• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

FA Tackles are being signed or franchised

Colts resigned Diem, Pace is franchised and Jones signed a big time deal in Seattle.

Do the Bills dare and try to get something for JJ instead of letting him just leave. Even if we only got a 2nd rd or 3rd rd pick it might be worth the gamble ??

It puts an immediate burden on the cap but it could be worth the gamble.

• Charlieguide
    Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
    • Feb 2004

It's certainly better than cutting him outright. The question in my mind is, can they afford to let him go?
    The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

I don't think we have the franchise tag available.

Comment

• Charlieguide
        Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
        why not?
        The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• Marvelous
          • Feb 2004

And what happens if nobody bites? There goes our offseason?
          Is it possible to get stuck with JJ if nobody is interested???
          GO BILLS!!! NE
          Magical Trevor

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Originally posted by Charlieguide
            why not?
            Just quoting what Clump said a while back. I could be wrong. We may have the tag available.

Comment

• BidsJr
              • Sep 2002

I think that is the transition tag. I think we have the Franchise tag always. Look at the Seahawks and the Rams. They have been Fchising LT's for years.

GO Hawkeyes!

"Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• ddaryl
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Sippio
                And what happens if nobody bites? There goes our offseason?
                Is it possible to get stuck with JJ if nobody is interested???
                We could remive the tag and release him, but if we are not asking for much then it could be a safe gamble IMO

The only negative is a deal would have to be agreed upon by JJ and the team that wants him. Which could take time, and JJ is said to want big money.

If we place the transition tag on JJ instead of the franchise tag we would lower the cap hit some, i believe it the average of the top 10 not top 5 T's on the market (or did we inherit Cincy't trans tag on Takeo when we signed him ?)

If the Bills did trade for Shelton, and we tag JJ we would have a rock solid line if by chance we get stuck with him. Shelton could play LG.

I wonder if TD and CO are thinking about it ?

Comment

• BidsJr
                  • Sep 2002

[QUOTE=ddaryl]
                  If we place the transition tag on JJ instead of the franchise tag we would lower the cap hit some, i believe it the average of the top 10 not top 5 T's on the market (or did we inherit Cincy't trans tag on Takeo when we signed him ?) QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure we do not have a transition tag.

"Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• jamze132
                    • Jun 2003

It wouldn't make much sense to tag Jonas. He is by no means a top 5 tackle in the NFL. Only way I see us tagging him is if McNally really thinks this guy could turn into a perenial probowler.

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

If a player is tagged and then traded, does the new team have to pay the player the worth of the tag? Or does the tag become null in void once a tagged player is traded?

Comment

• ddaryl
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                        If a player is tagged and then traded, does the new team have to pay the player the worth of the tag? Or does the tag become null in void once a tagged player is traded?
                        The player and the team will work out a long term deal for whatever they agree upon. If the Bills trade JJ or remove the tag (there is a deadline and I don't know what it is) then the Bills do not have to eat the tag. If JJ stays and doesn't sing a long term deal we regain our tag the next season

Keep in mind JJ wants a big sign bonus and LT money

Comment

• Marvelous
                          • Feb 2004

Teams fans that i've talked to think very highly of Jennings. Most aren't aware of his injury issues. We know because well duh we watch. It's possible that GM's
                          overrate JJ. I think even more so since he is looking like the hottest LT available.
                          I say we get a 1st for him, since we paid a 2nd to draft him and he has only improved. If we can remove the tag in case negotiations fail then i'm all for it. IMO teams will be very interested...................
                          GO BILLS!!! NE
                          Magical Trevor

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

We have no one under the Franchise tag right now- if we chose to - we could use it.

Here's the rub- you have to give him the top 5 average salary of OT's- which is what- $8 million? plus, you need to be at a minimum $8 million under the cap. We don't have that kind of space under the cap to do that and still re-sign Pat Williams, plus our draft picks, let alone any free agents.

Besides- the Bills have until march 1 to excersize the tag. Jennings isn't worth $8 million- I'd grab the Card's Shelton for $3 million and use the remaining $5 million on Williams and other stuff

Comment

• That Guy
                              • Apr 2004

I believe the franchise tag actually groups all offensive lineman together to create the average... so the top 5 lineman average might be even higher than that (though probably not, since tackles are normally the highest-paid of linemen).

Comment

Working...
                              X