PDA

View Full Version : Why were TD and MM the only ones...

Bill Brasky
02-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Commenting on Clarett this afternoon? I was watching ESPN News and Sportscenter... nobody else commented on him but those two. They aren't thinking of drafting this goon are they? :huh:

helmetguy
02-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Let's hope not.

kevinj22
02-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Let's not forget that everyone laughed, booed, cried and cursed when they drafted Magahee. What are those same people saying now?? If they get him late (4th or 5th) round I would definitely take him.

BillsFever21
02-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Let's not forget that everyone laughed, booed, cried and cursed when they drafted Magahee. What are those same people saying now?? If they get him late (4th or 5th) round I would definitely take him.
Same here.

Canadian'eh!
02-24-2005, 07:25 PM
I'd drop a 4th and POSSIBLY a 3rd on him....

there's an article on ESPN.com about him showing up to the combine in a VERY different state of mind and body.

He seems to be in very good shape and even HUUMBLED.

He talked about the time he spent with a lawyer/friend in the past year and this guy made him look at himself objectively and see how immature and seflish he ahas been. he says it hurt to do it but he feels as though he is a better person for having done it.

anyway, the guy was definately talented enough.... i'd take the risk. low pay, low pick and high reward if he turns it around... then we might be looking at a 1st round pick in the future for him.

Dozerdog
02-24-2005, 07:37 PM
NFL total access had a story on Clarett today. Apparently, he's trying to portray himself as a changed man, more dedicated. He is the only player who will ever go through two combines, and apparently he made a big ass out of himself last year.

TD was very vocal on how dumb he came across last yrear, and I guess he was the first guy the press ran to for aq sound byte on it this year.

ddaryl
02-24-2005, 07:37 PM
to quote TD

you have to have 2 good backs.

Clarett actually looks good this combine, and if he puts up good numbers he'll get drafted late in day 1, but I doubt TD will reach for a guy like Clarett, he's have to fall

Ickybaluky
02-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Commenting on Clarett this afternoon? I was watching ESPN News and Sportscenter... nobody else commented on him but those two. They aren't thinking of drafting this goon are they? :huh:

There are rumors that the Patriots were going to draft Clarett with the #32 pick last year before he was ruled ineligible. After he was ruled in eligible, they dealt for Dillon.

Belichick reportedly really likes Clarett, feeling his maturity issues won't be a problem if he just gets a chance to play football and earn some money. Jim Brown, who is an advisor to Clarett, is a close personal friend of Belichick and has recommended him. Also, Pats QB coach Josh McDaniels' father Thom was Clarett's High School coach. Josh worked in the Pats front office prior to taking the QB coach job this year.

Don't be surprised if the Pats draft Clarett this year. In fact, don't be surprised if they draft him higher than most think he will go.

Kenny
02-24-2005, 08:26 PM
The whole McGahee thing, was a completely different situation though.
Unlike Clarette, McGahee was projected a top3 pick before the injury. This guy was a stud in college, and possible future dominant player in the NFL before his injury. That, and there were definate question marks on Henry... the prior season the guy fumbled the ball 10+ times.

Demon
02-24-2005, 08:28 PM
If Donahoe selects Clarett then awsome.

I mocked Donahoe for his drafting every year he has been year and looking at it, he has proven me wrong every time. Sure he made mistakes on some guys but who doesn't. He's a master at seeing talent, esspicially late round talent. If they pick Clarett, then Clarett will have an impact in Buffalo. Donahoe knows what he is doing when it comes to the draft. So i'm not worried at all.

ShadowHawk7
02-24-2005, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't mind it if it was day two, and we had not signed a backup RB yet.

Mr. Miyagi
02-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Imagine TD picked Clarette.

It'd be such a "slap in the face" for Willis. :snicker:

ajsdx
02-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Imagine TD picked Clarette.

It'd be such a "slap in the face" for Willis. :snicker:

I'd pay to see a live split screen of Henry and Willis if that happens...

I also saw the ESPN article about Clarett's maturity, and good for him. However, I don't think we should take him unless it's in the fourth round or lower. He was good in college, but he was hurt a lot, which isn't good for an RB. He reminds me a little of Emmitt Smith, but 1) we don't have the Cowboys' 1993 Oline, and 2) there's only one Emmitt. I wouldn't mind him as a backup, but we certainly do not NEED him.

Jersey1031
02-24-2005, 10:14 PM
anyway, the guy was definately talented enough.... i'd take the risk. low pay, low pick and high reward if he turns it around... then we might be looking at a 1st round pick in the future for him.

thats the main reason right there...high reward on a small bet

Marvelous
02-24-2005, 10:40 PM
i heard on the radio today that he will be a 4th round pick maybe a lower 3rd. IMO we need depth but do we really wanna a popular name like that again? Lets keep Willis happy as can be imo and go with a servicable backup with exp.

Tatonka
02-24-2005, 11:23 PM
you guys are talking about willis like it is set in stone that his leg will hold up... while i dont question willis being tough.. he got dinged in almost every game, only to come back.. we need a good back up.. if clarrett is there and has something to prove and td thinks he is worth the pick.. take him.

clumping platelets
02-25-2005, 12:12 AM
If Bills drafted him in the 7th rd......I would have no problems with it

That Guy
02-25-2005, 12:36 AM
I think TD might grab him if he's around on Day 2.

mypoorfriendme
02-25-2005, 01:08 AM
first off, we could be talkign about him because we dont care if other teams know how we see him, because we are in fact, not interested at all.

however, id like to see us take him just because of the hype leading up to that fiesta bowl; the big bout of mcgahee vs. clarett.

3 years ago, think how excited we wuold have been if someone told us "the bills will have a backfield bosting both mcgahee and clarett" (keep in mind a healthy clarett would have shattered ncaa freshman records and mcgahee broke TD records that year)

shotgun
02-25-2005, 01:09 AM
if this happens i will not re-new my season tickets and move to were ever mcgahee is traded... end of store because he is a stud in 10 years willis will be saying move over emmitt

Mr. Cynical
02-25-2005, 02:40 AM
TD isn't dumb enough to create another RB controversy. We have alot more pressing needs.

Earthquake Enyart
02-25-2005, 06:20 AM
The moment of truth will be when Clarett runs his 40. He was terrible last year.

ryjam282
02-25-2005, 06:26 AM
He really isn't the fastest guy in the world, just a good RB. Good vision and the ability to break tackles....A little faster then Henry but not world blowing speed.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-25-2005, 07:49 AM
If we DO grab him in the fourth round (how could we pass on him at that level?) I don't see there being any controversy at all. He would be a 4th round rookie, Willis is very established with no problematic past (like Travis's fumbling problems and not being a big play threat)...I can't see how there would be any controversy at all. It would be a good move to grab the guy...let him play here as a backup for a couple of years then use him as trade bait.

mysticsoto
02-25-2005, 08:01 AM
What are you guys talking about ? Worried about a RB controversy? Hello? Have you forgotten what WM can do? There was a RB controversy 2 years ago b'cse WM could potentially exceed TH abilities if he recovered fully - and he did. Do we honestly think Maurice can surpass WM in skill level? I think not!!! Any RB that we take will know that he is a backup. And if it turns out that he becomes a very good backup, he becomes trade bait in 3 years or so. But WM has earned his spot on this roster and barring an accident, will not be unseated easily at all!

Canadian'eh!
02-25-2005, 08:37 AM
If we DO grab him in the fourth round (how could we pass on him at that level?) I don't see there being any controversy at all. He would be a 4th round rookie, Willis is very established with no problematic past (like Travis's fumbling problems and not being a big play threat)...I can't see how there would be any controversy at all. It would be a good move to grab the guy...let him play here as a backup for a couple of years then use him as trade bait.

my thoughts exactly. There would be no controversy.This guy is not about to walk in here and be a threat to Willis. we need depth, he'd be a mid rounder with a checkered past and not someone who everyeon is XPECTING to overtake Willis any day now. He'd just be the engimatic backup that everyone wonders about. If he gets into a few games and shows flashes AND handles the backup role with maturity, then we are sitting pretty.

Plus with a mid round contract we could cut him at the fisrt sign of problems and the only cost would be the pick (which was less than 50-50 to be useful anyway)

ShadowHawk7
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
I'd only draft him 5th round, MAYBE 4th, depending on who we already drafted and who is on the board 4th round.

jamze132
02-25-2005, 02:51 PM
I said it another thread, Donahoe will make a trade to get into the 1st round and grab him. But I really hope not.

:crazy:

mypoorfriendme
02-25-2005, 05:57 PM
clarett has all the potential in the world based of his freshman season, and would be a great change of pace back to compliment mcgahee's style

and as far as "controversy" goes, the bills wouldnt be drafting him to start, theyd be drafting him strictly as a backup.