PDA

View Full Version : Tony Banks-It's come to my attention

Kerr
02-26-2005, 05:41 PM
that Tony Banks is available. It's obvious our options for a backup qb aren't very good. TD and co. want a veteran. They don't want a qb with only one game as starting experience, they don't want a statue, and they don't want a pricey backup. My first choice when FA started was Jeff Garcia. He's either going to be a Lion or Buc by the start of next season. Kelly Holcomb will remain a Brown. Mike Mcmahon has only started one game in his career. Jay Fiedler would have been ideal, but I just noticed, as it was pointed out by a fin fan, that he really does make too many mistakes, even with a good back like Ricky Williams when he was still in the league. It never seemed like it considering he was near perfect when he played us as a starter. Therefore, I divert my attention to Tony Banks. If you recall, he finished for the texans when they beat us in '03. He wasn't too bad taking over for Carr. In '99 he was with the Ravens and started 10 games. He threw 17 TDs and 8 picks in a power running offense. Sound familiar? Oh yeah, sure kordell stewart could do it? Well Kordell always found a way to really blow his opportunities in the end. I think this is why Mularkey and co. didn't think he was servicable, even as a backup. It also seems, based on this article from last season, that he doesn't mind being a backup and a mentor.

Backup QB Tony Banks wants to be a starter but kind of liked the role he was in last year as a mentor and could stick around in what is not a bad situation.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/pfw/afcsouth2003.html

He's also pretty mobile and his arm strengh is pretty good. I say if Matthews doesn't want to come back, they should consider signing this guy to backup Losman. Realize that he's not a really good starter, but he could probably come in for a few games do pretty well.

OpIv37
02-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm not thrilled with Banks but I'd take him over Kordell Stewart, Kurt Warner and a lot of the other jokers whose names have been tossed around.

Crisis
02-26-2005, 06:26 PM
We're giving up on Brees so fast?

OpIv37
02-26-2005, 06:41 PM

were we ever considering Brees? He's $$$ and wants to start.

ShadowHawk7
02-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Blake or Banks would be ideal backups. Lets get one of them. :pray:

YardRat
02-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Was Banks benched in favor of Trent Dilfer in Baltimore, or did he lose his job due to injury? I can't remember.

The_Philster
02-26-2005, 08:07 PM
benched (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=3)

Kerr
02-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Was Banks benched in favor of Trent Dilfer in Baltimore, or did he lose his job due to injury? I can't remember.
Benched. He's not a very good long stretch starter. Like I said, there's really nothing all that special about any of the available backups we have a shot of getting.

Dozerdog
02-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Tony Bank's last good game was against Buffalo- when he erased a 17 point 4th quarter Buffalo lead in 1998.

Kerr
02-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Tony Bank's last good game was against Buffalo- when he erased a 17 point 4th quarter Buffalo lead in 1998.
I remember that game. One of rj's best games as a bill also. It was bombs away.

Banks also had a decent game against us in '03 filling in for Carr after he got injured.

Philagape
02-26-2005, 09:49 PM

I gave up on Brees around the same time as I gave up on Peyton Manning.

Dozerdog
02-26-2005, 09:51 PM
I remember that game. One of rj's best games as a bill also. It was bombs away.

Banks also had a decent game against us in '03 filling in for Carr after he got injured.
He just didn't have to suck in that game. We were awful.

Banks had one other game that I remember- in 2000 for Baltimore. it was the 2nd or 3rd game of the year, vs a very powerful Titan's squad. The game ended with a Raven 38-35 win (OT I think) with Banks tossing 5 TDs.

I remember it because everyone in my FFL went out and grabbed every Raven under the sun-........then they went something like a whole month after that without an offensive TD. Banks got yanked for Dilfer- and they ran it all the away to the Super Bowl.

Kerr
02-26-2005, 09:57 PM
He just didn't have to suck in that game. We were awful.

Banks had one other game that I remember- in 2000 for Baltimore. it was the 2nd or 3rd game of the year, vs a very powerful Titan's squad. The game ended with a Raven 38-35 win (OT I think) with Banks tossing 5 TDs.

I remember it because everyone in my FFL went out and grabbed every Raven under the sun-........then they went something like a whole month after that without an offensive TD. Banks got yanked for Dilfer- and they ran it all the away to the Super Bowl.
Yeah, banks is a backup in the league. By no means is he a full time starter.

Jayhawk
02-27-2005, 06:12 AM
I'd rather have RJ back than this yahoo.

Newbomb Turk
02-27-2005, 06:18 AM
Anyone but Banks.

Jan Reimers
02-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I remember that he beat us on their last drive - I think he ran it in.

I ripped up a perfectly good Bills shirt, threw a nice Bills cap in a trash can, and kicked a guard rail so hard I raised a 4 year welt on my shin, all in the parking lot leaving the game.

But I'm better now.

Banks is an athletic guy who really might not be a bad backup in a system that features an athletic starter.

The_Philster
02-27-2005, 07:29 AM

helmetguy remembers that game...it's the game he wanted to call BRUCE a wussy afterwards :snicker: