PDA

View Full Version : Someone posted a thread last week about TKO and Adams begging TD to re-sign Big Pat..

OpIv37
02-25-2005, 10:54 AM
seems to me like they should have been begging Big Pat to make a reasonable offer. I can't believe he's asking for $5m a year when he's not even the best DT on the TEAM, let alone the league. We're not the Patriots- I don't expect him to play for vet minimum, but it would be nice if he'd ask for reasonable money. It's not like he'd starve to death on $2.5m a season with a signing bonus.

Losing him will definitely hurt, but if he wants to make money losing 10 games a year in some craphole like Cleveland or San Fran, he deserves it.

MDolphins2005
02-25-2005, 11:03 AM
If you could get a job for 2.5 million of 5 million which would you take? That is the problem with todays market for players. Chances are there is a team willing to over pay now for the chance to secure a GOOD player.

Players are going to take care of PLAYERS before they think about the team (less money) in most cases. It only makes good sense to get as much as you can from a sport that contracts are not worth the paper the are printed on.

Do not be mad at him....I was not mad a OGUN for asking for the HUGE contract. He played well enough to earn it. EVERY player is one play away from sitting on the beach come super sunday. You would do the same...you may say you would not but the change from 1 million to 3 million is huge. Take out taxes and the thought of taking care of your child's...child...it HUGE.

Italian Stallion
02-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Ogun is different than Fat Pat...He's in his mid 20's while Williams is on the downside of his career (32 i think)...no excuse to expect $5 mil a year at that age and liability level for injury....he'll get out to FA next week and see that offers won't be as high as he hopes...

OpIv37
02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
If you could get a job for 2.5 million of 5 million which would you take? That is the problem with todays market for players. Chances are there is a team willing to over pay now for the chance to secure a GOOD player.

For me, it would honestly depend on the situation. If I could get a $2.5 million job with a company that was on it's way up and had a chance of becoming tops in the industry, versus a $5m job for a company about to go bankrupt where I'd be stressed to all hell and in constant damage control mode, I might take the $2.5m.

I guess I don't understand why players don't put any value on teams they helped build. Buffalo's D SUCKED 3 years ago, and now it's one of the best in the league, thanks partially to Big Pat. I'm wondering why he wouldn't want to take a little less money to finish the job he started. Normal people become attached to things they work to create- athletes never seem to develop that bond.

OpIv37
02-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Also IS made a good point about his age- it's unlikely Pat will finish any contract he signs- he'll either retire or become a cap casualty, and his signing bonus will create dead cap. That will drive his value down from where he thinks it should be.

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
I can't be upset with Pat. He has never won anything, but this will be probably his last/only chance at grabbing the big payday. I don't have a problem with that. I just would hope that he is telling his agent to give Buffalo a call when he gets a concrete offer so that they can have a chance to make a counter. I find it hard to believe that he will get that much money though.

DraftBoy
02-25-2005, 11:42 AM
The only reason im upset is bc he said we'd be receiving a home town discount or so I thought and then he asks for 5 million, anything below 3.5 and I would of done a deal with him. Sad to see him likely walk away.

MadCardDisease
02-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Pat Williams is now the top DT prospect in Free Agency. He has now other competition. He is making the right choice by testing the water. Someone will pay him big bucks and I hope it's the Cardinals.

Dennis Green wants a Big Run Stuffing DT and he said he didn't think he could find one in this years draft. I think big Pat would fit perfectly for what Green is looking for.

jamze132
02-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Well if he wants to take the big money, let him. The Browns are about to release Warren. I know he hasn't lived up to his potential yet, but he's only 26. I think he could fill Pat's shoes. Besides, Edwards and Anderson are waiting for there shot. I really don't think that our defense will suffer if Pat leaves. It's not like he was racking up the tackles and sacks. I know he creates havoc inside, but if one of the other guys can do that for less than 5 mil, why keep him at 32 yrs old?