PDA

View Full Version : Dan Neil Released by Broncos

Kerr
02-24-2005, 11:26 PM
This guy is good. Any chance we could land this guy? How much dough will he command? Clump?

Michael82
02-24-2005, 11:30 PM
He was at RG. But he sounds like a helluva player. :up:
-----------------------------------------

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 285 lbs.
College: Texas
Born: in Houston, Texas
High School: Cypress Creek High School
Resides: Lone Tree, Colo.
Acquired: Draft #3 (67th overall), 1997
Pro Year: 8th
Year with Broncos: 8th
NFL Games Played/Started: 108/104
Postseason: 4/4

Dan Neil is a major reason why the Broncos' offensive line has established itself as one of the NFL's most dominating units. Neil's consistency at guard in 2003 allowed Denver to set a franchise record for most rushing yards (2,629) in a season while also tying for the fourth-fewest sack total (25) in team history. Starting in 14 games, his efforts in 2003 helped Clinton Portis eclipse 1,500 yards for the second consecutive year and rush for 100 yards in 11 different games. Entering his eighth NFL season, the six-year starter has developed into a veteran leader and model of consistency who has solidified the interior of Denver's offensive line. He helped Portis set a rookie-franchise record in 2002 with 1,508 yards and has been critical to the success of many other Broncos backs. He also cleared the way for a 2,000-yard rushing season by Terrell Davis in 1998 and back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons by a pair of Broncos rookies—Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson—in 1999 and 2000. Neil enjoyed a breakthrough season in 1998 during the Broncos' second consecutive World Championship season, starting in all 16 regular season and all three postseason games at right guard. Behind that unit, Davis collected 2,008 yards, the third-highest single-season rushing total in league history. He has played in 95 career games (92) starts. After playing college ball at Texas, where he was a consensus All-American as a junior and senior, and a finalist for the Outland Trophy (top offensive lineman) as a senior, Neil was selected by the Broncos in the third round (No. 67 overall) of the 1997 NFL Draft. The pick was obtained in a trade with the New York Jets that allowed Denver to move up 21 places for the opportunity to select him.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Team/neil_mug.jpg

tampabay25690
02-24-2005, 11:36 PM
It always seems any guy from Denvers line is pretty good. But yea Neil is a hell of a player and will be a great pickup for someone....

G. Host
02-25-2005, 04:47 AM
It always seems any guy from Denvers line is pretty good. But yea Neil is a hell of a player and will be a great pickup for someone....

Well Trey came from Denver; he'll know how good he was and how much of the line's performance was coaching.

R. Rich
02-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Well Trey came from Denver; he'll know how good he was and how much of the line's performance was coaching.

I'd prefer we look elsewhere, simply because we need more size in the interior of the OL, for both pass protection reasons (eliminate the bull rushes up the middle) and for the running game (a guard who can knock people on their butts and create big holes in the middle of the field: what a novel idea!). The Broncos' OL has had much success, to be sure, but have used questionable methods in terms of blocking schemes, methods so questionable that the players won't comment to the media on them nor will the coaches. Unless our line starts using those same principles (I sure hope not), we should look elsewhere for help.

Dozerdog
02-25-2005, 05:43 AM

LOL...looks a bit ******ed.....:jk:

But seriously, I want to land Big Pat before anyhting else

Earthquake Enyart
02-25-2005, 06:22 AM

But seriously, I want to land Big Pat before anyhting else
I was thinking the exact same thing. He's fit right in with Pat and Thurm.

Jan Reimers
02-25-2005, 06:25 AM
I agree with Rich. He's a tad small and maybe a product of the Denver chop block system. I'm also not sure that Vllarrial at RG is our biggest problem.

Historian
02-25-2005, 06:50 AM

I don't know about that, but from this picture he certainly looks as if he's stumbled into some poison ivy.
:D

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-25-2005, 09:40 AM
I don't know about that, but from this picture he certainly looks as if he's stumbled into some poison ivy.
:D

He does look like a doof but it's pretty obvious he just took off his helmet...that can make anyone look like a dork.

I would be thinking of him at LG if he came here, but I think we will miss on him, he will be gobbled up by another team right away.

Ickybaluky
02-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Neil has been nagged by injuries the last few years. Last year, he battled a hernia and knee problems. He had knee surgery last month.

He had lost his starting job, and the fact Denver released him would make me suspect they feel injuries have reduced his ability. Denver told him they would re-sign him, but only at the vet minimum as they view him as a backup.

Neil is small (6-2, 285#), but always compensated with quickness. The Denver system utilizes a blocking scheme that takes advantage of smaller, quicker players. With injuries slowing him down, Neil became less effective.