on this team. He could add two or three wins to this team. (Picture him kicking a 29 yeard chip shot that was missed and changed momentum against the Steelers this year).

venis2k1
02-22-2005, 01:05 AM
No other player in the second round will even come close to having the same impact on the bills NEXT year as nugent would have. unless Bass is there, or wilkerson wows the bills brass at the combine, i think it would be a great idea. as for a second rounder being too high to pick a kicker, i would trade all the ryan dennys and josh reeds of the world for a few touchbacks a game, and a guy i can have confidence in when our offense cant put it in. lindell is 4/12 over 40 yards after he became a bill. if that not a need position, i dont know what is.

and BTW, SD drafted their kicker in the 3rd round i think, they got that big ol DT IGOR in the second, unless they had 2 seconds because of the trade with the giants, im too lazy to check.

if you were wondering BTW the bills have lost 6 games in the past 2 years by 3 points or less.

venis2k1
02-22-2005, 01:12 AM

Adam Vinatieri
Mike Vanderjagt
David Akers

ready now quick name the 4 best teams in the NFL, i bet these guys play for 3 of them. i dont know what that means, but ponder that one for a moment.

Farley
02-22-2005, 02:12 AM
We do not need to waste a second round pick on a kicker when we have such a weak OL, add to that the fact that either Adams or Williams could possibally be cut. Add to that the fact that we are in dier need of a big play TE.

venis2k1
02-22-2005, 02:53 AM
We do not need to waste a second round pick on a kicker when we have such a weak OL, add to that the fact that either Adams or Williams could possibally be cut. Add to that the fact that we are in dier need of a big play TE.

we already addressed LT, LG is still a need, but FA hasnt even started yet, Im sure TD will go out and get a decent Gaurd. adams isnt going anywhere, not this year anyway, IF williams goes, we will not go DT in the second round, DTs usually take the longest to transition to the pros from the college game, you almost never see a rookie DT make an impact, besides we have ron edwards, there is no doubt in my mind he can hold down the d-line with big sam. as for the big play TE, unfortunatly they dont grow on trees, and every team in the NFL seems to be looking for one.

Devin
02-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Imagine that.

all that needs to be said. great post.

Farley
02-22-2005, 10:22 AM
DTs usually take the longest to transition to the pros from the college game.I disagree, I think linebacker is a much tougher transition, as is defensive back.

B-DON
02-22-2005, 10:51 PM
take nugent and like it

kevinj22
02-22-2005, 11:40 PM
I say that if he's there we should take him. When you look at our team tell me where is our ONE glaring need? We don't have one. What we need is more depth at certain positions. This guy is a game changer and a solid kicker. Let's not forget how many games we've lost by 3THREE!!! or less over the last two years. If he's there TAKE HIM!!!!!