PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pass-catching TE?

Ickybaluky
02-25-2005, 01:01 PM
How about Jay Riemersma (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=steelersmoves&prov=st&type=lgns)?

Tatonka
02-25-2005, 01:09 PM
pass.. he is used up.

Mr. Miyagi
02-25-2005, 01:14 PM
How about Jay Riemersma (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=steelersmoves&prov=st&type=lgns)?
Never heard of him. :shakeno:

jamze132
02-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah, Jay who?

STAMPY
02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Never heard of him. :shakeno:

he was a former bills TE man

The Natrix
02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
ummmmm, no.

Jan Reimers
02-25-2005, 02:57 PM
With Wesley Walls available?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-25-2005, 03:02 PM
F him. No thanks. He thinks his **** doesn't stink.

Jan Reimers
02-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Let's see. . . Jerry Rice in one thread, Jay Riemersma in this one. Is Has-Been-O-Mania sweeping this board? Oh, yeah, there is a pretty nice old folks home in Orchard Park where they could stay during the season.

MadCardDisease
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
According to the article below, this TE has worked out for both the Cardinals and Bills.

"OSWEGO'S KALLFELZ HOPES TO CATCH ON AS A PRO FOOTBALL TIGHT END

By MAX DELSIGNORE, Intern

OSWEGO - It's tough for NCAA Division I football players to get looks from the NFL. At the Division III level, the chances are even slimmer.

But Oswego native Mike Kallfelz is preparing for an opportunity of a lifetime.

As a 6-foot-5, 260-pound tight end, Kallfelz has performed at a high level in his four years at Division III St. John Fisher College. Because of his talents, professional scouts are meeting with him and working him out to see what he has to offer.

Kallfelz hasn't stuffed the stat sheets with gaudy numbers, but it's what he does without the ball that has attracted scouts.

"Mike's strong interior blocking is his greatest asset," said St. John Fisher Cardinals head coach Paul Vosburgh. "He's effective on the field in many other ways too. He's arguably the best tight end we've had here."

While NFL scouting at the Division III level is sparse, Vosburgh said players still get looks.

Kallfelz said playing and preparing for the next step isn't a burden.

"I've always tried to work my hardest between seasons," Kallfelz said. "But I work hard because I love the game. There's not much pressure, and it's all about having fun."

Kallfelz said the tutelage under Cardinals tight end coach Buddy Sims kept him committed to football. Sims said he knew where he wanted Kallfelz to play after seeing him at Oswego High School.

"I watched him play tackle in high school, and I told him after that he should play tight end at the next level," Sims said. "He had good hands and decent size, and he's gotten better each year."

Sims said he took Kallfelz aside after his junior season and analyzed film from every down that year. Sims said he knew where Kallfelz needed to improve, and he noticed a difference the following season.

Kallfelz caught 13 passes for 151 yards and two touchdowns this season. He also took five kick returns for 52 yards. The Cardinals went 10-2 this year and made it to the NCAA Division III East Regional Semifinals, where they lost to Delaware Valley 26-20.

"Mike had a great year, and he became more of a leader," Sims said. "He never said much, but his teammates noticed that he led by example."

"He (Mike) is always intense on the field," Vosburgh said. "He always wants to make the big hit, never shying away from contact. But he's a mature young man off the field. We'll truly miss him."

Kallfelz said his first meeting with a professional scout came last year. He said he almost didn't make the appointment.

"I had come home and checked my e-mail, and I got a notice saying a scout wanted to check out me and a teammate," Kallfelz said. "The appointment was set for that afternoon. My teammate and I drove out as fast as we could and just made it in time."

Kallfelz said now his preparation is in full swing. He said he wants to improve his speed and flexibility, and run a 4.8 in the 40-yard dash.

Vosburgh said the importance of a tight end is critical to a team's overall success.

"It's great having an extra tackle on the offensive line to block," Vosburgh said. "It's also important when running a play-action offense, where the tight end rolls out for a pass. Good tight ends are hard to find, and Mike's made himself into a solid one."

Kallfelz said he's already met with the Arizona Cardinals and Buffalo Bills. He said the workouts consisted of vertical leap tests, checking height and weight, as well as a written exam. He also said he will be working out with Buffalo again in March.

Joel Melnicoff, Kallfelz's agent, said he's been sending letters to all 32 NFL teams to inform them about his client.

Kallfelz said some teams were sent tapes showing his best highlights. The teams interested included Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, the New York Jets, and New York Giants.

"There's a steep hill to climb at the Division III level," Melnicoff said. "When working for a free-agent contract, you have to make a good impression right away."

Melnicoff, who works on the Syracuse University campus, said he hopes to inform former Syracuse football coach Paul Pasqualoni about Kallfelz.

Pasqualoni was recently hired by the Dallas Cowboys as their tight end coach.

"We're very optimistic at this point," Melnicoff said. "It's a player's dream to get to the NFL. Hopefully, Mike will be able to sign a free-agent deal."

Kallfelz said if he's unable to catch on in the NFL, playing overseas is the next best option.

"I plan on definitely playing in Europe if things don't work out," Kallfelz said. "However, getting my name out to the NFL has given me a good start. If it doesn't work out, I want to continue to get better and hopefully get another chance.""
<!-- / message -->

jamze132
02-25-2005, 03:24 PM
he was a former bills TE man
Yeah, we know... just a little sarcasm

Billsouth
02-25-2005, 08:03 PM
yeah know.... we may be on to something here. remeirsma used to play qb at michigan which is the same school tom brady attended. maybe we should resign him to be jp's back up quarterback

Dozerdog
02-25-2005, 08:32 PM
I'd take Riemersma over Ryan Neufeld any day

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-25-2005, 10:23 PM
No thanks I liked him when he was here but I like Campbell and Euhus better

Michael82
02-26-2005, 09:58 AM
I'd like to see the Bills bring Dave Moore back to be the blocking TE.

Ickybaluky
02-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I'd like to see the Bills bring Dave Moore back to be the blocking TE.

Moore is already being rumored to be signing with Miami once FA starts.

jamze132
02-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Why don't we trade our kicker for Kellen Winslow? I'm sure the Browns would pull the trigger on that in a heart beat. I think Lindel kicked like 2 fieldgoals in the Cleveland slaughter!

Michael82
02-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Moore is already being rumored to be signing with Miami once FA starts.
Damn. :mad:

Tatonka
02-26-2005, 11:15 AM
dave moore? your kidding right?

campbell is every bit the blocker that moore is.. and young.

and if we really need blockers.. hell.. we put sam adams in there.