PDA

View Full Version : A realistic 3rd WR option: KJ

Jeff1220
02-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Kevin Johnson was released by the Ravens. He was a 2nd round pick, had a decent first year or two in Cleveland before landing in Butch Davis' doghouse. He hasn't bounced back since then, in Jax or B'more. He is a guy that has the talent to be a #1 or #2, but hasn't really produced at that level since his first couple of years. Realistically, I could see him signing w/Philly (as the article states) after they ditch Freddie Mitchell, given the McNabb-KJ connection. However, with his recent status, I could see KJ being open to a job in an area that's a bit familiar to him (he played at 'Cuse) for minimal $$ and a chance to re-prove himself.

Ravens release veteran WR Kevin Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BAL/8219417)

Kerr
02-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Sure i'll take him if he's willing to play here.

Crisis
02-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Isn't he a crybaby?

I remember him whining to get out of Cleveland.

Mr. Miyagi
02-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah he's a Keyshawn Johnson without even that little talent

TheBrownBear
02-23-2005, 01:22 PM
This guy sucks. Totally washed up. We're better off getting some guy in the 4th round.

Jayhawk
02-23-2005, 01:28 PM
I'd rather take an option quarterback and convert him to WR than that stiff

Mr. Miyagi
02-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Hell, I'd even keep Josh Reed before signing that bum.

Jan Reimers
02-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Actually, Kevin Johnson is still a fairly young, quality WR. I would take him in a New York minute, but I think he wants to be a number 1 or 2 receiver, and some team will probably pay him more than we can afford.

If, however, I'm wrong - and he would be willing to be our 3rd guy at a reasonable price - we should grab him immediately.

Mr. Miyagi
02-23-2005, 01:49 PM
He was given every chance to be the #1 guy in Baltimore, and the #2 guy in Jacksonville, and he came up short every time.

Pass.

Jan Reimers
02-23-2005, 01:58 PM
He was given every chance to be the #1 guy in Baltimore, and the #2 guy in Jacksonville, and he came up short every time.

Pass.
I think he's had an attitude problem, more than anything, the past few years. That may improve, however, with the sobering realization that his career is now in jeopardy.

Jeff1220
02-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Pass.

These have been his QBs in the NFL:
Tim Couch
Rookie Byron Leftwitch
Kyle Boller

We make excuses for guys based on QB play, he should get the same. I don't think his skills are below competing for the 3rd spot w/Josh Reed. For anyone who had the opportunity to see the guy play w/McNabb at 'Cuse, they were a great combo. KJ has speed and hands. The only flaw I'd see in him as a 3rd is that Lee Evens does them same things as him - but much better.

Mr. Miyagi
02-23-2005, 02:02 PM
These have been his QBs in the NFL:
Tim Couch
Rookie Byron Leftwitch
Kyle Boller
Fine I'll give you that. So why would the Bills bring him in for Rookie JP Losman?

Jeff1220
02-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Fine I'll give you that. So why would the Bills bring him in for Rookie JP Losman?

I don't know that they would, but if they do, it'll be as a 3rd WR - not the starter he was everywhere else.

Tatonka
02-23-2005, 02:29 PM
KJ is a good wr.. i would take him in a heartbeat.

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I would take him for a good price!

The_Philster
02-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Wouldn't hurt to bring him into camp at least :idunno:

Dozerdog
02-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Even if he came in as a Charles Johnson type - a vet off the bench

ShadowHawk7
02-23-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd rather have corey bradford, but he'd do too. If 3rd WR isn't addressed via FA, we should use a day 2 pick on one.

MDolphins2005
02-24-2005, 02:33 AM
Kevin Johnson was released by the Ravens. He was a 2nd round pick, had a decent first year or two in Cleveland before landing in Butch Davis' doghouse. He hasn't bounced back since then, in Jax or B'more. He is a guy that has the talent to be a #1 or #2, but hasn't really produced at that level since his first couple of years. Realistically, I could see him signing w/Philly (as the article states) after they ditch Freddie Mitchell, given the McNabb-KJ connection. However, with his recent status, I could see KJ being open to a job in an area that's a bit familiar to him (he played at 'Cuse) for minimal $$ and a chance to re-prove himself.

Ravens release veteran WR Kevin Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BAL/8219417)
I think he voided his last year of the contract. I doubt he would want to be a #3 WR.

He would be a good fit in Philly or K.C.

Moulds, Evans, Reed looks pretty good to me. I think the Bills are better off without him. Lee Evans is going to be a PLAYMAKER for your team. When Moulds is retired or cut Evans will be more than READY.

Are you giving up on Reed?

clumping platelets
02-24-2005, 02:37 AM
Don't want to but Reed has yet to get me the impression he could ever become what was expected of him. We need a dependable 3rd option

The Natrix
02-24-2005, 02:38 AM
Giving up on reed?

I'm not. I'd like to see how he does with Losman

MDolphins2005
02-24-2005, 03:07 AM
Don't want to but Reed has yet to get me the impression he could ever become what was expected of him. We need a dependable 3rd option
Some players do not have a break out season until year 3 - 5...aka Chris Chambers...still waiting. ;(

This year he should be a good 3rd option for the Bills. Moulds & Evans should take ALL the attention away from him. When the Bills drafted Evans it was the END of Reed's chances of being a starter in my eyes. I think Lee Evans is going to be HUGE for the Bills this season. The 3rd option WR only needs to make a couple plays a game....I think he can do that.

Jan Reimers
02-24-2005, 07:12 AM
I'd rather have corey bradford, but he'd do too. If 3rd WR isn't addressed via FA, we should use a day 2 pick on one.
Bradford is real good, but probably out of our price range. I can't see overpaying for a potential 3rd WR when we have Reed and Aiken, at least one of whom may emerge as a quality pass catcher.

Earthquake Enyart
02-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Boy, where did all the Sam Aiken love go? :::

Tatonka
02-24-2005, 07:49 AM
i am not unhappy with aiken.. you dont get alot of shots at wr number 4.. but he has never done anything to make me think he cant do the job.. and he is going into his 3rd year..

reed.. grrr.. he is so frustrating.. i am still a fan of his.. i dont know why.. he disappoints me.. but i still am pulling for him to play well.. and it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Earthquake Enyart
02-24-2005, 07:52 AM
And don't forget that Aiken's guns looked really big last year in preseason. :up:

Tatonka
02-24-2005, 07:57 AM
he is built like moulds.. your right. :up:

Jan Reimers
02-24-2005, 08:00 AM
i am not unhappy with aiken.. you dont get alot of shots at wr number 4.. but he has never done anything to make me think he cant do the job.. and he is going into his 3rd year..

reed.. grrr.. he is so frustrating.. i am still a fan of his.. i dont know why.. he disappoints me.. but i still am pulling for him to play well.. and it is not out of the realm of possibility.
I agree. Both were highly regarded coming out of college, and I still think one of them will emerge as a good 3rd receiver. That's why I don't think we should break the bank on a free agent WR.

DraftBoy
02-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Im praying that Reed shows up this year, bc honestly I think this is his last shot...What are realistic number for him to put up?

30-40 catches 300-600 yards 4-6 TD's?

MDolphins2005
02-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Im praying that Reed shows up this year, bc honestly I think this is his last shot...What are realistic number for him to put up?

30-40 catches 300-600 yards 4-6 TD's?
If he gets those kind of numbers that could mean that either Moulds or Evans were injured....or even worse that Willis is out and the Passing Attack is all that you guys have left.

DraftBoy
02-24-2005, 09:32 AM
If he gets those kind of numbers that could mean that either Moulds or Evans were injured....or even worse that Willis is out and the Passing Attack is all that you guys have left.

30 catches, 300 yards, and 4 TD's would mean we are spreading the ball around more and more, and we are executing well on offense.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I think Reed has the talent, but lacks the motivation to be an impact in the NFL.

I'll bet he is cut in August.

The Natrix
02-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Why would Reed be cut? His cap hit is minimal and I doubt the bills are going to have 5 better options. I just don't see it happening.

mysticsoto
02-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Why would Reed be cut? His cap hit is minimal and I doubt the bills are going to have 5 better options. I just don't see it happening.
B'cse he's a bust and has not produced as a WR since his rookie year? I understand alot of people are wanting to see what he looks like with a new QB at the helm. But regardless, TD might choose to draft a WR for the spot and make it open competition at camp. If Reed doesn't produce, he could get cut. There is a glut of WRs in FA also - but we can't afford a big name, so it'd have to be someone cheap were we to go that route.

The Natrix
02-24-2005, 12:47 PM
B'cse he's a bust and has not produced as a WR since his rookie year? I understand alot of people are wanting to see what he looks like with a new QB at the helm. But regardless, TD might choose to draft a WR for the spot and make it open competition at camp. If Reed doesn't produce, he could get cut. There is a glut of WRs in FA also - but we can't afford a big name, so it'd have to be someone cheap were we to go that route.

I want to see a WR drafted also (3rd or 4th round) but I don't see how Reed would get beaten out by Freddie and Aiken.

The Natrix
02-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Contract year may light a fire under Reed.

mysticsoto
02-24-2005, 12:54 PM
I want to see a WR drafted also (3rd or 4th round) but I don't see how Reed would get beaten out by Freddie and Aiken.
Just my opinion, but I feel that Mularkey using Aiken and Freddie on occasion last year was an indication that he is unsatisfied with Reed. Aiken has potential with his Moulds-like physique. Freddie was also able to get open from time to time. I wouldn't count Reed beating them out as a given this year...

Personally, I'd love to draft a Vincent Jackson and still get a cheap FA to replace Reed for this year.

The Natrix
02-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I doubt we'll find a productive WR in FA without breaking the bank. Charles Johnson and James Jett panned out great! :up: