PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe.. Addition by Subtraction?

Pride
02-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Ok... alot of you are very concerned about the state of our offensive line... and rightfully so!

But I have been thinking alot recently about whether or not we will actually take a step back this year by having JP in there.

While he still has a learning curve to go through, I feel just as strongly about this team now as I did prior to DB being released. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I believe that JP could possibly make our OLine better!

Last year, when teams would line up to defend us... they KNEW that if they sent 7 guys after DB... he would fall into their trap. He would make bad throws, bad choices, and eventually help us lose the game. DB wasnt the guy you could throw the rest of the team on the back and have him win it (like favre, kelly, or young in their prime).

This year... when teams line up... they cannot stack the line hoping to sack a statue. The line got MUCH better last year at protecting the statue... and it is even easier to protect a QB with pocket presence. Who knows how to step up to avoid an outside rusher, or how to step left to avoid a DT.

That could significantly change the way the defense plays us. And therefore, could open up larger holes in the defense for the running game. Yes, Willis had a good year last year... but I think it could have been better. While defenses were constantly blitzing DB, it also hurt the running game! By having a QB who can move around, and still make a play using his arm... it should make the D drop more into coverage.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Novacane
02-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Twilight zone?

Mr. Miyagi
02-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Moved to the appropriate forum.

Forward_Lateral
02-21-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't think we can consider JP to have any kind of presence until we actually see him play. Just because a guy can run, doesn't give him "pocket presence". Just my opinion. I'm personally reserving any judgement, good or bad, on Losman until I see him play in a meaningful situation.

Pride
02-21-2005, 08:48 AM
LOL whoops! Thanks Myagi!

OpIv37
02-21-2005, 08:55 AM
my only problem with this assessment: penalties. When QB's scramble, O-linemen often find themselves blocking in the wrong direction and are much more susceptible to holding calls. None of Buffalo's O-linemen have played with a moblie QB and I think they're going to have some learning curve issues of their own.

Also, as long as JP is new and inexperienced, defensive coordinators will come after him until he proves he can beat them. Hopefully that will occur sooner rather than later...

jamze132
02-21-2005, 08:57 AM
I agree with Pride.

I think TD made the right decision fort this franchise.

Mr. Cynical
02-21-2005, 01:48 PM
:lastyr:

:jk:

Yes, I agree. I said the same things many times before. :D