PDA

View Full Version : TD speaks on the draft...

Tatonka
02-25-2005, 08:48 AM
just a little info from TD and MM.

this is a good website for draft info.

BILLS TALK
Mike Mularkey was the first coach in today and he said that the Bills had brought LJ Shelton in for a physical and a casual interview with the team. They're interested in Shelton because Jonas Jennings is a free agent and they're unsure if he will be back. He also said that the team is looking to pick up a veteran to backup J.P. Losman. Mularky praised Losman's work ethic, saying that he has been in Buffalo voluntarily studying film for 2-3 hours a day. He also said that they hope to get Shane Matthews back to fill that spot but that Matthews was still weighing his options with his family life. Tom Donahoe reiterated how much of a crap shoot this draft is in comparison to past years. In regards to Minnesota obtaining the 7th overall pick he said, "Usually you get to the combine and you know who the top 5-7 guys are and I don't know that you know that this year. Usually you get a good player at 7, but we don't know who that guy is this year." He also said that Shawne Merriman was a great fit in the 3-4. He also said that in Pittsburgh, the advantage to the 3-4 was that so few teams played it. Now that it is becoming a trend in the league, it may become less effective. Donahoe also said that Bills scouts said Clarett came in looking good and in good shape.

http://www.draftshowcase.com/05combine1.htm

Bulldog
02-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Any speculation on where Clarett will be drafted?

Tatonka
02-25-2005, 09:01 AM
more info on guards

this byu kid, scott young, friggen tore it up on the bench.. 44 reps.. and has done as many as 53.

GUARDS
Not only did BYU's Scott Young impress on the bench, but scouts around Indy have praised his athleticism. He's a hot name who is moving up the draft boards. Claude Terrell says he may hire a personal nutritionist after weighing in at 343 lbs, 13 lbs heavier than his playing weight. He played right tackle this past year but is being looked at exclusively at Guard. Oregon's Adam Snyder is also being projected at Guard but some teams say they might give him a try at tackle. He's talked to Atlanta, Miami and Washington. Joe Berger of D2 Michigan Tech measured in at 6'5 1/2, 303. Will do all workouts here. He is being looked at as more of a guard here. More on Berger to come. David Baas came in at 6'4, 319, and is being looked at as both a guard and center. Cleveland will interview him, and he has talked with the Bengals among other teams. He talks to former Wolverine center Dave Pearson a lot and has been compared to Steve Hutchinson. Marcus Johnson weighed 6'6, 321 and will do a full workout here. He has signed with Rich Moran and has said that teams have been wanting him at both Guard and Tackle. Elton Brown measured in at 6047, 329. He has interviewed with Packers, Falcons, Saints, Dolphins, Chiefs, Lions, and Panthers. Some teams have a slight interest in him as a right tackle. He will not workout at all here and will instead wait for his pro day. He is represented by Joel Seigel. Wisconsin's Dan Buenning will do all workouts in Indianapolis. Chicago and Detroit are the two teams hottest on his trail right now. Logan Mankins will do the complete workout and will get looks at both Guard and Tackle. Chris Kemoeatau will also do all of the workouts and Cleveland is among the interested teams in the Utah guard. Chris Myers said that the Broncos are among the teams interested in him because of their history of having lighter, quicker linemen. A strained hamstring will prohibit him from working out here, but he will participate in Miami's pro day. CJ Brooks will do all workouts. He came in at 6'5, 309.

CENTERS
Ben Wilkerson is adament that he is recovered from his knee injury. He had a wire in his knee after the injury but it has been removed. He came in at 6'3, 300. The two toughest linemen he's had to block are Tommie Harris and Langston Moore, the former South Carolina product who Wilkerson called one of the most underrated players around. Jason Brown measured in at 6'2, 314. He cut down from the 330 he played at last season to better play the center position. Chris Spencer called himself the best center in the SEC, something Ben Wilkerson later refuted.

Earthquake Enyart
02-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Any speculation on where Clarett will be drafted?
I'll all hinge on that 40 time. If he rolls out another 4.6, he'll still be a 5th rounder. If he can lay down a 4.4 he'll probably go in round 2.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Did it strike anybody else as odd that Donahoe is mentioning the #7 pick....
Minny currently has the #7, right? Should we start theorizing???

DraftBoy
02-25-2005, 09:35 AM
I say if its a low 4.4 like (4.43 or below) he sneeks in end of round 2 anything over 4.53 and he's going round 4 or later.

ShadowHawk7
02-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Did it strike anybody else as odd that Donahoe is mentioning the #7 pick....
Minny currently has the #7, right? Should we start theorizing???
:cynic: reread the quote dude..

jamze132
02-25-2005, 02:36 PM
I'll all hinge on that 40 time. If he rolls out another 4.6, he'll still be a 5th rounder. If he can lay down a 4.4 he'll probably go in round 2.

I don't think 4.4 and 4.6 is really a big difference. But for some reason, it matter's to the coaches and FO personnel.

jamze132
02-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I seriously doubt that Donahoe was making any sort of hint whatsover about us getting the 7th overall pick.

juice
02-25-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't think 4.4 and 4.6 is really a big difference. But for some reason, it matter's to the coaches and FO personnel.The difference between the two is breakaway speed -for example TH and WM.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-25-2005, 03:00 PM
:cynic: reread the quote dude..

Well, I did read the quote....several times....
And I know Donahoe didn't come out and say "well there's a good chance that we might make a trade and wind up picking #7 in the first round"...

But it IS within the realm (although remote) of possibility that he might sniff around Minnesota and see if he might get something done....we have things the Vikes need.....you just never know.

Mudflap1
02-25-2005, 03:01 PM
I took it as Donahoe was trying to validate not having a 1st rounder this year by talking about not knowing who the 7th overall pick would be.

Jon

HAMMER
02-25-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't think 4.4 and 4.6 is really a big difference. But for some reason, it matter's to the coaches and FO personnel.

It is a huge difference and Clarett will not run in the 4.4 range.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I took it as Donahoe was trying to validate not having a 1st rounder this year by talking about not knowing who the 7th overall pick would be.

Jon

yeah, that's how I took it too....then I looked at it a different way. Just for ****s and giggles.

mysticsoto
02-25-2005, 03:13 PM

Jon
That is exactly how I read it also. I felt TD was justifying his trade last year and acknowledging that having a 2nd rd pick this year is not such a bad thing and that his move to acquire JP last year was still something he felt was the right thing to do.

jamze132
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
It is a huge difference and Clarett will not run in the 4.4 range.
Yeah it's so big that when you stand at the finish line and they cross, it looks like a big blob running together. There isn't really any seperation in the two runners.

Earthquake Enyart
02-28-2005, 07:28 AM
To me, the speed number speaks to his work ethic. He's had a whole year to do nothing but train for the combine. He still has another chance at his pro day, but that 4.72 isn't going to get him drafted higher than round 5.

I didn't think he was that great a back in college, anyhow.