Is anyone else here scared to death that Matthews might be our #1 backup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Is anyone else here scared to death that Matthews might be our #1 backup?

Matthews is 34 years old and was out of football when we signed him last year. Now he could possibly be our # 1 backup to a rookie QB that may have durability issues. That scares the Crap out of me. Matthews was never that good early in his career. TD get a solid backup in here!
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

I dont think it will come to that, Mularkey has to know Matthews can not lead a team to anything but the showers. Bring in a Vet I dont care who just keep Matthews at #3.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Johnny Utah
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Feb 2005

I would want fiedler instead, but it's their call. What can we do.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        Matthews is 34 years old and was out of football when we signed him last year. Now he could possibly be our # 1 backup to a rookie QB that may have durability issues. That scares the Crap out of me. Matthews was never that good early in his career. TD get a solid backup in here!
        This should have been a major concern when all the "dumping DB" talk started... honestly I am frightened about all our options. There are no reliable guys out there that are willing to be a backup... at least none that I would feel confident having on my team.

Hopefully TD has already addressed this and knows something we don't and is gonna bring in somebody reliable. I'm sure he had to have something worked out or at least a plan of attack knowing he was gonna drop Bledsoe... and if he doesn't have a plan, then he will just prove again how inept he is.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

I am confident TD will make something happen.

Comment

• Mudflap1
            Next Question!
            • Nov 2004

At least SOMEONE reads my posts around here!

Again, I'm all for Losman, let's see what the kid's got. I admit, I'm skeptical at first blush, but we used a 1st round pick on him, so we might as well throw him in the fire and see if he can play.

But the WRONG way to do is to just TELL him in February he's won the job, bar none, and to just play. Normal human nature would suggest that EVEN IF the Bills want/are going to give the job to Losman to start, they need to bring in another guy that gives him SOLID COMPETITION so that along with being spoon fed by Mularkey, Clements, and Wyche, he has someone breathing down his neck, if not going neck and neck with him (at least in his mind) so he practices, studies, and plays his complete ass off.

We all want to see him succeed in the best way possible, right? The best way possible is to have Matthews be the 3rd string guy, and to bring in a guy like Kordell Stewart (not that I'm particularly enamored with him, but at least Mularkey and Clements got the most out of him and got him to a Pro Bowl) or a Fiedler or something and have him compete, at least on paper, for the starter job.

No, I don't want to see Fiedler, Stewart, or any one of those guys beat out Losman, I'd rather have Losman play at this point and see what he can do. But at least if Losman believes he has to perform well to play instead of just being handed the keys to the organization persona non grata, he'll HAVE to play well to warrant himself winning the job.

Not only that, but in case he gets injured, or he's so completely horrid that there is a mutiny on the team (two things I don't want to see happen at all, but it's possible, see: Leaf, Ryan) there is a capable veteran starter who can win games with the team in place.

The reason we're all worried is that TD said in his press conference that Matthews is the kind of guy he'd like to have around at #2, so I'm not very confident at all that he'll bring in anyone better!

BRING IN A WORTHY VETERAN QB!

Jon

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
              At least SOMEONE reads my posts around here!

Again, I'm all for Losman, let's see what the kid's got. I admit, I'm skeptical at first blush, but we used a 1st round pick on him, so we might as well throw him in the fire and see if he can play.

But the WRONG way to do is to just TELL him in February he's won the job, bar none, and to just play. Normal human nature would suggest that EVEN IF the Bills want/are going to give the job to Losman to start, they need to bring in another guy that gives him SOLID COMPETITION so that along with being spoon fed by Mularkey, Clements, and Wyche, he has someone breathing down his neck, if not going neck and neck with him (at least in his mind) so he practices, studies, and plays his complete ass off.

We all want to see him succeed in the best way possible, right? The best way possible is to have Matthews be the 3rd string guy, and to bring in a guy like Kordell Stewart (not that I'm particularly enamored with him, but at least Mularkey and Clements got the most out of him and got him to a Pro Bowl) or a Fiedler or something and have him compete, at least on paper, for the starter job.

No, I don't want to see Fiedler, Stewart, or any one of those guys beat out Losman, I'd rather have Losman play at this point and see what he can do. But at least if Losman believes he has to perform well to play instead of just being handed the keys to the organization persona non grata, he'll HAVE to play well to warrant himself winning the job.

Not only that, but in case he gets injured, or he's so completely horrid that there is a mutiny on the team (two things I don't want to see happen at all, but it's possible, see: Leaf, Ryan) there is a capable veteran starter who can win games with the team in place.

BRING IN A WORTHY VETERAN QB!

Jon

Jon
              Great post.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                The best way possible is to have Matthews be the 3rd string guy, and to bring in a guy like Kordell Stewart (not that I'm particularly enamored with him, but at least Mularkey and Clements got the most out of him and got him to a Pro Bowl) or a Fiedler or something and have him compete, at least on paper, for the starter job.

No, I don't want to see Fiedler, Stewart, or any one of those guys beat out
                This is what I said a while back.

Stewart makes sense for those reasons, in addition to the fact that they want to tailor this Offense around JP, a mobile QB. As bad as Kordell is, I think he would be the best fit as our #2 and would probably be able to step in if JP goes down and have the most success.

Good post.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

I wish Drew would have accepted the pay cut- even if they decided to go with Losman now- let them "compete" in training camp just to make the kid work and boost his confidence by making him feel like he "earned" it.

BTW this was my complaint last year when Losman was injured and people wanted to bench Drew- Matthews is like a fire extinguisher. He's there in case you need him, but you pray like hell that you won't.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

I would be ok with Stewart also.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Stewart is horrible.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

What does anyone know about Matthews performance? He hasn't had a chance to play at all. What do you guys who are so uncomfortable know about him really? He played in a very tough situation in Chicago...and I watched a lot of those games and thought he gave a very mediocre team a chance to win by managing what he had on the field pretty well. What do you know about how hard he worked when he came in here right before the season started to get prepared? What kind of commitment to the Bills is he showing right now?

This is definately something we have to trust the coaches on. Even if we do bring in a guy like fiedler that is because we think it makes the team better not because we don't have the confidence in Matthews. On the other hand maybe we don't have that confidence...but the confiidence is built through his abilities to do the work.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                          What does anyone know about Matthews performance? He hasn't had a chance to play at all. What do you guys who are so uncomfortable know about him really? He played in a very tough situation in Chicago...and I watched a lot of those games and thought he gave a very mediocre team a chance to win by managing what he had on the field pretty well. What do you know about how hard he worked when he came in here right before the season started to get prepared? What kind of commitment to the Bills is he showing right now?

This is definately something we have to trust the coaches on. Even if we do bring in a guy like fiedler that is because we think it makes the team better not because we don't have the confidence in Matthews. On the other hand maybe we don't have that confidence...but the confiidence is built through his abilities to do the work.
                          How much of a chance does this guy need? 20 years? He has been in the leauge for 12 years already and hasn't proved anything.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                            Stewart is horrible.
                            He is better than Matthews.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Matthews is a dink and dunker with a rag arm. He is smart and does throw the ball to the right guy. He'll get rid of it and not get sacked. He is a small man though and does get injured easilly. I'm ok with him as long as JP doesn't get hurt in game 2. No way Matthews can play 10 games.

A few years ago, the Bears handed the QB job to Kordell, and he was one of the worst QB's I've ever seen.

Guys I would take ahead of Kordell:

King
                              Matthews
                              Jim Miller
                              Vinny
                              Cokehead
                              Gannon with a broken neck
                              Joe Ferguson

Comment

Working...
                              X