PDA

View Full Version : Will Gilbride keep this up?

WG
12-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Notice how when we ran Henry 35 times we had the largest margin of victory, our greatest number of offensive points scored, and most convincing win so far this season.

The question is can Gilbride restrain himself from putting the ball in the air instead of running Henry as he did on Sunday. Even then, our passing game essentially consisted of 3 big plays. Drew threw for 306 yards but 60% of that was on three huge tosses; 73 (a short toss for a big gain), 57 (an underthrown ball tipped to Moulds), and 47 (a long nice pass to Moulds sideline) for 177 yards.

After that Drew only slung 12 of 24 for 131 yards. It was clearly our running the ball that won us this game. I truly believe that Drew's TDs will improve as they did on Sunday if we run Henry more. It really opens things up and creates opps for Drew when teams can't put 6 men in coverage.

I just hope Gilbride translates this victory that way. This was Henry's second largest rushing performance and certainly his most consistent one w/ a long run of only 13 yards. It was also his largest total yards performance.

Henry needs to be the centerpiece of this O. Let's hope Gilbride agrees.

LMB
12-03-2002, 03:34 PM
There is no reason henry shouldn't be a 1300+ yard back every year we have him. give him the ball let him run

4thAndLong
Exactly what I've been saying Wys.

Henry is what gets the O on track, he is one of the most underrated players in the league.

lordofgun
I'd like to see some longer runs. :D

WG
12-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Hey, I'll take 4.8 YPC and no run longer than 10 yards all season long. That would make him the most reliable rusher in the league easily. I'd rather see consistent drives using him 6-8 carries a drive for 3-10 yards than have him rush for 30 and 40 yards twice in a game easily. Think about the ball-control/clock opps given that.

Originally posted by LMB
There is no reason henry shouldn't be a 1300+ yard back every year we have him. give him the ball let him run

I'd say 1,500+ even...

BlackJohn
12-03-2002, 04:31 PM
Wys, what you forgot to mention about those 3 passes was that they were 3 consecutive passes, and they completely blew the game open. Thats pretty important. But i totally agree that they were set up by Henry running all day. Amazing what this offense can do when teams respect the run ... isn't it?

TedMock
12-03-2002, 04:49 PM
I agree, it also allows the passing game to take a few chances and give opportunity for big plays. I also agree with taking 4.8ypc everytime. This makes him the most consistant back going.

Shiny Chicken
12-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Glad to see you've you reaaly come around on Henry, Wys :)

THATHURMANATOR
12-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Good points WYS I agree. It was a great gameplan sunday!!!

WG
12-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by BlackJohn
Wys, what you forgot to mention about those 3 passes was that they were 3 consecutive passes, and they completely blew the game open. Thats pretty important. But i totally agree that they were set up by Henry running all day. Amazing what this offense can do when teams respect the run ... isn't it?

Yeah, sure is. Think Gilbride will get the hint permanently? Or do you think this was our "foul weather" game plan?

On the passes, my point was that other than those, our passing game really didn't do much. And given those, the first was an 11-yard pass turned big. The Moulds TD wouldn't have happened except for that tip. The other was a big pass play on a drive that Henry was doing just fine by himself. In fact, it was the only complete pass on the drive.

I also think Drew's high profile makes fans and media want to see him light things up when that may not be in the best interests of the team overall. But again, I really think he'd have fewer yards but more TDs if Henry became the focus, eh.

shelby
12-03-2002, 06:46 PM
Wys....sorry, brotha...but i think that was Gilbride's "foul weather" game plan. He seems committed to the pass week in and week out.:rolleyes:

Henry can win games for us....hopefully Gilbride will keep that in mind over the next 4 weeks.

:gobills:

WG
12-03-2002, 06:52 PM
Are you sure about that? Did ya read it somewhere or is it merely speculation? That would be tragic if he goes back to a pass-first approach.

shelby
12-03-2002, 06:53 PM
no wys...just my opinion. i have no facts to back it up.
{sowwy}

WG
12-03-2002, 07:02 PM
I suspect you're right. I'll be on edge until I see something different on Sunday. I just have a hunch they're gonna play the "Bledsoe-Brady" media game again.

I think part of it may be a subconscious to show that Drew can win the game by himself to "in-your-face" the Pats over the trade. How silly and childish would that be. Alas, I can see it being a portion of the reason.

mchurchfie
12-03-2002, 10:09 PM
He will go back to being pass happy again WYs...I wasn't kidding when I told you that Gilbride had Bledsoe on his fantasy football team:D

Typ0
12-03-2002, 10:59 PM
I look at the situation and think "it's too good to be true". You know what that means. It's too bad I really like Gilbride but if he doesn't come off his horse on this one my confidence in his leadership is severly dimished. I have no problem if Bledsoe makes 3 passes worth 200 yards every week. It's much more probable we will be successful winning games with a solid running attack and some big plays than it is with this dink and dunk crap that is so popular in the league now. We've got the talent to rip people apart with long balls if we keep them honest with Henry things will be good for our offense.

TacklingDummy
12-03-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by shelby
Wys....sorry, brotha...but i think that was Gilbride's "foul weather" game plan. He seems committed to the pass week in and week out.:rolleyes:

Henry can win games for us....hopefully Gilbride will keep that in mind over the next 4 weeks.

:gobills:

Last 4 games are in NE, Buffalo, Green Bay and Buffalo. I don't see too many warm weather games left. Running the Ball may be needed more.

lunatic_bills_fan
12-04-2002, 07:31 AM
I agree with almost all points concerning Henry running the ball. I believe it will open more oppertunities for Drew, however if everyone wants to run the ball 30+ times a game, I believe that $8 million is too much to spend for a QB. If what you guys are saying is true than Cinnci should have an incredible offence because regardless of what people think, Cory Dillion is an excellent RB. Just put the ball in the hands of CD and Bengals should have a winning team. On the other hand, the team with one of the best offensive production numbers of the year, both TD and Yards wise, is a team called Oakland. Tell me how many times they run the ball in a game, they are also 8-4 on the year. Although I like a team that runs the ball, Oakland shows that you can win games without running. Charlie Garner has 5.7/ypc average. Yet Oakland still insists in throwing the ball, this is not my idea of a perfect offence, but I cant argue that they have the best offence in the league. I also cannot argue with an 8-4 record.

Kelly The Dog
12-04-2002, 12:06 PM
well as usual those stats are a little misleading. Henry had a terrific game and was probably the MVP of it for the Bills but just looking at 35 carries and saying we need to do that more is deceiving. 13 of those carries came in the 4th quarter after we were up 17 points and Miami, without a passing attack and in a snowstorm, had no chance of coming back. Granted, Henry churning out yards and first downs was fantastic as well as impressive, but it was equally the run and the pass that won that game. I also take a little umbrage with the idea that the tipped ball to Moulds was a fluke or shouldn't have happened or was completely lucky. Moulds beat his man badly, was wide open, and the ball was a little underthrown. The DB jumped and at the top of his jump barely got both hands on it and just slowed it down more than anything. Moulds didnt break stride hardly at all and just reached back to catch it. It was a nice catch but not as flukey a play as some people, especially dolphin fans are making it out to be. Mopulds was well behind him. The ball in horrible conditions was just a little short. The DB Madison didnt make the play because he was beat so bad not because the throw was so bad or because he was unlucky.

TedMock
12-04-2002, 12:28 PM
I completely agree with you Kelly. The ball was almost perfect and Madison actually made a nice play getting to it but it was too little to late after he'd been beat. If the ball was underthrown it would've been picked. Moulds also made a very good play on it.