PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else heard this about Henry/Shelton?

BillsFever21
02-21-2005, 04:56 PM
On my way home my local radio station said that a trade for Henry and Shelton has been accepted as long as they both pass their physicals.

I can't find any news online about this but that's what they said on the radio.

Jayhawk
02-21-2005, 05:02 PM
nope, I haven't

Novacane
02-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I heard Shelton was in Buffalo again today

ScottLawrence
Trades can't happen until March 2nd.

Crisis
I have a feeling it's gonna fall through if they agreed this early.

Crisis
02-21-2005, 05:13 PM
I just read on a 'Zona board that Shelton did not start at all last year.

Is this true?

The_Philster
02-21-2005, 05:20 PM

Is this true?

No...he started 9 played 12
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133410

Mr. Cynical
02-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Shelton = Mike Williams pre-McNally. (hopefully)

Crisis
02-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Shelton sounds like a worse version of Jennings. Looks like we're down-grading here. Atleast he'll be cheaper.

ScottLawrence
02-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Shelton sounds like a worse version of Jennings. Looks like we're down-grading here. Atleast he'll be cheaper.

He has more experience then Jennings, he has had better seasons, and isn't injury prone.

His Stats:

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=4670&Submit=Go

gimpy
02-21-2005, 05:39 PM
On my way home my local radio station said that a trade for Henry and Shelton has been accepted as long as they both pass their physicals.

I can't find any news online about this but that's what they said on the radio.
WGR?

BillsFever21
02-21-2005, 05:42 PM
WGR?
No, I'm from PA. It's not a Sports station they just cover local sports.

Jeff1220
02-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Smart move for both teams really. Henry could be a difference maker in ARZ and, as we are all aware, the Bills need OL help. Shelton is just the type of guy that could turn out to his potential with an OL coach like McNally.

cordog
02-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Nice move by TD here. Gets a LT that is in the same ballpark as JJ at a much cap friendlier number.

HAMMER
02-21-2005, 07:10 PM

I could care less if he plays for a $1, he better be able to block or TD and the Bills will be hurtin'.

Marvelous
02-21-2005, 08:28 PM

Is this true?

That's just great <sarcasm
Am i the only one who thinks this trade is one sided? Although a LT is primo esp to us, Shelton has proved what so far?

don137
02-21-2005, 08:29 PM
As long as Shelton is not another Robert Hicks...

Charlieguide
02-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Shelton and Henry are both question marks right now. Both have big talent, and have produced well in the past, but had very bad outings in 2004. It's a fair trade . . . I just hope TD doesn't use it as an excuse to let JJ go. We need to improve on OL talent, not on their salary cap numbers.

TigerJ
02-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Shelton was a first round draft choice. That means he was thought to be very good coming out of college. Somewhere along the way he got the dreaded "underachiever" tag hung around his neck. He came to training camp overweight and out of shape last summer. Though he claimed that it was due to his recuperation from an injury, he ended up in Dennis Green's dog house, and never got out. he has started several years at left tackle. He has allowed more sacks than a top notch LT ought to, but maybe if Jim McNally gets a hold of him, he can turn Shelton into the tackle people thought he'd be coming out of college.

He is said to be coachable and willing to work.

Meathead
02-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Nobody knows what would happen with this guy Shelton but just keep in mind that Bruce Smith was considered an underachiever early in his career here. McNally has done a lot more with less.

jamze132
02-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Shelton has experience which Jonas did not. It's hard to say who's better between those two, but Shelton would be way cheaper. The guy was a 1st round pick, so he has talent. McNally just might get it out of him. And I am sure that Donahoe will consult with McNally on any move involving a lineman.

Kenny
02-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Shelton was a first round draft choice. That means he was thought to be very good coming out of college. Somewhere along the way he got the dreaded "underachiever" tag hung around his neck. He came to training camp overweight and out of shape last summer. Though he claimed that it was due to his recuperation from an injury, he ended up in Dennis Green's dog house, and never got out. he has started several years at left tackle. He has allowed more sacks than a top notch LT ought to, but maybe if Jim McNally gets a hold of him, he can turn Shelton into the tackle people thought he'd be coming out of college.

He is said to be coachable and willing to work.
My thoughts exactly... If Shelton does come here, it's with McNally's approval. And if Mouse can turn Mike Williams from a giant overstuffed teddybear into a decent player, than I have very high hopes for Shelton.

As you said, the 'potential' is there. Im sure it will be an initial downgrade from Jennings to Shelton, but if there's anyone who can unleash this hidden 'potential and turn LJ into the stud he was projected to be, -it's McNally.

Marvelous
02-21-2005, 09:53 PM
It also concerns me that the LT market is skimpy now that Pace and Seattle's LT signed or got tagged. That means we could be in trouble if JJ walks and LJ is well not up to par. Not to be negative but more like concerned.

don137
02-22-2005, 07:08 AM
It also concerns me that the LT market is skimpy now that Pace and Seattle's LT signed or got tagged. That means we could be in trouble if JJ walks and LJ is well not up to par. Not to be negative but more like concerned.

One thing to remember is Teague could play LT is he was asked so its not like the Bills don't have any options. I am not saying Teague is a great option at LT just an option..

ICE74129
02-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Bottom line, find us a LT with MORE talent and will take LESS money than sheldon...crickets chirping..........

That is what I thought. Great trade for both teams.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Bottom line, find us a LT with MORE talent and will take LESS money than sheldon...crickets chirping..........

That is what I thought. Great trade for both teams.

RIGHT ON THE MONEY...
actually a better trade for the Bills because if both teams were to keep these guys on their own rosters, at least Shelton would be a solid contributor to the Cards, but due to Henry being unhappy with a backup role, I would have been surprised to see Henry bring anything significant to the team next year.

Let's just hope the trade goes down, and no other team with a RB to trade jumps in to compete before March 2.

Tatonka
02-22-2005, 08:28 AM
i love the trade.. and after witnessing mcnally turn trey teague into a decent center.. turn ross tucker into a contributor, and help mike williams get over the hump and become a strong RT (after some people were ready to cut him during training camp) I think that if the bills and Mcnally want shelton, then he is going to be a hell of a player.

no doubt in my mind.

plus, no player stays as a starter at LT for 4 years and gets a 5 year extension if they suck.. sorry.. and when looking at the sack totals.. you have to take into consideration who the LG was as well as who the QBs were for zona.. i dont know about the LG, but i know that the QBs have sucked.. jake the fake, mccown, shawn king??

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Well, it looks like if the deal goes down and we do get him, he will very likely miss a few games with an ankle injury.
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/player_bio.html?iid=63

It looks like re-signing Price should remain a high priority as he will be likely to see some time.

ryjam282
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I would love the move.

RedEyE
02-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Well, it looks like if the deal goes down and we do get him, he will very likely miss a few games with an ankle injury.
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/player_bio.html?iid=63

It looks like re-signing Price should remain a high priority as he will be likely to see some time.

That was 2003. That link gives no mention to 2004.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 11:13 AM
LJ Shelton was placed on IR toward the end of the season. He injured his left knee at the end of the season and he has had recuring Ankle problems throughout his career. Although I must say that he is not afraid to play hurt. I think he played with a bad ankle the entire 2003 season.

Earthquake Enyart
02-22-2005, 11:52 AM
I'd try to strong arm the Cards to throw in a 4th too since we are taking on so much more salary.

Ed
02-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't really know anything about Shelton, but if it took Leonard Davis 3 years to take over the LT spot for the Cards, that would lead me to believe that Shelton was pretty good prior to last season. As long as he's willing to work and doesn't have an attitude problem I love the trade. I mean I don't want to see us pay probowl type money to a guy that hasn't even been able to play a full season in 4 years.

Also, Sam Adams had a bad rep coming out of Oakland and that worked out great for us. So if TD and company have met with Shelton and like what they see, I trust that they'll make the right choice.

venis2k1
02-22-2005, 12:40 PM
First of all i havent heard anyone mention Sheltons rookie hold out, he didnt go to camp his rookie year and missed the first 2 games of the season waiting for a contract. dont really know much about the situation outside of what is there, but knowing arizona, its prolly their fault. as for adams/shelton comparison, when adams came here he was exactly what i thought he would be. he went to the sb 2 of 3 years before he came here, and most impressivly the defense he was on ranked in the top 5 in the NFL in run defense for 5 straight years before he came here.

Just Win Baby
02-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Good move by getting Shelton. Henry wasn't going to play for you guys anyway, so atleast you got a starting left tackle in return.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't really know anything about Shelton, but if it took Leonard Davis 3 years to take over the LT spot for the Cards, that would lead me to believe that Shelton was pretty good prior to last season. As long as he's willing to work and doesn't have an attitude problem I love the trade. I mean I don't want to see us pay probowl type money to a guy that hasn't even been able to play a full season in 4 years.

Also, Sam Adams had a bad rep coming out of Oakland and that worked out great for us. So if TD and company have met with Shelton and like what they see, I trust that they'll make the right choice.That was Dave McGinnis's fault. He didn't have the balls to shuffle the Offensive line so he stuck a #2 overall pick at guard for 3 years. As soon as Green took over and watched the tapes he knew that what we had wasn't working. He put Big where he belonged at LT. Shelton came into training camp way overweigth which instantly put him into Green's dog house. Shelton didn't earn a starting role until week #5 when he replace Clement at RT.

Shelton doesn't have an Attitude problem. He will play hurt. He really is a good guy in real life.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 01:27 PM
According to Fox news, the only things left for this trade to take place are, March 2nd to come around of course and Henry to agree to on a long term contract with the Cardinals. That last point may be a problem as I don't think the Cardinals will want to overspend on Henry and he probably wants the world.

mysticsoto
02-22-2005, 01:51 PM
According to Fox news, the only things left for this trade to take place are, March 2nd to come around of course and Henry to agree to on a long term contract with the Cardinals. That last point may be a problem as I don't think the Cardinals will want to overspend on Henry and he probably wants the world.
??? Why do you say that? Henry has never been shown being the type that wants the world. He is one of the cheapest RBs out there and definitely provides a huge bang for the buck in terms of what he brings to the team!!! If it wasn't b'cse WM is a super outstanding athlete worthy of a top 5 draft pick had he not gotten hurt, TH would still be with us as our main RB.

Earthquake Enyart
02-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Just give Henry money up front, and sign him to the minimum. He'll piss it away.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 02:00 PM
??? Why do you say that? Henry has never been shown being the type that wants the world. He is one of the cheapest RBs out there and definitely provides a huge bang for the buck in terms of what he brings to the team!!! If it wasn't b'cse WM is a super outstanding athlete worthy of a top 5 draft pick had he not gotten hurt, TH would still be with us as our main RB.
I guess I just assumed that most players and particularly their agents ask for the world when contract time comes up. Maybe Henry is different.

Tatonka
02-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Just give Henry money up front, and sign him to the minimum. He'll piss it away.

agreed.

Ed
02-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm sure Henry will try and get the most money he possibly can, I just don't think he'll have a lot of leverage to work with. It's not like he's a FA and can pick and choose the best offers. If he doesn't accept the Cards contract offer then Donahoe doesn't have to trade him and he stays in Buffalo whether he wants to or not. Then next year when he's actually a UFA, he's going to be a year older and another year removed from being a starter. He's hardly going to be able to command top dollar.

The Cards are a warm weather team who are offering him a job as a starter, which is exactly what he wants. The Cards should offer him a fair deal that's worth significantly more then what he's made, but he can't be unreasonable if he really wants out of Buffalo that bad.

Donahoe's clearly stated to Henry and his agent that they're not just going to give him away or let him walk, so if Henry ends up rejecting the deal over a contract extension, he'll have no one to blame but himself if he's stuck making beans as a back-up in Buffalo next season.

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
I guess I just assumed that most players and particularly their agents ask for the world when contract time comes up. Maybe Henry is different.

well..we know his agent just asks for bowling ball shots :idunno:

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 05:54 PM
The Cards are a warm weather team who are offering him a job as a starter, which is exactly what he wants. The Cards should offer him a fair deal that's worth significantly more then what he's made, but he can't be unreasonable if he really wants out of Buffalo that bad. Not to mention our new stadium will be complete in about a year. They just installed the frame for the retractable roof this weekend.

http://www.azcardinals.com/images/images/stadroofthree.jpg

Here is what it will look like when its done.
http://test.azcardinals.com/images/images/nightstadnew05.jpg

The field will role out of the stadium on trays so it can get full sun!
http://www.azcardinals.com/images/images/view4_dayaerial.jpg

Tatonka
02-22-2005, 06:05 PM
sweet stadium.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 06:16 PM
sweet stadium.Current Stadium: Sun Devil Stadium

Only NFL team to play in a college stadium
Open roof
August and September games can reach 115 deg
Aluminum bench seating in 95% of the stadium
poor concessions
lack of restrooms
New Stadium:

Retractable field
Retractable dome
AIR CONDITIONING
Individual seats
Beer Cup Holder for each seat
Many Restroom facilities
Updated concession stands
Going to a Cardinal game currently is a drag. You sit on a burning hot metal bench. They try and squeeze in as many people on to that bench as possible. The Cardinals never get night games because nobody wants to watch them nationally so they usually start during the heat of the day.

Then to top it off there aren't enough restrooms and the concession stands are about the quality you would find at a high school football game. Only they charge you NFL prices.

Needless to say, people out here can't wait for the new stadium. It took us 15 years to finally build the Cards their own stadium but I think the end product will be awesome.