PDA

View Full Version : We blew a 1st round for that!

Billsouth
02-22-2005, 08:13 PM
the release of blew dedsoe is an admission that we made a mistake in giving up our 2003 1st for 3 years of him. i wonder what was td's worst move:

1. hiring manboobs
2. trading #1 for blew dedsoe
3. changing uniforms; or
4. drafting josh reed and denney in teh 2nd round
5. trading the #2, #5 last year and #1 this year for Losman

please note that i like td and believe that he has made plenty of good moves so lets not turn this into a thread of whether his good moves (tagging peerless; drafting willis; drafting lee evans; mcghee; etc.) outweigh his bad moves.

just interested in public opinion of the worst move.

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 08:18 PM
1...Gregg Williams was the worst move
2...Bledsoe didn't take us to the Promised land, true..part of that he was handcuffed his first 2 years here..majority of it...he just never had the consistency we needed...not a great move but not the worst
3...no comment...:laughter: Personally, I like 'em
4...Reed was projected higher if I'm not mistaken. He, too, was crippled with Williams but he showed this year he just might not have it
Denney...still productive...not great

draft is a crap shoot, to be honest
5...way too early to tell. If JP pans out, it was a great move, if he flops, it was terrible

Mr. Cynical
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
2...Bledsoe didn't take us to the Promised land, true..part of that he was handcuffed his first 2 years here..majority of it...he just never had the consistency we needed...not a great move but not the worstWhether you realize it or not, this is the type of comment that perpetuates your Ostrich status. You couldn't just say "Drew was a major problem" and leave it at that. You had to make excuses by saying he was handcuffed, and then use kid gloves by saying he never had the "consistency" we needed. He was a major disappointment and did more harm to this team than good.

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Well I guess I'm an ostrich then cause apparently that means I am able to notice more than the QB

Novacane
02-22-2005, 08:30 PM

This one does not even belong on your list. Unless you have a crystal ball!

BillsFever21
02-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Whether you realize it or not, this is the type of comment that perpetuates your Ostrich status. You couldn't just say "Drew was a major problem" and leave it at that. You had to make excuses by saying he was handcuffed, and then use kid gloves by saying he never had the "consistency" we needed. He was a major disappointment and did more harm to this team than good.
Does that shock you?

He has no problem saying other players suck without making excuses for them. Only Drew falls into that category.

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
This one does not even belong on your list. Unless you have a crystal ball!

agreed...way too early to even think about that one. It could very well turn out to be a great trade :up: :pray:

Philagape
02-22-2005, 08:32 PM
No matter what other weaknesses the team had, no one can honestly, objectively deny that for a majority of his time here,

DREW. PLAYED. POORLY.

BillsFever21
the release of blew dedsoe is an admission that we made a mistake in giving up our 2003 1st for 3 years of him. i wonder what was td's worst move:

1. hiring manboobs
2. trading #1 for blew dedsoe
3. changing uniforms; or
4. drafting josh reed and denney in teh 2nd round

please note that i like td and believe that he has made plenty of good moves so lets not turn this into a thread of whether his good moves (tagging peerless; drafting willis; drafting lee evans; mcghee; etc.) outweigh his bad moves.

It's better to admit making a mistake and correcting it rather then sticking with the problem and not doing anything about it.

Novacane
Drew and manboobs are tied for worst. They both set the franchise back IMO

Mr. Cynical
02-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Well I guess I'm an ostrich then cause apparently that means I am able to notice more than the QB
Why do you always deflect to the team comment? I have never said Drew was the only problem. Ever. He was the biggest problem. Only and bigger have two very different meanings, so stop putting words in my mouth. If you would only admit that Drew was the biggest problem with our offense, then all the arguing stops.

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 08:35 PM
No matter what other weaknesses the team had, no one can honestly, objectively deny that for a majority of his time here,

DREW. PLAYED. POORLY.

based on expectations, I can't argue with that. I know I expected a lot more than we got :idunno:

The_Philster
02-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Why do you always deflect to the team comment? I have never said Drew was the only problem. Ever. He was the biggest problem. Only and bigger have two very different meanings, so stop putting words in my mouth. If you would only admit that Drew was the biggest problem with our offense, then all the arguing stops.

biggest in what year?
In 2002, it was Gilbride
In 2003, it was kind of a toss up between Gilbride and Drew
In 2004, it was Drew...which I've said all along...yet there are still arguments :scratch:

BillsFever21
02-22-2005, 08:39 PM
biggest in what year?
In 2002, it was Gilbride
In 2003, it was kind of a toss up between Gilbride and Drew
In 2004, it was Drew...which I've said all along...yet there are still arguments :scratch:
:liar:

BillsFever21
02-22-2005, 08:40 PM
It's a lost cause.

Other crappy QB's on other teams he will say they suck even if there is nobody else on the team. The same doesn't apply for the Bills though.

Philagape
02-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Actually, I always thought Gilbride was the biggest problem while he was here. But that doesn't get Drew off the hook; a good QB can make lemonade out of lemons. Drew didn't.

Mr. Cynical
02-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Actually, I always thought Gilbride was the biggest problem while he was here. But that doesn't get Drew off the hook; a good QB can make lemonade out of lemons. Drew didn't.
Another thing to keep in mind - BB cut Drew and kept Brady and the Pats went on to win SBs with essentially the same team Drew had. He knew Drew sucked and got rid of him. Drew had 3 good years (96-98) and slid from then on, with just a few flashes to keep the illusion alive.

Mr. Cynical
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM

DREW. PLAYED. POORLY.
Bingo.

Crisis
02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
There's only arguements about it Phil because they need to blame every single detail about Bledsoe. Even when you admit he is the problem.

Philagape
02-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Another thing to keep in mind - BB cut Drew and kept Brady and the Pats went on to win SBs with essentially the same team Drew had. He knew Drew sucked and got rid of him. Drew had 3 good years (96-98) and slid from then on, with just a few flashes to keep the illusion alive.

You know, right after I wrote the post you quoted, I asked myself, "Which QBs have done well in less than ideal conditions?" The first name in my head was Brady. Three SB titles with no other stars on offense (except Dillon in 04).

Typ0
02-22-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't thing bringing DB in was a bad move at all. At the time it was the right move. Sure, we would have liked more but Drew did help get us through a tough time. Now that he is gone our team has been rebuilt and now we have a chance to move forward.

Mr. Cynical
02-22-2005, 09:17 PM
I don't thing bringing DB in was a bad move at all. At the time it was the right move. Sure, we would have liked more but Drew did help get us through a tough time. Now that he is gone our team has been rebuilt and now we have a chance to move forward.
I was excited when he came here, but I hadn't done the homework on him beforehand. All the data pointed to him being done. Granted nobody is perfect and TD took the chance, but he should have cut him after 03. He should not have been here in 04.

But like you said, he's gone and it's time to get excited about JP on 05. :D

Jersey1031
02-22-2005, 10:21 PM
i love the uniforms

Tatonka
02-23-2005, 12:23 AM
what a negative ass thread.

:mad:

Jan Reimers
02-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20. Drew WAS the logical choice at the time, as was Gregg Williams - who had an awesome resume as a defensive coordinator.

Sometimes, despite your best efforts, things just don't work out.

I guess a lot of Zoners have had a 100% track record in their lives, because they don't seem to understand that.

Historian
02-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Hiring Gregg Williams was by far the stupidest thing Tom Donahoe has ever done.

That one act permeated the entire organization, affecting every other decision after it...much like a computer virus that gets in, and affects every program in your system.

Gregg Williams was a cancerous growth. The best thing they ever did, was a lumpectony on him.

Tatonka
02-23-2005, 07:59 AM
you guys act like gregg williams didnt change our defense and make it formidable since his second year... that #2 D we have right now is gregg williams defense w/ a greg williams coach running it.

greg williams sucked on the field.. but he was not the worst coach ever.. the guys played hard for him always.

it wasnt like greg williams told he team right before a big sunday night showdown with the colts that they had no chance at the playoffs and that it didnt matter if they won or lost.. when in fact they did have a chance to make the playoffs if they won.. ie.. bums son phillips.

manboobs sucked.. but there have been plenty worse coaches.. and through his second year, things looked like they were going in the right direction.

TedMock
02-23-2005, 09:04 AM
you guys act like gregg williams didnt change our defense and make it formidable since his second year... that #2 D we have right now is gregg williams defense w/ a greg williams coach running it.

You beat me to it. Coach Moobs had some serious faults, but he certainly had a major, positive impact on this team. The proof is now in Washington. In my humble opinion, the worst move we made was hiring Gilbride. His 1980's offense just didn't cut it. Bledsoe was a disappointment, but at least there was excitement and interest from good free agents after that. Hindsight is 20/20, and we all know that he wasn't very good in Buffalo. However, at that time, we were talking to free agents that wouldn't have given us the time of day before. Anybody who thinks otherwise......get your head out of the sand! Buffalo was not a sexy free agent market by any stretch. As for Denney, Losman, etc.. we'll see. This year is make or break for Denney. Produce, or...see ya. Losman, well, we may just have to wait a couple of years to really know. Hopefully we'll see sooner than later.

Billsouth
02-23-2005, 10:02 AM
i hope to God that the losman deals turns out to be a great deal.

i really wonder if we should have tagged jennings and then traded him to a team even if we only got a #2 or 3. worst case scenario we keep him and sign him to long term deal. now, even if we add shelton, we still need more lineman because we r going to lose jennings. this means puke is still in the mix

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Whether you realize it or not, this is the type of comment that perpetuates your Ostrich status. You couldn't just say "Drew was a major problem" and leave it at that. You had to make excuses by saying he was handcuffed, and then use kid gloves by saying he never had the "consistency" we needed. He was a major disappointment and did more harm to this team than good.

DAMMIT MAN NO WAY PHIL IS A MEMBER OF THE OC!!!

The King
02-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Steve Young said it best... 90% of being successful at QB is the right system 10% is talent. All NFL QB's are elite.

Voltron
02-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20. Drew WAS the logical choice at the time, as was Gregg Williams - who had an awesome resume as a defensive coordinator.

Sometimes, despite your best efforts, things just don't work out.

I guess a lot of Zoners have had a 100% track record in their lives, because they don't seem to understand that.
:bf1:

Voltron
02-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Q: Who had the best D in the NFL this past season?

A: Washington Redskins, Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Q: Who was it that took a no name and made him into a pro bowl linebacker?

A: Gregg Williams

Now I was happy to see Gregg go too but I don't think he should be thought of as a failure. We would still be running a 3-4 if it weren’t for him and TKO, Sam Adams, Jeff Posey, and about 3 other starters on the defense would not be here.

Some people seem to think that because you are an NFL coach you must be some type of super human :idunno:

:rolleyes: