Pats close to 6-year extension with Tom Brady...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Pats close to 6-year extension with Tom Brady...

... for those interested:

Link

Link

With the $9.8M the Pats saved by cutting Law and the money they will save on Brady's deal (his cap number is currently over $10M), they will be awash in cap room. I wonder what they plan on doing?
  • clumping platelets

Use some of it to take care of Seymour

Sign a FA CB

Add a veteran OL

Sign one of the RFAs (Givens?) to a long-term deal instead of giving them a tender

Just a few possibilities

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Why do anything but draft? They have won 3 of the last 4 superbowls. I pick up a veteran CB, Replace Bruschi and draft for depth. Why spend it when you don't have to?

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

They were $8 million OVER the cap, they saved about $9.8 million from Law's release. That makes them about $2 million under? How much can they make by signing Brady to an extension? $5 million? $6 million?

That's about $8 million under the cap. I don't see how you can call it awash.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

I hope they suck!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
              They were $8 million OVER the cap, they saved about $9.8 million from Law's release. That makes them about $2 million under? How much can they make by signing Brady to an extension? $5 million? $6 million?

That's about $8 million under the cap. I don't see how you can call it awash.
              They were about $2M over the cap. With tenders and the like they probably would be at $6M-$7M over. Law saves them $9.8M, which puts them about $3M+ under, after tendering all the players they want to keep.

Brady's cap number is in excess of $10M, which means they save another $3M-$5M depending on how they structure the deal.

Troy Brown, Willie McGinest, Roman Phifer and several other veterans have balloon years that will need to be restructured or the player will be cut. Brown alone would save the Pats $5M if cut. The Pats are likely to re-work the contracts of all these players, as they basically do so every year.

This year is the high water mark of the Pats cap. They will have more cap room this season than they have ever had since Belichick took over. That said, it is likely they use a lot of it to lock up key young players for the long-term. With Brady signed, it is likely that guys like Richard Seymour, David Givens, Deion Branch, Jarvis Green, Stephen Neal, Eugene Wilson, Tom Ashworth and Brandon Gorin are approached about contract extensions. Those are the guys who are free agency eligible in the next couple years.

It will be interesting to see what the Pats do with their cap room. They will have more cap room then they are used to, but they also have a bunch of young players to approach about contracts. The only starters who are currently free agents are Joe Andruzzi and Patrick Pass. Both are replaceable.

Comment

• clumping platelets

How many of the RFAs are getting the 1st rd tenders?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                  How many of the RFAs are getting the 1st rd tenders?
                  Good question. Givens seems certain to get a 1st round offer.

My guess is Stephen Neal gets a 1st round tender, because they really like him and would receive no compensation in return if he signed an offer they didn't want to match.

Jarvis Green would require a 4th round pick as compensation, but might attract interest at a low tender. He is a very underrated player, and with more teams going 3-4 he could get an offer. I'll guess 1st-round tender for him, but won't be surprised if he gets a low tender.

I think Tom Ashworth and Brandon Gorin get low tenders, both guys play RT. Ashworth wouldn't require any compensation to sign, but he is coming off injury. Gorin probably isn't a starter long-term and would require a 7th round pick as compensation. Ashworth could get it, but I'll say they go low-tender with both guys.

Comment

• clumping platelets

I would love to see Jarvis Green here in B-LO.....go ahead, give him the low tender. I'd be happy to give y'all our 4th rd pick for him

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

I don't care what happens as long as it is bad for them. They've won enough to earn them at least a decade of bad years. The sooner that starts the better.

Comment

• BAM
                        • Sep 2003

I don't understand why this is still listed in the Buffalo Bills Zone.

Comment

• AndreReed83
                          Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                          • Mar 2004

GREAT! Six MORE Super Bowl victorys for Brady. By then, they're going to rename the Lombardi Trophy after him.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                          "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• kwharter
                            • Feb 2004

Wow I am so excited about the extension. I think now I will go throw a party and invite my whole city. Hmm maybe yet I will invite my whole state. I live in Texas so it should be a big party. Yea I am so excited, way to go. Now I think I will put this news right up there with us landing on the moon.

Comment

Working...
                            X