PDA

View Full Version : Could we have gotten more for Henry?

ryjam282
02-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Looks like Alexander will be tagged as Hasselbeck agreed to a deal.

By José Miguel Romero

Sources say that the Seahawks have reached an agreement with QB Matt Hasselbeck (left) and will add the franchise tag to RB Shaun Alexander (right).

The Seahawks reached an agreement last night with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck on a long-term deal, according to sources close to contract negotiations.

Details of the deal were not immediately known, and Hasselbeck has to sign the contract to make it official. Assuming he does so by 1 p.m. today, the Seahawks will turn their attention to running back Shaun Alexander and designate him as their franchise player.

The team was to hold a news conference today to announce Hasselbeck's signing......
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2002186461_hawk22.html

Also, per NFL.com Edge will be as well...

Edgerrin James, RB IND

News: According to reports, the Indianapolis Colts are expected to place their franchise tag on Edgerrin James this week.

Analysis: James has stated his desire to play for the Miami Dolphins next season, so a holdout is possible

Now my question is this, could we have gotten the 2nd rounder now since the 2 big RB's are off the market? Or are we all happy with Shelton?

Farley
02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Had Henry started and played all season long then he would be worth a first rounder right now, but losing his starting job to a guy that was supposed to be a "bust" doesnt fly too well with GM's.

Italian Stallion
02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Why would we want a draft pick at all if we can get a proven starter in Shelton? Everyone knows the draft isn't a sure thing...I like how were making out in this deal

EDS
02-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Rudy Johnson is still on the market, and the draft is still deep in good runners. I don't think anyone expected James or Alexander to hit the open market.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-22-2005, 10:58 AM
I guess it is possible that we could have got a second rounder for Henry....but is that really more value than an established, relatively young, solid tackle? If you draft a guy in the second round this year,do you think he will be as productive as LJ in the first couple of years?

In the current situation, we likely have about 2 or MAYBE 3 years left in our window of opportunity to make a run before we have to rebuild on defense. I'll take the guy that can get it done now.

Big M
02-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Rudy Johnson is still on the market, and the draft is still deep in good runners. I don't think anyone expected James or Alexander to hit the open market.

Rudy Johnson was already franchised by the Bengals, I believe.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Why would we want a draft pick at all if we can get a proven starter in Shelton?
I guess you can prove that Shelton started for the Cardinals. Whether he was effective or not as a starter might be a little harder to prove.

Tatonka
02-22-2005, 11:40 AM
i take the deal we got.. if the bills want shelton, i trust mcnally.. had we not gotten shelton, and got a 1st for henry anyway.. we would be looking at a rookie LT most likely.

i like the trade.

mightyspaz
02-22-2005, 11:42 AM
It would have been nice to see Shaun Alexander franchised and traded. Then maybe we could have made a deal of Henry for Steve Hutchinson. He's a Pro Bowl G, and it is not necessarily even a realistic deal. I mentioin this because he's a friend of mine. I went to high school with him and his wife. If he was in Buffalo, there would be no doubt I'd get a nice seat every once in a while: ;)

kevinj22
02-22-2005, 11:42 AM
To get a proven LT in Shelton is a move you absolutely have to make. I like what I'm seeing out of Mularkey and his staff and I trust Mcnally will hone Sheltons skills.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 11:52 AM
i take the deal we got.. if the bills want shelton, i trust mcnally.. had we not gotten shelton, and got a 1st for henry anyway.. we would be looking at a rookie LT most likely.

i like the trade.This draft class is very week with regards to the Offensive Line and especially the LT position. I would definitely take Shelton over a rookie lineman in this draft!

My take on Shelton:

Positives:

Very athletic for a man his size. Has good footwork and that helps with his pass protection. Has a large wing span and can get his hands on the defender. Is very experienced as he has started most of his career. He is entering the prime of his career.

Negatives:

Isn't much of a run blocker. Even with his good footwork he will get beat occasionally. Outside of football he truly is a nice guy and is great to fans, however he lacks a mean streak that you like to see in football. Has had a problem with injuries the last couple of years. Never has lived up to expectations. Was supposed to be part of the "Big Red Line" which actually turned out to be the "Big Red Lie".

NC-BILLS44
02-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I like it!!! We give Henry his wish to play somewhere else and receive a proven RT & LT. If you look at it from a draft stand point, we got a 1st rounder for a 2nd rounder.

Both teams win by getting rid of players that want to move and each team gets a player with a chip on their shoulders and something to prove.

Crisis
02-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I think we can get more out of Arizona than Shelton now. Maybe Shelton and a day-2 pick.

venis2k1
02-22-2005, 12:04 PM
even though this draft is OT light, there are tons of good backs. im pumped for shelton...i would like for td to go out and get a guy with a mean streak on the o-line. too many nice guys.

ryjam282
02-22-2005, 12:12 PM
If you look at it from a draft stand point, we got a 1st rounder for a 2nd rounder.

Heck, while we are at it, lets try and trade Ryan Leaf for Tom Brady...That would be a 1st rounder for a 6th...I love the idea. :snicker:

NC-BILLS44
02-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Heck, while we are at it, lets try and trade Ryan Leaf for Tom Brady...That would be a 1st rounder for a 6th...I love the idea. :snicker:

Very funny!!! If you want to trade Brady, feel free.

DBAD

Romes
02-22-2005, 01:14 PM
I think we can get more out of Arizona than Shelton now. Maybe Shelton and a day-2 pick.

We really don't know the parameters of the deal yet. There could easily be draft picks included by either team.

Shelton and a day 2 pick would be great and I wouldn't be shocked if that happened. I think, while a good deal for both teams, Arizona would be getting the better player.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 01:17 PM
I highly doubt that. There are at least 5 teams interested in Shelton right now. If anything the Cardinals should try and get something extra from Buffalo.

I think Buffalo needs a proven Tackle more than the Cardinals need a proven RB. Especially with the depth at the RB position in the draft.

Ed
02-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I highly doubt that. There are at least 5 teams interested in Shelton right now. If anything the Cardinals should try and get something extra from Buffalo.

I think Buffalo needs a proven Tackle more than the Cardinals need a proven RB. Especially with the depth at the RB position in the draft.

Yeah, but do those five teams have a player or pick as valuable as Travis Henry that they're willing to part with?

You could also say that there are other teams interested in Henry and that we've still got the best chance of signing Jennings to play OT, it's just a question of wanting to pay that kind of money.

I think the trade would work out well for both teams, and I'm expecting player for player with no picks.

Romes
02-22-2005, 01:35 PM

I disagree.

First, there are several teams that have expressed interest in Henry, its not just Shelton that teams are interested in. While it is true that the draft is rich with RB, proven NFL free agents are all being tagged up (ie. Alexander, Johnson, James). Henry's trade value is growing every day as RB's continue to be signed/tagged. Besides Walter Jones, the LT's on the market are still available. If we couldn't get Shelton we'd probably just re-sign Jennings and take the cap hit. The advantage to Shelton is we'd get a servicable LT and keep cap room to manuever some more.

Not only that but Henry prior to this year was a 1400 yard back. When was the last time AZ had one of those?

All I'm saying is I think its very possible we'd get Shelton and a 6th rounder for Henry. It probably won't happen but its not like adding a 6th rounder would suddenly tip the balance in the fairness of the deal.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but do those five teams have a player or pick as valuable as Travis Henry that they're willing to part with?

You could also say that there are other teams interested in Henry and that we've still got the best chance of signing Jennings to play OT, it's just a question of wanting to pay that kind of money.

I think the trade would work out well for both teams, and I'm expecting player for player with no picks.
I agree that it will be a player for player trade if it does go through.

The following teams are reportedly very serious about LJ. They include: Chicago; St. Louis; TB; Buffalo; Miami and Denver.

I've read that Miami might offer Surtain and another player or draft pick.

I've read that Denver may offer Pryce and some draft picks.

I've read that Tampa Bay may offer their 2nd rounder which is a very early pick in the second round.

All rumors of course.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 01:42 PM
I disagree.

First, there are several teams that have expressed interest in Henry, its not just Shelton that teams are interested in. While it is true that the draft is rich with RB, proven NFL free agents are all being tagged up (ie. Alexander, Johnson, James). Henry's trade value is growing every day as RB's continue to be signed/tagged. Besides Walter Jones, the LT's on the market are still available. If we couldn't get Shelton we'd probably just re-sign Jennings and take the cap hit. The advantage to Shelton is we'd get a servicable LT and keep cap room to manuever some more.
IMO there are no quality LT's on the market other than Jennings. All of the good ones have signed or have been franchised. Jenning is going to command top dollar because of it.

Not only that but Henry prior to this year was a 1400 yard back. When was the last time AZ had one of those?
1984. :wail: That's why I'd love to have Henry on this team.

All I'm saying is I think its very possible we'd get Shelton and a 6th rounder for Henry. It probably won't happen but its not like adding a 6th rounder would suddenly tip the balance in the fairness of the deal.
That is highly unlikely. The Cardinals don't have a 6th round pick this year. They traded it during the preseason to Oakland for Hambrick and Zellner.

Michael82
02-22-2005, 01:49 PM
I'd like to see Donahoe trade Travis Henry to Arizona for LJ Shelton and a conditional pick in the 2006 NFL draft (based on what he does next season).

Romes
02-22-2005, 02:11 PM
The Cardinals don't have a 6th round pick this year. They traded it during the preseason to Oakland for Hambrick and Zellner.

I did not know that. Nevermind then. In that case it'll probably just be a player for player deal. :D

Thanks for the info by the way and a Cardinals fan's perspective on Shelton. :up: Its very helpful in knowing the type of player we are getting seeing as OL don't get as much attention paid to them. its tough to really know who is good on teams you don't pay very close attention to.

Jan Reimers
02-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Let's see. Travis was a former 2nd Rounder who was hurt most of last season and lost his starting job. Shelton was a former 1st Rounder who hurt an ankle, came to camp overweight, got in Green's doghouse, and lost his starting job.

What part of this makes Henry more valuable than Shelton?

I think that an even up swap is pretty good for the Bills. If TD can get something else thrown in, God bless him.

Romes
02-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Let's see. Travis was a former 2nd Rounder who was hurt most of last season and lost his starting job. Shelton was a former 1st Rounder who hurt an ankle, came to camp overweight, got in Green's doghouse, and lost his starting job.

What part of this makes Henry more valuable than Shelton?

I think that an even up swap is pretty good for the Bills. If TD can get something else thrown in, God bless him.

The fact that Henry made the Pro Bowl in 2002. Prior to 2004 was a 1400 yard RB that could move the pile and catch the ball out of the back field.

Last year, he got hurt in the beginning of the year for a few weeks, when McGahee unseated him. I wouldn't say Henry was hurt for most of the year nor would I its a huge knock against Henry to get unseated by a back like McGahee.

From what I have heard about Shelton is that he is not a top LT nor is he as good as Jennings. We would be downgrading at LT while the Cards are improving at RB.

That said Shelton's value compared to his cap figure is greater, imo, than that of Jennings. I'd take Shelton and the ability to sign other people than Jennings and be tight on the cap.

MadCardDisease
02-22-2005, 02:33 PM
From what I have heard about Shelton is that he is not a top as good as Jennings. We would be downgrading at LT while the Cards are improving at RB.

That said Shelton's value compared to his cap figure is greater, imo, than that of Jennings. I'd take Shelton and the ability to sign other people than Jennings and be tight on the cap.
I think that Shelton has the potential to become a very good Tackle. Especially protecting the QB. It's not like he is a big fat dude, the guy is an athlete. He still is young and he is entering the prime of his career. If he can stay healthy who knows how good he might become giving the change of scenery.

It sounds like your OL coach is one of the best. Maybe he can make Shelton live up to his potential. It's not like the previous OL coaches in AZ were any good. Maybe that was part of the problem. However clearly Dennis Green didn't think that Shelton had what it takes to be his LT.

don137
02-22-2005, 02:38 PM
You can't have the highest priced talent at every position if you want to build a championship team. Unfortunately teams have to make concessions in certain areas and having a LT that is average but only at a 3 million yearly salary...

Novacane
02-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Henry for Shelton is a fair trade for both teams. We should be happy we got that much IMO.

Romes
02-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Its official Alexander did get tagged. Here is a link the ESPN list of all the tagged players. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1997296

Crisis
02-22-2005, 03:47 PM

Because you guys have a great draft history :lolpoint: Cards FO. We don't need a proven tackle as much as you think. Teague can be moved to the outside, or Williams can change sides. Price could come in and do well. I'd still rather have Shelton, though.

Jersey1031
02-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see Donahoe trade Travis Henry to Arizona for LJ Shelton and a conditional pick in the 2006 NFL draft (based on what he does next season).

I agree completely with this. Make it like the Saints to Phins Ricky Williams deal a bit based on his performance...

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Henry for Shelton is a fair trade for both teams. We should be happy we got that much IMO.

I agree. Had Henry had a year in 2004 like he did the previous few years, we could've demanded, and gotten, more. As it is, I think we still made out pretty well

BillsFever21
02-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Henry is just an average RB who the Cardinals would have to re-sign just to keep him there after 2005.

Shelton's value is just as high if not better then Henry. It's harder to find a productive LT then it is to find a productive RB.

Add that to the fact Shelton will only cost 3 million against the cap and I'd glady take him over a lousy 2nd round pick in an average draft class.

I think we got the better end of the deal.

This is just a case of Bills fans overrating another player then what he's really worth.