PDA

View Full Version : The talk here is that Tedy Bruschi will retire...

Ickybaluky
02-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Rumors out here are that Tedy's family is pressuring him to retire. Nobody knows what doctors are telling him about his medical condition, but apparently his family wants him to quit playing.

The other part of the rumor is that the Pats will sign Junior Seau as a replacement, once Miami releases him (which will happen soon).

clumping platelets
02-23-2005, 10:36 AM
That's really too bad....he could have a number of yrs to play. But truly, family does come first.

The King
02-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Thats a shame Tedi was finally getting national recognition too. His position wont be hard for Belicheck to replace but his heart will be.

ddaryl
02-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Good for the rest of the AFC East bad for NE.

I think everyone is still in shock about the situation.

Dozerdog
02-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Feel sorry for football's loss...

jamze132
02-23-2005, 11:15 AM
It's too early for him to have to stop playing the game. It really sucks and it hits home that it could happen to anyone.

NC-BILLS44
02-23-2005, 11:30 AM
It's too early for him to have to stop playing the game. It really sucks and it hits home that it could happen to anyone.

It definitely hits home. That's how my sister died. She had a stroke at age 37, last June. I certainly feel for him and his family.

djjimkelly
02-23-2005, 11:36 AM
very sad situation but the picture of him playing with his kids before superbowl in my mind still im sure he would rather play with his kids then play with pats playing with kids will be for next 20 years pats maybe another 3-4

don137
02-23-2005, 11:38 AM
No one had a bigger heart on the field than Tedy. He also was very smart and always in the right spot at the right time. Its really too bad he is going out this way but football is just a game and you don't mess with your health for the good of the game. Not worth it.

DraftBoy
02-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Sucks for Tedy, but family and personal health come first.

HAMMER
02-23-2005, 11:39 AM
It's a shame but the smart thing to do. I'm sure he will be missed by the Pats as a player and a great teammate.

Earthquake Enyart
02-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I could give a flaming dump about Tedi Bruschi. Good riddance.

Tatonka
02-23-2005, 11:47 AM
isnt having a stroke before the age of like 35 super super rare? i didnt think this was something that could just happen to anyone. i thought that doctors were saying that his propensity to smash his head into things before games in warmups and stuff was something that could have precipitated all this.

The Natrix
02-23-2005, 11:49 AM
:rofl:

Stewie
02-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Sucks.

One down, 52 to go. :evil:

OpIv37
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
I feel bad for him, but I certainly won't miss having to play him twice a year.

BTW Junior Seau is no replacement for Bruschi. He's good, but he's way past his prime, and I think he's Bruschi's match in skill but not in football instincts. Seau seems to go for the big play- Bruschi's always in the perfect spot to make a tackle or play on the ball.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2005, 01:02 PM
I feel bad for him, but I certainly won't miss having to play him twice a year.

BTW Junior Seau is no replacement for Bruschi. He's good, but he's way past his prime, and I think he's Bruschi's match in skill but not in football instincts. Seau seems to go for the big play- Bruschi's always in the perfect spot to make a tackle or play on the ball.

Yeah, I'm not sold on it either. Aside from his obvious age, he has never played in a disciplined defense like the Pats. He has always been a chase player, and the Dolphins used him at OLB. Playing inside in a 3-4 look is a total departure.

I think Seau is a very smart and instinctive player, but Tedy was the brains behind the Pats front-7. He was the captain up front like Rodney Harrison is up back. That is hard to replace.

That said, this is merely rumor.

OpIv37
02-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I'm not sold on it either. Aside from his obvious age, he has never played in a disciplined defense like the Pats. He has always been a chase player, and the Dolphins used him at OLB. Playing inside in a 3-4 look is a total departure.

I think Seau is a very smart and instinctive player, but Tedy was the brains behind the Pats front-7. He was the captain up front lie Rodney Harrison is up back. That is hard to replace.

That said, this is merely rumor.

I don't think it would be a bad pick-up, given that the Pats are now down an LB and there's not much available via FA. At the very least, he's an experienced player taken from a division rival. I do think this switch would hurt the Pats D a little, but not nearly enough to take them out of contention.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2005, 01:15 PM
The funny part is that Seau wouldn't even be the Pats oldest LB. Roman Phifer is a year older.

Michael82
02-23-2005, 01:24 PM
isnt having a stroke before the age of like 35 super super rare? i didnt think this was something that could just happen to anyone. i thought that doctors were saying that his propensity to smash his head into things before games in warmups and stuff was something that could have precipitated all this.
So...in other words, it's his fault for being a dumbass. Quit smashing your head into things to get excited for the game. DUH! :crazy:

Mr. Miyagi
02-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Well said. That's how I feel too. :up:

Why is everyone suddenly so saddened by this? He's not dead yet. It should be a joyous occasion, that the Pats are weakened some more.

McBFLO
02-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Feel sorry for football's loss...

Perfectly said. He always came up with the big play for his team in big games, and that's what the great players do.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-23-2005, 02:02 PM
While I DON"T rejoice in Bruschi's physical ailment, and I do hope he does the right thing and retires,

I see this as just one more step (more to follow...wait and see) of the Patriots coming crashing to earth this year. It's gonna happen. They are gonna have injuries, retirements, off field distractions, etc etc....
MARK MY WORD.

Jeff1220
02-23-2005, 02:11 PM
While I DON"T rejoice in Bruschi's physical ailment, and I do hope he does the right thing and retires,

I see this as just one more step (more to follow...wait and see) of the Patriots coming crashing to earth this year. It's gonna happen. They are gonna have injuries, retirements, off field distractions, etc etc....
MARK MY WORD.

:pray:

Seriously, with something like a stroke, Tedi shouldn't mess around. The guy has millions of $$ and 3 SB rings. I know he's young, but life and family are certainly priorities over having a HOF career. The harsh reality of this situation is that, if this stroke is from banging his head or the like, playing football could kill him. Tedi, retire for your family, retire for your friends, retire for your life.

Mr. Miyagi
02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
And most of all, retire for the rest of the AFCE.

TigerJ
02-23-2005, 04:34 PM
A wise decision under the circumstances.

G. Host
02-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Probably a wise decision. Considering the losses in coaches by New England I would not be surprised to see him coaching in some manner for Patriots.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Probably a wise decision. Considering the losses in coaches by New England I would not be surprised to see him coaching in some manner for Patriots.

No doubt Bruschi will have some connection with the team. He is an icon around here. When he took less money to stay, he became one of the most popular Patriots. He has a cult following among fans.

Again, I want to say this is just a rumor.

The Natrix
02-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Go far, far, away Tedy. Down in the tropics somewhere. And never tackle Willis again. :mad:

DynaPaul
02-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Well, to be honest, I have absolutely no love for Tedy Bruschi. That being said it's unfortunate that his career ended like this instead of on the battlefield. At least his last game, if he retires, was a memorable one. Tedy should listen to his family.

Michael82
02-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I feel a little bit of sadness to see him go, but it's good news for Willis and JP and the rest of the Buffalo Bills team.