X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

TD Covering His Arse

It seems as though TD's talk is contrary to his actions.

He has been saying for the last week or so that the front office made every attempt to keep Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo at some capacity but felt the organization needed to go in a different direction at the QB position.

Two Tongue Tom said that the news was not taken well by DB who felt that he wasn't being delt with in a fair manner when it came to the Starters spot and that he felt he was still capable of being a starter in this League.

What made Tom think that Bledsoe would take the demotion when, if anything he had strenthened his position that the lack of early wins had as much to do with the lack of a Run game and functional O-Line as it did his ability to hit open recievers.

The 0-4 start was in the midst of TH not being able to find open holes to run through, the Line not being able to create a pocket for a pocket passer, and a franchise quality WR(Moulds) forgetting how to look the ball into his hands.

If the Front Office really wanted to keep Bledsoe as a starter or backup they should've simply made it clear that the position would be earned by competition, And may the best man win.

In an obvious attempt to cover his ass TD all but forced to veteran out by announcing that Bledsoe was out and could contribute by mentoring a QB that he felt had yet to prove anything in the League.

Given the state of the O-Line at the beginning of last season most observers might expect the offense to struggle with what was at the time the worst O-Line in the League. Couple that with a running back that seems to get off to slow starts every year and a Superstar Reciever with a bad case of the dropsies, Mcnabb would've struggled to put up points.

Maybe Losman will turn out to be the best option at QB this year but if he's not, and doesn't progress like Big Ben, then our options as it stands now are extremely limited and could come down to whatever failure of a FA QB that TD can convince to be a backup in Buffalo.

Either way Fiedler or Mathews cant get this team 4 or 5 wins in a row to make a Playoff run.. at least Bledsoe would have been comfortable with the offense.

TD could've kept Bledsoe as a backup by simply allowing Losman to Earn the position instead of having it drop into his lap- what has losman done to prove he is ready?

This may be more of a risk on TD's part than taking WM in the 1st round.

seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/213515_bledsoe25.html

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • regor
    • Jul 2002

Comment

• Mudflap1
      Next Question!
      • Nov 2004

It seems as though TD's talk is contrary to his actions.

He has been saying for the last week or so that the front office made every attempt to keep Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo at some capacity but felt the organization needed to go in a different direction at the QB position.

Two Tongue Tom said that the news was not taken well by DB who felt that he wasn't being delt with in a fair manner when it came to the Starters spot and that he felt he was still capable of being a starter in this League.

What made Tom think that Bledsoe would take the demotion when, if anything he had strenthened his position that the lack of early wins had as much to do with the lack of a Run game and functional O-Line as it did his ability to hit open recievers.

The 0-4 start was in the midst of TH not being able to find open holes to run through, the Line not being able to create a pocket for a pocket passer, and a franchise quality WR(Moulds) forgetting how to look the ball into his hands.

If the Front Office really wanted to keep Bledsoe as a starter or backup they should've simply made it clear that the position would be earned by competition, And may the best man win.

In an obvious attempt to cover his ass TD all but forced to veteran out by announcing that Bledsoe was out and could contribute by mentoring a QB that he felt had yet to prove anything in the League.

Given the state of the O-Line at the beginning of last season most observers might expect the offense to struggle with what was at the time the worst O-Line in the League. Couple that with a running back that seems to get off to slow starts every year and a Superstar Reciever with a bad case of the dropsies, Mcnabb would've struggled to put up points.

Maybe Losman will turn out to be the best option at QB this year but if he's not, and doesn't progress like Big Ben, then our options as it stands now are extremely limited and could come down to whatever failure of a FA QB that TD can convince to be a backup in Buffalo.

Either way Fiedler or Mathews cant get this team 4 or 5 wins in a row to make a Playoff run.. at least Bledsoe would have been comfortable with the offense.

TD could've kept Bledsoe as a backup by simply allowing Losman to Earn the position instead of having it drop into his lap- what has losman done to prove he is ready?

This may be more of a risk on TD's part than taking WM in the 1st round.
      seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/213515_bledsoe25.html
      Thank you...

Jon

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
        • Jul 2002

It's a huge risk, I agree.

Maybe he was trying to avoid a QB controversy.

I don't know. Looking back, it seems the Bills always seem to take the wrong tact when dealing with players' departures or impending departures. Even before TD.

Comment

• juice
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by billsfanone
          It's a huge risk, I agree.

Maybe he was trying to avoid a QB controversy.

I don't know. Looking back, it seems the Bills always seem to take the wrong tact when dealing with players' departures or impending departures. Even before TD.
          S. Gash
          L. Centers
          R. Brown

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• TedMock
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
            S. Gash
            L. Centers
            R. Brown
            Excellent points. Daimon Shelton was just as effective as Gash, and Centers was part of a completely different style of offense. Centers is better for the pass-catching fullback role, but Gash and Shelton are better smash-mouth guys. As much as I loved Gash, Shelton was the better move for the price. As for Brown, I'm up in the air with that one. He was certainly a better left guard than Lawrence Smith, but he was also nowhere near deserving of half the credit he received. Quite possibley the most overrated player in the league for 3 or 4 straight years.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
              • Jul 2002

S. Gash
              L. Centers
              R. Brown
              Henry Jones
              Steve Christie
              Andre Reed

Off the top of my head.

Comment

• juice
                • Aug 2003

Henry Jones
                Steve Christie
                Andre Reed

Off the top of my head.
                B.Smith
                T. Thomas
                J. Reirsma

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                  • Jul 2002

B.Smith
                  T. Thomas
                  J. Reirsma
                  Yup. I think it's Ralph...

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

I haven't mentioned the Bledsoe release but I have made it clear before that I don't agree with the move. I'd declare an open competition and tell JP to do what he's doing right now, and if he can perform in camp to the same level of Bledsoe, the job is his.

However, I do understand why they release Bledsoe right now. In fact the little bit of Steelers connection told me it's very much a Mularkey call. I have no problem with a coach or coaching staff who want no distraction and dedicate to prepare a kid who they believe will be adequate to win in the coming season.

In retrospect, whenever a coaching staff took over, more often than not, the team must provide players the coach wants. Belichick won with his players like Brady. Jimmy Johnson won with his players as well. Look at Phily, Pittsburgh, that's usually the norm. It's obvious Mularkey has a feel out period last year, from Henry to McGahee, now Bledsoe to Losman. You have to give Mularkey that, even it meant a step backwards.

Comment

• regor
                      • Jul 2002

How are they supposed to handle it? If a player still thinks he can play and the Bills don't wth are they supposed to do? The player is gonna be pissed no matter what.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                        Next Question!
                        • Nov 2004

If the Bills don't make the playoffs, Donahoe won't be back.

Five years, no playoffs?

Jon

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by regor
                          How are they supposed to handle it? If a player still thinks he can play and the Bills don't wth are they supposed to do? The player is gonna be pissed no matter what.
                          Seems though they never handle it the right way.

Comment

• TedMock
                            • Jul 2002

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but sometimes a player's time has passed. It's a cold football world, but it is what it is. Cutting Andre Reed, and Thurman Thomas were not bad moves at all. They both went after the 1999 season. Moulds just had his breakout season with 1300 yards, and was the clear #1 guy at WR. Thurman was a backup the last three season's with a progressively diminishing role that ended with injury. Time to clear the cap and make room for the new guys. Sad but true. Bruce had a 10 sack season the following year in Washington, but that was about it. I think Henry Jones had football left in him, and Steve Christie certainly had a lot left. Most of those moves were the right moves. It's just a matter of taking the emotional side out of the game, and understanding that it is a business.

Comment

• regor
                              • Jul 2002

Seems though they never handle it the right way.

What is the right way?

Comment

Working...
                              X