PDA

View Full Version : numbers just thrown out

ticatfan
02-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Since you guys know more about the NFL then I do, take a look at the NFL cap #'s and put them up to the 42.5 mil that the owners gave. The NFL have something like 53 players on a 85 mil cap and the players turned down 42.5 with 20 or so players. If that is right,that to me proves the players are the greedy ones here.And the NFL is the best run league out there and alot more revenue then the NHL.

Michael82
02-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Not to mention..I heard that the NHL players are currently getting an average of $1.8 million per year. That's more than the NFL, the best and most popular, money grossing team in the country.

Myers57
02-21-2005, 09:57 PM
This is why a cap is the owners only option, who really wants the NHL to turn into the MLB?

It's not feasible with the low income the league is currently getting...

Dozerdog
02-21-2005, 11:19 PM
The NFL and players agred to split the TV / radio and ticket revenue pie.

The NFL players get a guaranteed 66%. That means for now, each NFL team has an $86 million cap on the top 51 players under contract.

The NFL owners also share all their revenue. There are no local TV contracts - just a national agreement negotiated by the league. Owners split the gate receipts 60-40 with the visiting team.

Guaranteed money and cost certainty.

In the NHL, NBA, & MLB teams negotiate & keep their local TV revenue, not sure how ticket revenue is split- and all teams equally share much smaller national TV deals. Over Half the programming of these TV deals are the playoffs.

In the NHL particularly, I think that somewhere around 75-85% of total revenues are spen ton players- with many teams handicapped on what they can spend due to small market size.

The NHL wants to fix player costs at NFL levels. They need the NHL player's union to partner witht them and agree to a fixed player cost.

Bill Brasky
02-22-2005, 07:16 PM
The only good thing about this season being cancelled is we don't have to hear the word "battle" 509234 times in pre and post-game press conferences.