PDA

View Full Version : Redskins to release Laveraneous Coles?

Ickybaluky
02-21-2005, 03:26 AM
I didn't see this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40538-2005Feb20.html) coming:

Redskins Likely to Release Coles
Gibbs, Snyder Agree to Unhappy Wide Receiver's Request to Leave Team
By Nunyo Demasio
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, February 21, 2005; Page D01

Washington Redskins wide receiver Laveranues Coles has had at least two extensive conversations with Coach Joe Gibbs since the season ended which are expected to lead to his release from the team, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Sources confirmed last night that Gibbs, Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and Roosevelt Barnes, the agent for Coles, have reached an oral agreement that will likely lead to his release, making the 27-year-old wideout an unrestricted free agent.

Coles met privately with Gibbs at Redskins Park to express his unhappiness with the offense and a desire to leave the club.

Gibbs has acknowledged meeting twice with Coles, including earlier this month, but he turned reticent and cryptic when asked about the possibility of Coles's departure.

"We had a couple of good talks. That's the only statement I want to make," Gibbs said earlier this week. "Me and Laveranues talked, and we have a good understanding."

(edited out)

Gibbs, who also serves as team president, intends to accommodate Coles's request instead of keeping a player who prefers to be elsewhere, said two other sources who requested anonymity.

Should Coles be released, one source said, he would return part of his $13 million signing bonus to minimize salary cap ramifications. Tomorrow is the first day that NFL teams are allowed to waive players.

Sources said that late this past season Coles requested a trade after meeting with Snyder and Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato, since they were the two most responsible for acquiring him in 2003. But after discussions with Gibbs, a collective decision was made to likely waive Coles.

(edited out rest)

BillsFever21
02-21-2005, 03:31 AM
Didn't see this coming at all.

He cashed in big time to play 2 years with the Skins. He's had the catches but lacks the TD's. I think he was hampered with an injury that slowed him down this season wasn't he?

He'll make a great 2nd WR for somebody if he signs for a reasonable price.

OpIv37
02-21-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm in DC and the local media's been talking about it all morning. I'm kind of surprised because their offense was terrible last year, and he's one of their better players. Washington's starting receivers are going to be James Thrash and another guy whose name I can't even remember- it doesn't look good for him.

Ickybaluky
02-21-2005, 07:04 AM
Actually, the worst part about it is they gave up a 1st round pick to sign the guy. Basically, that extra 1st round pick allowed the Jets to trade up for Dwayne Robertson.

clumping platelets
02-21-2005, 07:05 AM
How long til he goes back to the Jets? :mad:

Bills 4 life
02-21-2005, 08:29 AM
EXACTLY..I THINK HE REALIZED HIS CAREER TOOK A FALL WHEN HE LEFT NYJ!

DynaPaul
02-21-2005, 08:35 AM
If we could get him on the cheap he could take Josh Reed's spot.

Jersey1031
02-21-2005, 08:42 AM
id completely support him over reed, but you think he'd play the slot?

Stewie
02-21-2005, 08:44 AM
he's not a slot receiver. moulds, however, would be a perfect slot receiver.

Ickybaluky
02-21-2005, 08:44 AM
How long til he goes back to the Jets? :mad:

Actually, I think the Jets go after Mason before Coles. They hired the guy that has been Mason's OC the last few years this offseason as their OC. One would think he will reach out for one of his old players.

My guess is the Jets go hard after Mason and drop Chrebet. That would give them a real good WR corps of McCariens, Mason and Moss. Moss could then be rested at times and used more as a return man on ST.

If that happens, and Chrebet is cut loose, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the Patriots. Belichick and Chrebet were really close, and Bill has always spoken real highly of Chrebet. Belichick used to always talk about how Chrebet gave his defense so much trouble in practice when he was with the Jets. With David Patten likely gone to FA, the Pats would have a spot for Chrebet.

Of course, that assumes Chrebet doesn't retire. He seemed to come back from his concussions last year (played in all 16 games with 1 start), but was kind of phased out of the Jets offense.

Jersey1031
02-21-2005, 08:54 AM
moulds, however, would be a perfect slot receiver.

hah, fat chance that would ever happen...

That Guy
02-21-2005, 09:12 AM
he's not a slot receiver. moulds, however, would be a perfect slot receiver.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ha ha ha ha.

I don't want Coles, really. I believe he's had a history of having an attitude along with problems with the law. I'll pass. If we're going to overload on receivers, we might as well get a really good one.

Stewie
02-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Hey I didn't say Moulds would play the slot. Just that he'd be really good at it. He's a big, physical guy that runs excellent routes and uses his body to position himself very well.

I think the whole idea of the slot being your #3 guy is a little stupid, anyway. Why couldn't Moulds and Evans start, and Moulds play the slot when you have 3 wr's on the field?

The_Philster
02-21-2005, 10:17 AM
I think the whole idea of the slot being your #3 guy is a little stupid, anyway. Why couldn't Moulds and Evans start, and Moulds play the slot when you have 3 wr's on the field?No reason at all....I think some guy on his way to the HOF in a few years did that for quite a while...went by the name A. Reed. :scratch:

Ickybaluky
02-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Now the Redskins are reportedly backing off the agreement to release him in hopes of trading him (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1996404).

BAM
02-21-2005, 12:00 PM
90 catches.. only 1 TD. :eek:

dannyek71
02-21-2005, 02:19 PM
laverneous in philly

losman2evans
02-21-2005, 07:47 PM
chrebet to the bills in stead of reed?

Iehoshua
02-21-2005, 07:49 PM
chrebet to the bills in stead of reed?
Chrebet is crippled. No thanks, I'd prefer Josh to Wayne.