PDA

View Full Version : Time right for Buffalo to dump Drew

The_Philster
02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
When the Buffalo Bills announced Drew Bledsoe's pending release last week, there was some gnashing of teeth from fans wary of heading into 2005 with a very raw quarterback running the offense.

Anyone who believed the Bills were going to get any better with Bledsoe under center apparently missed the season finale.

That might be because most fans did all they could to suppress the memory of Pittsburgh's visit to Orchard Park.

For those who succeeded, here's a quick recap. With the running game beginning to dominate, the special teams making huge plays in just about every facet of the kicking game and the long-overrated defense starting to earn its reputation by coming up big when it counted, the Bills rode a six-game winning streak into the final week of the regular season...more (http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/sports2.22.05.html)

Mr. Cynical
02-21-2005, 05:28 PM
You can directly attribute one of Buffalo's nine wins in 2004, the 42-32 shootout in Miami, to Bledsoe. In the rest of the victories, he played well enough not to lose. In the seven losses, he was either a non-factor or a disaster (check out the game tapes from Baltimore and Sunday night in New England, if you didn't burn them and have a strong stomach). Looks like he took a page from the Amigo Chronicles. :;

jamze132
02-21-2005, 09:52 PM
It's gonna be tough for JP to play that bad.

Big M
02-22-2005, 05:07 AM
It's gonna be tough for JP to play that bad.

JP will make his mistakes but hopefully will learn from them. His style is the polar opposite of DB. The playbook will be vastly different, with more rollouts and high percentage short passes. The occasional long ball will still be effective. The running game will still be the backbone of this offense and should take the pressure off of Losman.

I'm sure teams will try 7,8 in the box, stuffing the run and forcing Losman to make a play, which always killed Bledsoe. The difference being he can rollout and complete the short pass. Once he does that, the all-out blitz will end.

I'm very excited heading into 2005. I just viewed Bledsoe as the killer of all hope against good Defenses. The Bills need help in other areas as well but trying to downplay the galling Bledsoe shortcomings/gaffs as minimal or someone elses fault, never worked with me.

Change at the QB position was needed.

mybills
02-22-2005, 05:42 AM
Unlike Drew (my way is right) ...JP will follow the coaches directions. I still can't believe Blindsoe chose to defend the opposite goal that MM told him to defend. :dizzy:

Historian
02-22-2005, 05:48 AM
Unlike Drew (my way is right) ...JP will follow the coaches directions. I still can't believe Blindsoe chose to defend the opposite goal that MM told him to defend. :dizzy:

That's true, although in his defense, two years of watching Gregg Williams make every decision incorrectly, certainly could wear on a quarterback's psyche, lol.

mybills
02-22-2005, 05:53 AM
:chuckle: You're too kind! I won't even give Drew credit for that, I've seen him watch two huge Jets defenders run over him because he made the brilliant decision not to get out of bounds! :snicker: