PDA

View Full Version : To Run and Be Able to Run

ghz in pittsburgh
02-25-2005, 09:27 AM
To me, this will decide their fate next season. Yes you can say all you want about using McGahee and pound the ground game, being able to run successfully is what actually counts. We all heard about the Steelers and Roethlisberger's success last season; do you know the ratio of run vs pass and the yardage piled from the ground? Both at #1. Well over 60% run vs pass ratio. I have no doubt that Mularkey and Co. would love to have that number for the Bills. Many, including the majority Steeler fans believed that it is the single most important factor contributed to Roethlisberger's success in his rookie season (Ben averaged 20 attempts a game, the lowest among all QBs played over 13 games). But the key to me is this: can you imagine if you can live with 20 pass attempts a game if you are getting 3 yards a carry majority of the time?

The Steelers faced 8 men even 9 men fronts and still ran with success (save for NE's 8 men front). I have no doubt that the Bills will face those fronts in the coming September. Teams will dare Losman to beat them.

Let's be honest. Nobody knows whether Losman can do that. Even the much heralded Roethlisberger couldn't when teams take away Steeler's running attack, particular in the playoff (when higher caliber teams were more capable on that). Rather than hoping the first year starter, a pratical rookie Losman to lead the Bills to where they have never been under Donahoe, I have to believe Mularkey is planning what Steelers did last year - run on those 8 men fronts and still be successful most of the time. Hack he got what it tasted like on the opposite side when the Steelers came to the Ralph on Jan. 2!!!

I think we have a group of WRs who are good at blocking. Losman himself, unlike Bledsoe, presents another dimension of running attack. Shelton, MW and CV are also known for their run blocking. Now we just need the rest of the O-Line and some TE who can excel in that department, too.

To this end, completing the left side of O-Line, maybe a dominant center, and a good blocking TE gotta be of high priority this off-season.

I have not mentioned the all important backup RB. To me, Henry as a backup is as good as they come for us except that he wants nothing to do with the Bills now. If Henry goes, then we need a quality backup.

DraftBoy
02-25-2005, 09:31 AM
I agree with you here I also think Losman will be throwing more than Ben too. Willis still isnt 100% and I dont want him to take 35-40 carries every game. I have faith in Losman's arm and our WR and that Josh Reed will come alive as our #3 finally. We'll have to see but if we are at 50-50 40-60, run to pass, Ill be happy.

Kerr
02-25-2005, 09:33 AM
the O-Line and some TE who can excel in that department, too.

To this end, completing the left side of O-Line, maybe a dominant center, and a good blocking TE gotta be of high priority this off-season.

David Bass.

Anthony Becht is good blocker and not a bad red zone weapon.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree with you here I also think Losman will be throwing more than Ben too. Willis still isnt 100% and I dont want him to take 35-40 carries every game. I have faith in Losman's arm and our WR and that Josh Reed will come alive as our #3 finally. We'll have to see but if we are at 50-50 40-60, run to pass, Ill be happy.

I disagree with two parts of the above...

#1---if Willis is still not 100% (or won't be by September) when will he ever be?

#2 Sorry, but Josh Reed is dead as a Bill.

DraftBoy
02-25-2005, 11:37 AM
I disagree with two parts of the above...

#1---if Willis is still not 100% (or won't be by September) when will he ever be?

#2 Sorry, but Josh Reed is dead as a Bill.

Willis wasnt 100% last year by both self admittion and you could see it, he is supposed to be 100% as of TC.

Josh Reed will not be released, Ill bet on that

MadCardDisease
02-25-2005, 11:45 AM
I think we have a group of WRs who are good at blocking. Losman himself, unlike Bledsoe, presents another dimension of running attack. Shelton, MW and CV are also known for their run blocking. Now we just need the rest of the O-Line and some TE who can excel in that department, too.
Shelton is not a good run blocker. His strenght is pass protection.

Kenny
02-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Shelton is not a good run blocker. His strenght is pass protection.
I think he means our FB.

MadCardDisease
02-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I think he means our FB.
:duh:

My bad. Didn't realize there was another Shelton on the team already.

jamze132
02-25-2005, 03:02 PM
I really think it is impossible for us ti mimmick Pittsburgh of last year. Our line sucks balls, as it is right now. Willis won't be able to take the pounding of 30+ carries a game and we have no proven backup who can go in and carry the ball 30+ times if Willis goes down. I don't think that Mularkey is trying to do what Pittsburgh did. It will be similar, but we won't run the ball as often as they did. And I wouldn't be surprised of JP has 5-7 designed rollouts a game. Willis won't need to run the ball that much. He will also be used in a lot more screens which will add to his total touches each game, but he can always elude would be tackles when he doesn't have to run through a wall of lineman.