PDA

View Full Version : FA Tackles are being signed or franchised

ddaryl
02-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Colts resigned Diem, Pace is franchised and Jones signed a big time deal in Seattle.

Do the Bills dare and try to get something for JJ instead of letting him just leave. Even if we only got a 2nd rd or 3rd rd pick it might be worth the gamble ??

It puts an immediate burden on the cap but it could be worth the gamble.

Charlieguide
02-21-2005, 08:18 PM
It's certainly better than cutting him outright. The question in my mind is, can they afford to let him go?

ArcticWildMan
02-21-2005, 08:19 PM
I don't think we have the franchise tag available.

Marvelous
02-21-2005, 08:20 PM
And what happens if nobody bites? There goes our offseason?
Is it possible to get stuck with JJ if nobody is interested???

Charlieguide
02-21-2005, 08:20 PM

why not?

ArcticWildMan
02-21-2005, 08:22 PM
why not?

Just quoting what Clump said a while back. I could be wrong. We may have the tag available.

BidsJr
02-21-2005, 08:39 PM

I think that is the transition tag. I think we have the Franchise tag always. Look at the Seahawks and the Rams. They have been Fchising LT's for years.

GO Hawkeyes!

:mex:

ddaryl
02-21-2005, 08:41 PM
And what happens if nobody bites? There goes our offseason?
Is it possible to get stuck with JJ if nobody is interested???
We could remive the tag and release him, but if we are not asking for much then it could be a safe gamble IMO

The only negative is a deal would have to be agreed upon by JJ and the team that wants him. Which could take time, and JJ is said to want big money.

If we place the transition tag on JJ instead of the franchise tag we would lower the cap hit some, i believe it the average of the top 10 not top 5 T's on the market (or did we inherit Cincy't trans tag on Takeo when we signed him ?)

If the Bills did trade for Shelton, and we tag JJ we would have a rock solid line if by chance we get stuck with him. Shelton could play LG.

I wonder if TD and CO are thinking about it ?

BidsJr
02-21-2005, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=ddaryl]
If we place the transition tag on JJ instead of the franchise tag we would lower the cap hit some, i believe it the average of the top 10 not top 5 T's on the market (or did we inherit Cincy't trans tag on Takeo when we signed him ?) QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure we do not have a transition tag.

:mex:

jamze132
02-21-2005, 09:41 PM
It wouldn't make much sense to tag Jonas. He is by no means a top 5 tackle in the NFL. Only way I see us tagging him is if McNally really thinks this guy could turn into a perenial probowler.

jamze132
02-21-2005, 09:43 PM
If a player is tagged and then traded, does the new team have to pay the player the worth of the tag? Or does the tag become null in void once a tagged player is traded?

ddaryl
02-21-2005, 09:54 PM
If a player is tagged and then traded, does the new team have to pay the player the worth of the tag? Or does the tag become null in void once a tagged player is traded?
The player and the team will work out a long term deal for whatever they agree upon. If the Bills trade JJ or remove the tag (there is a deadline and I don't know what it is) then the Bills do not have to eat the tag. If JJ stays and doesn't sing a long term deal we regain our tag the next season

Keep in mind JJ wants a big sign bonus and LT money

Marvelous
02-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Teams fans that i've talked to think very highly of Jennings. Most aren't aware of his injury issues. We know because well duh we watch. It's possible that GM's
overrate JJ. I think even more so since he is looking like the hottest LT available.
I say we get a 1st for him, since we paid a 2nd to draft him and he has only improved. If we can remove the tag in case negotiations fail then i'm all for it. IMO teams will be very interested...................

Dozerdog
02-21-2005, 10:01 PM
We have no one under the Franchise tag right now- if we chose to - we could use it.

Here's the rub- you have to give him the top 5 average salary of OT's- which is what- $8 million? plus, you need to be at a minimum $8 million under the cap. We don't have that kind of space under the cap to do that and still re-sign Pat Williams, plus our draft picks, let alone any free agents.

Besides- the Bills have until march 1 to excersize the tag. Jennings isn't worth $8 million- I'd grab the Card's Shelton for $3 million and use the remaining $5 million on Williams and other stuff

That Guy
02-21-2005, 10:03 PM
I believe the franchise tag actually groups all offensive lineman together to create the average... so the top 5 lineman average might be even higher than that (though probably not, since tackles are normally the highest-paid of linemen).

Dozerdog
02-21-2005, 10:03 PM

Atlanta didn't with Price. They renegotiated the deal.

The only thing is- you better have a deal in place. if it falls through, you look stupid paying Jennings $8 million, blowing the budget up.

ArcticWildMan
02-21-2005, 10:04 PM
We have no one under the Franchise tag right now- if we chose to - we could use it.

Here's the rub- you have to give him the top 5 average salary of OT's- which is what- $8 million? plus, you need to be at a minimum $8 million under the cap. We don't have that kind of space under the cap to do that and still re-sign Pat Williams, plus our draft picks, let alone any free agents.

Besides- the Bills have until march 1 to excersize the tag. Jennings isn't worth $8 million- I'd grab the Card's Shelton for $3 million and use the remaining $5 million on Williams and other stuff

8 mil???!!! Screw that. Jennings isn't worth half that.

clumping platelets
02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Bills can use the franchise tag. Jennings franchise number would be $7.424 million :eek:

I wouldn't tag and trade unless I had a trade partner lined up

Dozerdog
02-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Ya beat me to my own correction , clump!

So what will it cost each team to designate a player with the Franchise Tag? The NFLPA has released the following numbers by position:

Cornerback $8.816 million
Quarterback $8.078 million
Wide Receiver $7.768 million
Offensive Line $7.424 million
Defensive End $6.666 million
Running Back $6.323 million
Linebacker $5.95 million
Defensive Tackle $5.134 million
Safety $4.968 million
Tight End $2.687 million
Kicker/Punter $1.787 million

Note that these numbers correspond with the immediate cap hit associated with designating a player with the Franchise Tag.
http://www.askthecommish.com/articles/page.asp?pid=5

cordog
02-21-2005, 10:21 PM
I say we get a 1st for him, since we paid a 2nd to draft him and he has only improved. If we can remove the tag in case negotiations fail then i'm all for it. IMO teams will be very interested...................

Jonas was a 3rd round pick I believe.

Dozerdog
02-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Interesting thst they lump all OL together (Centers are by far the cheapest, Left Tackles by far the most expensive) yet they break out Defensive Ends and Defensive tackles.

If the Bills Franchise anyone, it would be Big Pat Williams at just over $5 million.

clumping platelets
02-21-2005, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't franchise Big Pat

Dozerdog
02-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Not saying they would, but it would be more likely than franchising Jennings.

clumping platelets
02-21-2005, 10:42 PM
If Pat Williams were a few yrs younger, it would be a no brainer. If the Bills had use of a transition tag, I would certainly consider using it on him

Ickybaluky
02-22-2005, 03:43 AM
If he is franchised, it would have to be done by today (the 22nd) at 4 p.m., as it is the deadline for applying the franchise or transition tag on players.

The downside to applying the tag on Jennings is it would tie up about $7.5M in cap room, which would be valuable in other areas.

The upside is the possibility of getting some value in return for the player, like what happened with Peerless Price.

It is true the tag can be rescinded, but only if it is not signed. Once the player signs the contract it becomes a 1-Yr guaranteed deal. If the player could not be traded, then the team could not get out from the $7.5M obligation and would likely keep him at that number. If the player were released, the team would still take a cap hit of $7.5M. In recent years, some agents have been telling their clients to sign the franchise tender right away, so they don't get stuck by having the team rescind the tag later on when the market isn't as active.

Jan Reimers
02-22-2005, 08:32 AM
JJ is an injury-prone, middle-of-the-road LT who would rather be somewhere else, i.e., Atlanta. He is certainly not worth $7.4 Mil, which is just about our entire amount of cap room. If we tag him, we better be damn sure we can move him.

Michael82
02-22-2005, 11:24 AM

The deadline to put the tag on is today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6000900