PDA

View Full Version : Bills Can't Afford The Big UFA's In March

Big M
02-23-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm hoping The Shelton for Henry deal can be completed, thus making the Bills worries considerably less, heading into the next 2 Months. With roughly 8 Mil in Cap space ( now that the bonuses have been updated ) I'll toss out some guesstimations for the off-season. These are what I see as realistic, with the cap space in mind.

1. Redo Mike Williams contract - Free up another 2-3 Million in space
2. Cut Prioleau - Free up another 1.25 ( cover me CP :peace: ).

Now the Bills have 11 Mil of Cap space to work with, conservatively.

3. Guard - Seems to be several starters available, when checking the list of who's out there.( Redzone.org) I won't even guess who TD,McNally have their eye on but you know 1 or 2 have been targeted. That should cost 2-3 Mil against the Cap.
4. Backup QB - If Jay Fiedler gets cut by Miami, I'm betting he gets an immediate call from the Bills. Plenty of starting experience. Average arm but very mobile. Smart ( Dartmouth grad. ). If not him, then someone else with mobility and some starting experience. Mike McMahon or Charlie Batch perhaps ? - Set aside 1-2 Mil a year for this signing.
5. TE - Big concern with both Campbell and Euhus coming off knee surgery. Ken Dilger,Cam Cleeland, Anthony Becht. Fair blockers, solid hands, lots of experience. One of those guys should get a call. 1 Mil against the Cap.
6. Kicker - Strange we haven't heard TD identify this publicly as a need. I'd have to think he'd consider looking at a Vet. The Steelers Jeff Reed is restricted and would require a draft pick. Jay Feely of Atlanta is also good. The rest do nothing for me. It's probably a long shot that TD would consider Nugent on Draft Day. I wouldn't be surprised if TD just lets this play out with Lindell and Pochman, watching for NFL camp cuts in August.
7. #3 WR - Seems there is always a dozen or so older Vets with hundreds of catches looking for work well after the Draft. I don't know how serious the Bills view this, especially if the FB is going to be on the field a lot. Then you will only see Moulds and Evans anyhow. Reed gets one more shot with JP ?
8. Backup RB - Keeping Henry meant keeping a bad attitude player who would never accept the backup role. Plus he wouldn't play ST's. The problem is that very few ,if any ,quality backs are left out there. Rhodes if Indy may be the best but has had some serious injuries in the past. Will we hear a sales job on Joe Burns and Shaud Williams ? This may be a draft day concern.
9. Re-sign backup OT Marcus Price - this is more important than many think. He's 33 but can still fill in very well at either Tackle spot. Give him 1 Mil for 2 years.

Pat Williams ? If he gets a big offer, he's gone. Jennings IS gone with the Shelton deal. Williams will have to see what is offered in week 1. I hope the Bills keep him but don't break the bank for this guy. Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson would have to step up.

Final Thoughts - I realize many would like a Center but I saw vast improvement in Teague last season. With Tucker also having the ability to play both Center and Guard, the Bills may not see this as a crying need. I wouldn't mind another DT,DE but how much $$ is left will determine that, especially if Pat Williams walks.
On Draft day, I bet one of our 2 first day picks is a CB, with the Clements situation in mind after 2005. TD always thinks a year in advance. The other 1st day pick may be the backup RB we need. Slim pickings out there. Joe Burns, a RFA, may be re-signed for insurance.
TD seems most focused on the Offensive side of the ball during this off-season. I could see a Vet signed to replace Pat Williams if he leaves but outside of that, he'll be obsessed with Offensive players, as well he should.

Not too exciting but you work within your cap. Recent draft picks have to step up.

Fire away

EDS
02-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Assuming the Shelton/Henry deal gets done, I think the Bills will spend their free agent dollars on:

- Resigning Pat Williams and Marcus Price
- Signing a veteran back-up QB
- Signing a TE if Campball and Euhus are definitely out
- Possibly sign a back-up running back (along the lines of the Olandis Gary signing a few years ago).

Draft picks will be used to bolster the interior of the offensive line, back-up running back if a veteran is not signed, wide receiver for competition, outside linebacker if they are not happy with Posey, maybe a kicker, maybe TE. Basically, I don't think TD is going to spend all the money the Bills have except for extending deals of current Bills players like Nate Clements.

Michael82
02-23-2005, 08:12 AM
You guys do remember that TD had about the exact same amount of cap money last year, right? Look at what he got us... Yeah, two of them were cut...but still 3 players were pretty big signings for the team. I see TD doing these same kind of signings this year. However, if he gets Mike Williams to renegotiate his contract, then I see a very big name coming here too.

FB Daimon Shelton
OL Chris Villarrial
DB Troy Vincent
DT Oliver Gibson
DE Jason Gildon

Marvelous
02-23-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm hoping The Shelton for Henry deal can be completed, thus making the Bills worries considerably less, heading into the next 2 Months. With roughly 8 Mil in Cap space ( now that the bonuses have been updated ) I'll toss out some guesstimations for the off-season. These are what I see as realistic, with the cap space in mind.

3. Guard - Seems to be several starters available, when checking the list of who's out there.( Redzone.org) I won't even guess who TD,McNally have their eye on but you know 1 or 2 have been targeted. That should cost 2-3 Mil against the Cap.
4. Backup QB - If Jay Fiedler gets cut by Miami, I'm betting he gets an immediate call from the Bills. Plenty of starting experience. Average arm but very mobile. Smart ( Dartmouth grad. ). If not him, then someone else with mobility and some starting experience. Mike McMahon or Charlie Batch perhaps ? - Set aside 1-2 Mil a year for this signing.
5. TE - Big concern with both Campbell and Euhus coming off knee surgery. Ken Dilger,Cam Cleeland, Anthony Becht. Fair blockers, solid hands, lots of experience. One of those guys should get a call. 1 Mil against the Cap.
6. Kicker - Strange we haven't heard TD identify this publicly as a need. I'd have to think he'd consider looking at a Vet. The Steelers Jeff Reed is restricted and would require a draft pick. Jay Feely of Atlanta is also good. The rest do nothing for me. It's probably a long shot that TD would consider Nugent on Draft Day. I wouldn't be surprised if TD just lets this play out with Lindell and Pochman, watching for NFL camp cuts in August.
7. #3 WR - Seems there is always a dozen or so older Vets with hundreds of catches looking for work well after the Draft. I don't know how serious the Bills view this, especially if the FB is going to be on the field a lot. Then you will only see Moulds and Evans anyhow. Reed gets one more shot with JP ?
8. Backup RB - Keeping Henry meant keeping a bad attitude player who would never accept the backup role. Plus he wouldn't play ST's. The problem is that very few ,if any ,quality backs are left out there. Rhodes if Indy may be the best but has had some serious injuries in the past. Will we hear a sales job on Joe Burns and Shaud Williams ? This may be a draft day concern.
9. Re-sign backup OT Marcus Price - this is more important than many think. He's 33 but can still fill in very well at either Tackle spot. Give him 1 Mil for 2 years.

Pat Williams ? If he gets a big offer, he's gone. Jennings IS gone with the Shelton deal. Williams will have to see what is offered in week 1. I hope the Bills keep him but don't break the bank for this guy. Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson would have to step up.

Final Thoughts - I realize many would like a Center but I saw vast improvement in Teague last season. With Tucker also having the ability to play both Center and Guard, the Bills may not see this as a crying need. I wouldn't mind another DT,DE but how much $$ is left will determine that, especially if Pat Williams walks.
On Draft day, I bet one of our 2 first day picks is a CB, with the Clements situation in mind after 2005. TD always thinks a year in advance. The other 1st day pick may be the backup RB we need. Slim pickings out there. Joe Burns, a RFA, may be re-signed for insurance.
TD seems most focused on the Offensive side of the ball during this off-season. I could see a Vet signed to replace Pat Williams if he leaves but outside of that, he'll be obsessed with Offensive players, as well he should.

Not too exciting but you work within your cap. Recent draft picks have to step up.

Fire away
Good post.
I agree that Pat Williams is gone if he gets a good offer. I don't care if he has a business or has said he wants to stay. IMO he will leave if the money id offered.

Henry wouldn't play special teams? lol what a bum!

If we do have 11 mill then imo we would be able to make a decent splash in free agency.

* We do need a #2 CB and perhaps a future #1 as Clements WILL demand the highest CB contract ever. <I hope we can keep him but if not then atleast we were prepared. McGee is just not ready yet if ever.

DraftBoy
02-23-2005, 08:23 AM
* We do need a #2 CB and perhaps a future #1 as Clements WILL demand the highest CB contract ever. <I hope we can keep him but if not then atleast we were prepared. McGee is just not ready yet if ever.

And he does not deserve it...

Marvelous
02-23-2005, 08:34 AM
And he does not deserve it...
I guess the question is- Is he the best?
I would say if he has a productive season similar to last years then i'd say=yes
Why wouldn't he wan't to be paid that way? I've had the unfortunate experience of having heard #22 speak and class is the farthest thing to come to mind...

Big M
02-23-2005, 08:41 AM
I guess the question is- Is he the best?
I would say if he has a productive season similar to last years then i'd say=yes
Why wouldn't he wan't to be paid that way? I've had the unfortunate experience of having heard #22 speak and class is the farthest thing to come to mind...

I would be shocked if TD could get him signed before FA, due to what Winfield received on the open market. That's why I think he's probably gone after 2005.

Michael82
02-23-2005, 08:46 AM
I would be shocked if TD could get him signed before FA, due to what Winfield received on the open market. That's why I think he's probably gone after 2005.
He'll be tagged and re-signed or traded.

audio/s
02-23-2005, 08:48 AM
the salary cap is big and the deal most likely will go down

DraftBoy
02-23-2005, 09:03 AM
He'll be tagged and re-signed or traded.

I got no problem tagging him bc you could make the argument that if he turns in another good season he'd be a top 5 corner back, top Cb money though? No way id give him that kind of a deal.

TedMock
02-23-2005, 09:09 AM
I got no problem tagging him bc you could make the argument that if he turns in another good season he'd be a top 5 corner back, top Cb money though? No way id give him that kind of a deal.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the problem is ....who's better? I did a comparison a few months back of all the top corners in the league, and Clements stacks up with any of them. The only real standout was Ty Law. Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Chris McAlister, etc. none of them were any better than Clements since he's been in the league. It was actually quite surprising.

TedMock
02-23-2005, 09:18 AM
found it.......these stats are as of Clements rookie year......

INT TD Passes defensed Tackles

Clements 18 4 34 209
Law 14 3 31 201
Woodson 6 0 25 184
Bailey 11 0 49 245
McAlister 6 2 45 182

Law missed 9 games in 2004, so I believe he actually has the most impressive numbers. Woodson held out for 8 games in 2002, but he's still not as good a cover guy as the others. Where he does stand out is in the tackles department.

Kerr
02-23-2005, 10:30 AM

Fire away

I would say Jay Fielder is the first guy they call because:
a) He has a winning record aganinst us as a starter
b) Smart qb
c) Has experience playing in cold weather
d) Has experience
e) Is mobile

He'll be the next guy on speed dial if Shane Mathews band decides to retire.

Anthony Becht-Has regressed, but can make a good weapon if used correctly. Good blocker.

Dominic Rhodes is not available anymore. The colts signed him to a 2 year deal.

I have concerns about Reed. It's looking like TD could draft a WR to compete for the 3rd receiver spot.

mysticsoto
02-23-2005, 10:32 AM
I would say Jay Fielder is the first guy they call because:
a) He has a winning record aganinst us as a starter
b) Smart qb
c) Has experience playing in cold weather
d) Has experience
e) Is mobile

He'll be the next guy on speed dial if Shane Mathews band decides to retire.

Anthony Becht-Has regressed, but can make a good weapon if used correctly. Good blocker.

Dominic Rhodes is not available anymore. The colts signed him to a 2 year deal.

I have concerns about Reed. It's looking like TD could draft a WR to compete for the 3rd receiver spot.
Jay Fiedler was making alot of money. I don't know if he'd be willing to drop as low as we'll want to pay a backup QB...personally, I prefer Shane and I hope he decides to stay.

Dozerdog
02-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Good post.

1- What makes you think that? How many pro bowls has he gone to? 1?

2- Prior to last season, shut down corners were a premium in a pass-happy league. Then Bill Polian got the league to crack down on the illegal contact rule beyond 5 yards- and passing has exploded again. Those $10-$12 million corners like Champ Bailey and Woodson are suddenly looking like over paid ordinary football players .

Kerr
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Jay Fiedler was making alot of money. I don't know if he'd be willing to drop as low as we'll want to pay a backup QB...personally, I prefer Shane and I hope he decides to stay.
That's TD and co's first choice anyway, but if we can't get fielder so be it. I'd rather have him over batch, stewart, miller and o'donell.

ShadowHawk7
02-23-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm willing to let AIken and Reed have one more chance to do something, ONLY because JP is the new QB, and could prove the people who said it was Bledsoe's fault they're not producing, becasue he always locks on Moulds/Evans, right. We should still draft a day two WR though.

Big M
02-24-2005, 04:53 AM

2- Prior to last season, shut down corners were a premium in a pass-happy league. Then Bill Polian got the league to crack down on the illegal contact rule beyond 5 yards- and passing has exploded again. Those $10-$12 million corners like Champ Bailey and Woodson are suddenly looking like over paid ordinary football players .

I agree with your post 100 % . The rules change killed the future big $$ contracts for CB's. This is why you see multiple teams now considering the 3-4 defense again. New England would drop their LB's back in a zone on pass plays. Remember how bad DB looked during that Pats Sunday night game ?
The Pats also won the SB with backup CB's starting.

If the CB's can't mug the guy all over the field ( like the Pats CB's used to ) then stick some LB's in the short zone to block the passing lanes, allowing the CB's to take deeper drops and play off the Receiver a bit more.

While this makes perfect sense to us, Nate Clements has a very healthy ego and is not going to blow his opportunity to test the Free Agent market,in order to see what he could receive. All things being equal , he probably would re-sign with the Bills but the hope of one outrageous offer will probably keep him from signing early.

Marvelous
02-24-2005, 08:36 AM

Since when do probowls rank players? I thought he was snubbed this year anyways. Here's my top reasons why i think he top dog.

-He is the best tackling CB i've seen besides Winfield
-He has the hands & agility to be a wr. And i often pondered the move for him.
-Has the speed
-is a playmaker. Forced fumbles,hard hits etc.

his main negative is he takes chances for the sportscenter highlight.

No way are we a better D without him even if we can get 2 decent players for his salary.

mysticsoto
02-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Since when do probowls rank players? I thought he was snubbed this year anyways. Here's my top reasons why i think he top dog.

-He is the best tackling CB i've seen besides Winfield
-He has the hands & agility to be a wr. And i often pondered the move for him.
-Has the speed
-is a playmaker. Forced fumbles,hard hits etc.

his main negative is he takes chances for the sportscenter highlight.

No way are we a better D without him even if we can get 2 decent players for his salary.
Unfortunately, economics comes into play alot in this game. I can pretty much guarantee that TD will grab a CB this year that may have the potential to replace Nate next year...just in case. And he may grab one next year also to ensure that losing Nate won't affect us too much.

ShadowHawk7
02-24-2005, 11:43 AM
The only downside is see about Clements is that his coverage isn't always consistent on big guys, and he doesn't come up with big stops on 3rd down often. Other than that, I think he's worth the transition tag, maybe franchise. He is a great CB.