PDA

View Full Version : Tip Sheet: Bills expect playoffs in year one w/JP

Jeff1220
02-21-2005, 08:40 PM
I don't think this is a repost:

• Buffalo officials don't buy into the notion that by elevating second-year veteran J.P. Losman to the starting quarterback job, the team will take one step backward in 2005 to make perhaps a quantum leap forward in '06. The Bills legitimately believe that, with a strong running game led by Willis McGahee and an outstanding defense featuring Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes, they definitely can contend for a playoff spot even with an unproven quarterback.
more... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1994355)

There's also some stuff about Bledsoe to Dallas in there

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 02:53 AM
I like their confidence but I honestly have to wonder if any of it is a smokescreen to help with ticket sales.

Jan Reimers
02-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Teams have made the playoffs - most recently Pittsburgh - with rookie or highly inexperienced QBs. We have the supporting cast - defense, special teams, running attack, and receivers - to make the post-season as well. If we improve the O line a little, I think we have a chance.

The Bills hierarchy knows they can't afford another "rebuilding" season.

Pride
02-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I agree... I think JP can make us a wild card team. All he has to do is be Trent Dilfer... dont lose the games! Keep the chains moving, and use up the clock... everything else wil fall into place.

Meathead
02-22-2005, 09:59 AM
I like their confidence but I honestly have to wonder if any of it is a smokescreen to help with ticket sales.
I don't wonder about that a bit.

As disappointed as I am that we'll have a "rookie" at the most important spot on the team when the rest of the squad is SB caliber I don't think they had much of a choice. Even with his maddening mediocrity and failure in big games, Bledsoe would give them a better chance at a deep playoff run than Losman. All things considered they had to make the move to Losman, though. But acknowledging any type of regression would throw cold water on irrationally exuberant fans just dying to buy JP jerseys so they can wear them to the game. You are wise not to drink the koolaid.

Meathead
02-22-2005, 10:06 AM
btw - I'm not saying we can't make the playoffs with JP, in fact I expect they will. But I'd say there's about a 1% chance JP could take them to the SP in '05 when Bledsoe would be around 10%.

JP might be able to "just be Dilfer" in the regular season but by the time the playoffs roll around the DC's will have more than enough film to craft a scheme to force him into critical mistakes. Dilfer made caretaking look easy in his SB run but it took him years to get the experience necessary to do that. One mistake is usually the difference between a win and a loss in the playoffs. Just ask McNabb - why the hell did he let that pass go anyway?