PDA

View Full Version : You can't have it both ways...

Jeff1220
02-25-2005, 04:11 PM
RW, TD, and MM seem to be getting ripped here for how they dealt with the release of Bledsoe. I don't get it. In another thread you guys are ripping them for not keeping Drew and making him compete for the job. I don't get it. There is a screaming paradox here.
I'm sure the Bills wanted JP for next year, but had they told Drew he could "compete" for the starting job, do you really think he would oblige. He would obviously take just as much offense to that request as with the one to be back-up. If he miraculously did stick around to compete for the job, and didn't win it, how would that have affected the team? If they released him late in TC, after losing the job, how would that affect Drew's employment possibilities?
Drew didn't like the fact that he was being released (and I'm sure it sux as a 12 year starter to start seeing this sort of writing on the wall), but he also said that the Bills handled the release in the most professional and courteous manner possible. They informed him first, then informed the media early to get his name out there to teams that might be interested. Drew was officially unemployed for about a day before signing another multimillion dollar deal - as a starter. They put him in the best possible position for his circumstances. I don't see how that is bad. Keeping Drew to compete would've just been setting him up to lose, since the Bills appearantly know which direction they want to go, and be a back-up or a cut late in FA when few dollars or jobs are available - that would've been classless. The FO handled this just fine.
Sometimes I think some of you guys just complain to see yourselves type.

kevinj22
02-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Not only would keeping Drew here not help the team in the long run, but think about how many snaps he would take away from JP's progression. I think that this is the most proficient way of getting the most out of JP. Let him know right away that he is the man, so that coming in to camp there is no looking over the shoulder if he makes a mistake. He will be fine. If any of you think that Drew was taking us to the promise land "YOU ARE CRAZY", keep an eye on him in Dallas and you'll soon agree.

THATHURMANATOR
02-25-2005, 04:30 PM
This move had to be made.

Iehoshua
02-25-2005, 04:31 PM
They wanted to keep Drew as a backup. The decision was made to make Losman the starter. Period.

The two schools of thought are the above and the always fraudulent 'open competition' spiel (ala last year's Ramsey-Brunell fiasco where it was supposedly an open competition.. please...) This thinking says we should have fed this to Drew so he'd have stayed, kept him here and ended up starting JP in the end. In this scenario, we do arguably have a more solid QB depth chart, however, you also have a young QB who, after every misque, will feel the pressure of being benched as opposed to being able to work through the growing pains, as I personally believe any young QB is entitled to do.

I have never complained about their decision to outright cut Drew. I, too, believe the Front Office made the absolute right call. I'm happy they didn't go with the outright lies that Joe "NASCAR! WEEE!!" Gibbs went with last year in DC. The decision is made so there is no controversy.