PDA

View Full Version : So...

Kerr
02-22-2005, 04:12 PM
It's almost certain Shelton and Henry will be trading places. With that said, what would be the best line formation? Does Big Mike get moved inside, stays put, or does he get moved to the left tackle? Does Shelton play left tackle? I'm hearing that the club might switch trey teague to left tackle?

I like the idea of moving teague to left tackle, shelton to right tackle and big Mike inside to guard. Perhaps sign Rich Brahm of Cincy to play center(has had a hand in helping Palmer) or move Ross Tucker to center.

Devin
02-22-2005, 04:13 PM
I think big mike is to big for guard. Teague would get raped at T.

to be honest I think it should stay exactly how it is.

Romes
02-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I trust McNally in what he thinks the best combo would be. I think the less shuffling the better.

I like the line from left to right of Williams, Tucker, Teague, Villarial, Shelton. Option B would be Shelton, Tucker, Teague, Villarial, Williams.

Ed
02-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Just leave Shelton at LT. From what I've heard he's a much better pass blocker then run blocker. The less shuffling the better. Our O-line made significant improvements as the year went on, there's no need for drastic changes.

I'd be ok with a line of Shelton, Tucker, Teague, Villarial and Williams. If we can upgrade LG that would be great, but I'd be ok with Tucker. I'd like to see us re-sign Price too as a back-up for both OT spots.

EDS
02-22-2005, 04:32 PM
I want Price back as a back-up as well.

Kerr
02-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Does anyone not think we could do better at center than teague?

Tatonka
02-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Just leave Shelton at LT. From what I've heard he's a much better pass blocker then run blocker. The less shuffling the better. Our O-line made significant improvements as the year went on, there's no need for drastic changes.

I'd be ok with a line of Shelton, Tucker, Teague, Villarial and Williams. If we can upgrade LG that would be great, but I'd be ok with Tucker. I'd like to see us re-sign Price too as a back-up for both OT spots.
absolutely perfectly said..

that is exactly what will happen..

there may be an upgrade at guard.. but more than likely.. that will be the line.. which i am ok with totally. i also really would like to see price brought back for a few more years.

if a stud falls in the draft at center or guard, td will probably grab him.

but bottom line is this..

mike williams strong suit is run blocking.. which is what right tackles do

Sheltons strong suit is pass blocking.. which is what LTs do..

both are too big to be moved anywhere else other than tackle.. so that is where they will stay.

teague, as much as i hate to admit it, is much like chris bobber from the giants.. not much of anything, that mcnally has turned into a player. mcnally really likes him, as i remember reading a quote last year from him stating that he was the most athletic of all the lineman and he loved his attitude.. he will stay at center.

villarial has always been a RG.. he will stay a RG.

tucker did well enough at center to warrant staying on the line.. and finished the season well.. very well.. he might just get better.. people forget that we signed him to a new deal last year... 3-4 years.. so if we get shelton.. we have the chance, bar injury, to have a good line together for at least another couple years, if not 3-4 more years.. can you imagine? in the days of FA, a line that sticks like the old bills line led by hull?

Tatonka
02-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Does anyone not think we could do better at center than teague?
absolutely.. but mcnally likes him and we have bigger needs.

jamze132
02-22-2005, 04:56 PM
I think Donahoe will design a very good line through FA and use middle to late round draft picks on depth and the future. Our line will be be the best we have had in 4 years.

Tatonka
02-22-2005, 04:59 PM
it should be just by having a consistent line coach that preaches the same thing 2 years in a row.. the guys never had that... part of the reason for big mikes slow development and teagues too. and hell.. think of what jj could have been with 4 years under mcnally.

Kerr
02-22-2005, 05:01 PM
absolutely perfectly said..

that is exactly what will happen..

there may be an upgrade at guard.. but more than likely.. that will be the line.. which i am ok with totally. i also really would like to see price brought back for a few more years.

if a stud falls in the draft at center or guard, td will probably grab him.

but bottom line is this..

mike williams strong suit is run blocking.. which is what right tackles do

Sheltons strong suit is pass blocking.. which is what LTs do..

both are too big to be moved anywhere else other than tackle.. so that is where they will stay.

teague, as much as i hate to admit it, is much like chris bobber from the giants.. not much of anything, that mcnally has turned into a player. mcnally really likes him, as i remember reading a quote last year from him stating that he was the most athletic of all the lineman and he loved his attitude.. he will stay at center.

villarial has always been a RG.. he will stay a RG.

tucker did well enough at center to warrant staying on the line.. and finished the season well.. very well.. he might just get better.. people forget that we signed him to a new deal last year... 3-4 years.. so if we get shelton.. we have the chance, bar injury, to have a good line together for at least another couple years, if not 3-4 more years.. can you imagine? in the days of FA, a line that sticks like the old bills line led by hull?

Makes sense. I can live with it, except for teague at center. I don't like it.
If Shelton's best quality is pass protection, then he should play left tackle. Yes, big mike was drafted for the run game. He's better off not playing left tackle.

Tatonka
02-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Makes sense. I can live with it, except for teague at center. I don't like it.
If Shelton's best quality is pass protection, then he should play left tackle. Yes, big mike was drafted for the run game. He's better off not playing left tackle.
i think you, like almost all of us.. got to the point where we all disliked teague so much that we are being blinded by that sour taste he left in our mouth.. i mean seriously.. how many games in a row did he send the ball over bledsoes head in a shotgun snap.. how many times did we see him get bull rushed by a defender and he, the D tackle, and bledsoe all go down in a heap.

i understand that you dislike teague at center.. because of those things..

but you really need to take a look at his play in the second half of last year.. he played hard.. he played well.. he showed that with some coaching, that he is a good player. he did nothing in the second half of last season to deserve to be replaced.. basically.. he is a good average center.. he is not dominant by any means.. but he is not a top need any longer.. and if he goes down, we also know that ross tucker can play center as well.

i think we will be ok there no matter what.

now that doesnt mean that if a top center falls to round 3 and td sees him sitting there, he wont grab him.. that is how td works.. but it is not truely a need.

Crisis
02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I trust McNally in what he thinks the best combo would be. I think the less shuffling the better.

I like the line from left to right of Williams, Tucker, Teague, Villarial, Shelton. Option B would be Shelton, Tucker, Teague, Villarial, Williams.

Right outta my mouth.

I like what Tucker has shown lately, but him and teague appear to be the weakest links on the line.

ArcticWildMan
02-22-2005, 05:12 PM
i think you, like almost all of us.. got to the point where we all disliked teague so much that we are being blinded by that sour taste he left in our mouth.. i mean seriously.. how many games in a row did he send the ball over bledsoes head in a shotgun snap.. how many times did we see him get bull rushed by a defender and he, the D tackle, and bledsoe all go down in a heap.

i understand that you dislike teague at center.. because of those things..

but you really need to take a look at his play in the second half of last year.. he played hard.. he played well.. he showed that with some coaching, that he is a good player. he did nothing in the second half of last season to deserve to be replaced.. basically.. he is a good average center.. he is not dominant by any means.. but he is not a top need any longer.. and if he goes down, we also know that ross tucker can play center as well.

i think we will be ok there no matter what.

now that doesnt mean that if a top center falls to round 3 and td sees him sitting there, he wont grab him.. that is how td works.. but it is not truely a need.

Very well said!!! :clap:

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Shelton-Tucker-Teague-Villarial-Williams is how I see it. Like Tatonka said, Williams is a better fit at RT...moving him and making the line weaker just because he makes the most on the line is :limp:

YardRat
02-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Shelton-Tucker-Teague-Villarial-Williams is how I see it.
I agree....although I'd really like to see someone more capable of handling a bull-rush replace Teague as the anchor of the line.

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I agree....although I'd really like to see someone more capable of handling a bull-rush replace Teague as the anchor of the line.

yeah..maybe we could pick up someone in the 3rd to work into the position...take over in time :scratch:

Mr. Cynical
02-22-2005, 07:01 PM
but you really need to take a look at his play in the second half of last year.. he played hard.. he played well.. he showed that with some coaching, that he is a good player. he did nothing in the second half of last season to deserve to be replaced.. basically.. he is a good average center.. he is not dominant by any means.. but he is not a top need any longer.. and if he goes down, we also know that ross tucker can play center as well. We, i.e., old school amigos, need to be fair here and give him the same treatment we did Drew. We played below average teams the second half of the year which is a big reason he played better.

That said, I don't think he sucks anywhere near as badly as Drew at his position, but I do think we should look to replace him if the opportunity is there. He is average at best and the oline is the key to our success this year IMO.

SoCalBillsFan
02-22-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm going to throw a crazy idea out there. I know its highly unlikely.

I just hate to see jennings go, and I think the best way improve our line is to keep him AND add shelton. What if he doesn't find a huge deal on the open market? I knew he played C at one point...what about bringing him back and playing him there?

It's unlikely, but if we could somehow have jennings, shelton, and williams on the line I would see it as a major upgrade. I don't see swapping out jennings and adding shelton as an upgrade.