PDA

View Full Version : Poor offense for the month of November? Blame the defense....

Dozerdog
12-04-2002, 06:57 AM
Pro Football Weekly has a very interesting observation on the Bill's offensive woes last month....

Pro Football Weekly (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/default.htm) If you look at the statistics, the Bills’ recent three-game skid makes little sense. Immediately prior to Week 13, WRs Eric Moulds and Peerless Price had posted numbers significantly lower than in their hot starts to the season, but they were not shut out. We hear the problem stems directly from the inability of the Bills’ defense to create turnovers. Of the Bills’ 34 TD-scoring drives through Week 13, 29 have been 56 yards or longer, hard proof that the defense has put the offense in dire straits most of the year. More evidence? The Bills have 14 takeaways on the year, but 12 of them have come in three games (three vs. Minnesota in Week Two and nine in the two Miami games). The Bills had hoped the return of CB Antoine Winfield from a knee injury in Week 11 would spark an influx of takeaways, but that hasn’t happened thus far. Nate Clements leads the team with four interceptions. Given the added chances vs. the Dolphins Sunday, Buffalo’s offense was able to convert all three turnovers into touchdowns to put Miami away.

WG
12-04-2002, 07:22 AM
That may be part of it, but no one is gonna deny that we haven't used our talent, aka Henry, properly and that we could have done better to move the ball downfield and perhaps put the other team in a field-position hole.

Also, consider that we seem to be happy starting opponents off on their own 38 after KOs for one reason or another. Poor coverage, short kicks for fear of returns, inability to kick deeper, good runbacks, etc. Heck, even if teams don't gain a yard, a 40-yard punt w/o a return still puts us at our own 22.

It's a conglomerate of things the least of which is not our own O for not having been able to move the ball well against Ds that we should have pushed all over the field.

Don't forget, many of the guys who write these pieces don't watch all the games by any stretch. Interesting info however.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2002, 08:03 AM
you're right,Wys.that article doesn't give the WHOLE analysis.the defense came out flat in the JETS game and they were horrible in the PATS game.they played well in the CHIEFS game but we know what happened there.the playcalling was horrible and Gee Dubya looked like a Little League coach at times.we all know that special teams have been our achilles heel all year so i won't get into that too much.
it's important that our defense creates a few turnovers to help the offense.the numbers that Dozer posted wasn't a pretty sight.the big plays that they give up doesn't help either.

TacklingDummy
12-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Bottom Line is: The Defense is more to blame then the offense is.

The Bills Defense against the run is the worst in the NFL(142.6) and giving up 28.2 points per game doesn't help the offense.

TacklingDummy
12-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
they played well in the CHIEFS game but we know what happened there.

Our Offense held the ball for most of the game keeping our D off the field. If the Bills O went 3 and out most of the time, the Chiefs would have blown us out.

colin
12-04-2002, 11:45 AM
We don't actually need the turnovers to win, although it helps. Just stopping the opposition before they enter our side of the field and getting them to punt with a short drive is good enough for our team.

I think Gilbride has improved his play calling, just a little more running than what we were doing before, especially in the Red Zone, and we are awesome.

Ebenezer
12-04-2002, 11:57 AM
ask CP, for about 5 years I've been griping that this is the problem...shorten the field. the stats will be lower but the score will be higher. Notice that RJ had great passing yards despite all the other crap...you can not sustain wins in this league if you constantly have to go 65-85 yards for a TD.

Cliff Klaven
12-04-2002, 12:03 PM
You know, the concept of shortening the field was started by Julius Cesear. It was long lost until Bill Parcells revived it just before Super Bowl XXV.

Judge
12-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Simple:

PFW gets it on this point. Wys doesn't!

Judge
12-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Notice that RJ had great passing yards despite all the other crap.

He did? When? Please cite your examples, Mr. Education.

Did he ever have a 300-yard passing day as a Bill? His yards per pass attempt was hardly impressive, too.

Judge
12-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Judge

He did? When? Please cite your examples, Mr. Education.

Did he ever have a 300-yard passing day as a Bill? His yards per pass attempt was hardly impressive, too.

I'll answer my own questions:

source- football-reference.com

Number of 300-yard games in his career: TWO (2000 vs. San Diego, 2001 vs. San Diego). QB individual Passing yards doesn't take into account the lost yards from sacks, either, does it?

In his 2 years as undisputed Bills starter, RJ averaged 6.9 and 6.8 yards per pass attempt.

So, how is it that he had good passing yardage?

lordofgun
12-04-2002, 01:04 PM

I'll answer my own questions:

source- football-reference.com

Number of 300-yard games in his career: TWO (2000 vs. San Diego, 2001 vs. San Diego). QB individual Passing yards doesn't take into account the lost yards from sacks, either, does it?

Coincidentally, those are the only 2 games where RJ actually played the entire game. :D

Ebenezer
12-04-2002, 01:20 PM
Pardon me for using RJ...I should have said the Bills in general...for a team that went 3-13 and was the 29th best team in the league last year the offensive stats look like this:

2001 record 3-13 RJ starts 6 games
Bills passing 2001: 215 yards per game league rank:12
Bills offense 2001: 321 yards per game league rank: 13
Bills points per game 2001: 16.6 league rank 27

2000 record 6-10 RJ starts 12 games
Bills offense 2000: 343 yards per game league rank: 9
Bills passing 2000: 246 yards per game league rank: 9
Bills points 2000 19.7 league rank: 20

so, let's see...top 10 in yardage in 2000 yet only 20th in scoring...top half in yardage in 2001 yet almost last in scoring???

yes, it could mean that the red zone was a disaster. it could also mean that the drive starts sucked...it probably is a combination of both.

That being said. I think I made my point that the offense was able to move the ball but not able to score points and win...

Mr. Education strikes again...now go chase an ambulance.

TacklingDummy
12-04-2002, 01:24 PM
A RJ conversation without me?:deadhorse

Back to the original point. Yes the defense is to blame for almost everything. And the king of the defense should take the fall with it. BYE BYE Gregg.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2002, 02:04 PM
Simple:

PFW gets it on this point. Wys doesn't!

:lolcry:

Ebenezer
12-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Turnovers are not the only way to shorten the field. A good punt or kick return now and then would do the trick also. Don't forget how bad the return game was in Wade's last season with the Bills.