PDA

View Full Version : Run Ricky, Run

venis2k1
12-03-2002, 12:51 PM
If Ricky Williams runs for 1500 yards for the season, then the fins have to give up their 1st round pick to the saints for him. (54 yard average in his last 4 games) suddenly i feel better about ricky running for 200 yards against us.

Dozerdog
12-03-2002, 12:56 PM
So, what was the better deal? 1 first rounder next year for Bledsoe?

Or 2 #1s and a #2 for Ricky. And RBs don't last as long.....:squish:

dolfan25
12-03-2002, 01:35 PM
we didn't give up a #2 for Ricky, we'll give 1 up if he doesn't rush for 1500 yds. But then we won't give up a 1st rder. Either way it's a 1 and 2 or a 1 and a 1 not a 1, 1 , and a 2. Plus we moved up in the 4th rd. and got McMichael with that pick. He's hit the rookie wall now but I'd definitely call him a keeper. Also look at Miami's recent #1 picks.

'95-Billy Milner(Crap)
'96-Daryl Gardner(Good but a malcontent)
'97-Yatil Green(had loads of talent but 2 training camp blown out knees)
'98-John Avery(Fast but crap)
'99-JJ Johnson(2nd rd pick-crap)
'00-Todd Wade(2nd rd. pick-average RT)
'01-Jamar Fletcher(finally showing some progress, jury's still out)
'02-Ricky Williams(effectively this pick is Ricky, uhh yeah I'd call it a good move)

Based on this history I could care less if we give up 2 picks for him. How many high picks have we burned looking for a RB in the last 20 years.

Dozerdog
12-03-2002, 01:52 PM
I stand Corrected, 25. I initially assumed it was a #2 because the Dolphins did not draft until Seth McKinnie at the #3 spot. And are you saying because Miami can't draft well at the top justifies overpaying for Williams?

After a little research, I pose this question-

Who got the Better Deal?

1) Miami- Ricky & McMichael

2) Buffalo - Drew Bledsoe

3) New Orleans- Charles Grant, Keyou Craver, & #1 in 2003 (20th pick or so)

4) New England #1 in 2003 (15-20th pick)

Dozerdog
12-03-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm going with

1) Buffalo- Pro Bowl QB and they didn't give up any high#1 or #2 picks in the last draft.

2) New Orleans- Got younger, faster, cheaper (Cap wise) and turned around a poor season overnight with an excellent draft.

3) Miami- Swapping picks with the Saints got them McMichael (they might have gotten him anyways) and Ricky looks like a 100 yd per game guy. I rank Miami #3 because I question the durability of ANY RB getting the load & attention he gets from defenses, and with Miami's upcoming cap problems I think they would have been better served replacing some pricy $$$ with youth.

Pats- What a Joke. Traded up to get a TE in the first round that does not play, in a TE rich draft and TE rich FA market. Will get a pick somewhere from 15-20 for Bledsoe. did the best they could, I guess, but this decision will come back to haunt them(if the Bills get a coach who can adjust to the Pats D)

Bledsoe, on a Bills team with tons of Cap space to fix their D, will be dangerous next season.

venis2k1
12-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by dolfan25
we didn't give up a #2 for Ricky, we'll give 1 up if he doesn't rush for 1500 yds. But then we won't give up a 1st rder. Either way it's a 1 and 2 or a 1 and a 1 not a 1, 1 , and a 2. Plus we moved up in the 4th rd. and got McMichael with that pick. He's hit the rookie wall now but I'd definitely call him a keeper. Also look at Miami's recent #1 picks.

'95-Billy Milner(Crap)
'02-Ricky Williams(effectively this pick is Ricky, uhh yeah I'd call it a good move)

Based on this history I could care less if we give up 2 picks for him. How many high picks have we burned looking for a RB in the last 20 years.

sounds like you should have traded for a good GM and not a Running back.:gobills:

wharfrat
12-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1

sounds like you should have traded for a good GM and not a Running back.:gobills:

Actually, since Speilman took the reigns, the picks have improved...I think last year's draft was a good one.. we got McMike and McKinney out of it, in addition to Ricky. Personally, I think Ricky is a workhorse who will be around for a while.

I wouldn't really start saying that Ricky won't last as long as Bledsoe either... Drew has proven he's still got what it takes, but he's certainly no spring chicken...

I don't think any of the teams mentioned, with the exception of NE(Saints, Fins, Bills) can complain about the trades ... everyone made out pretty well, for the type of team they are trying to build... with the exception, of course, of the Pats.. who simply got burned....

Cliff Klaven
12-04-2002, 12:12 PM

'95-Billy Milner(Crap)

stop bragging!

SABURZFAN
12-04-2002, 12:20 PM

'95-Billy Milner(Crap)

Originally posted by wharfrat

Actually, since Speilman took the reigns, the picks have improved...I think last year's draft was a good one.. we got McMike and McKinney out of it, in addition to Ricky. Personally, I think Ricky is a workhorse who will be around for a while.

I wouldn't really start saying that Ricky won't last as long as Bledsoe either... Drew has proven he's still got what it takes, but he's certainly no spring chicken...

I don't think any of the teams mentioned, with the exception of NE(Saints, Fins, Bills) can complain about the trades ... everyone made out pretty well, for the type of team they are trying to build... with the exception, of course, of the Pats.. who simply got burned....

:z:

wharfrat
12-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

:z:

:flush:

venis2k1
12-04-2002, 01:40 PM
:loblo:

SABURZFAN
12-04-2002, 02:10 PM
:squish:

don137
12-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Bledsoe will last longer and be more productive longer than Ricky will be. The style Ricky runs will wear him down and he will only have 2-3 more productive years before he sharply decline. Bledsoe will be good for another 4-5 years.

venis2k1
12-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by don137
Bledsoe will last longer and be more productive longer than Ricky will be. The style Ricky runs will wear him down and he will only have 2-3 more productive years before he sharply decline. Bledsoe will be good for another 4-5 years.

a decent QB might add some years to Ricky's carrer, he is gonna find him self in the same situation in a few years that he was in when he was in NO, he is gonna be trying to carry a team by himself, and its gonna break him down.

wharfrat
12-04-2002, 03:18 PM

a decent QB might add some years to Ricky's carrer, he is gonna find him self in the same situation in a few years that he was in when he was in NO, he is gonna be trying to carry a team by himself, and its gonna break him down.

That's a good point... I've never been a Fiedler basher... but I'm not his biggest supporter either. He can be efficient, but we could do better. I'd also like to see more FB carries... Konrad is capable, could even be very good if given the chance... I don't think it's Ricky's style of running that would wear him down.. I think if anything, it would be the lack of other weapons...

don137
12-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Ricky's style is more north-south as opposed to east-west. These types of runners do not have long careers because they take a heavy dose on contact. These runners are productive for a while and then the inury bug hits and they go down hill fast. Earl Campbell was a classic north-south runner while Barry Sanders was the best east-west runner that I ever saw. Sanders was so elusive that defenders rarely got a vicious hit against him.

Dozerdog
12-04-2002, 05:50 PM
the new 5 yr $25 million contract they signed Fiedler to (sound familliar, #11 fans?)will saddle the Dolphins in Ricky's immediate future. No new QB other than drafting a rookie...

venis2k1
12-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by don137
...Barry Sanders was the best east-west runner that I ever saw. Sanders was so elusive that defenders rarely got a vicious hit against him.

Didn't Barry retire at 30???
:afro:

Cntrygal
12-04-2002, 06:18 PM

Didn't Barry retire at 30???
:afro:

If I remember right.... He wanted to leave the Lions and they wouldn't release his contract.