PDA

View Full Version : maurice clarett as a fullback?

nuklz2594
02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
it is pretty obvious that maurice is not fast. if he lasts past the fifth round let's say, do you take a chance on him? he is young and is over 230lbs. he can bulk up to 240 at least. does he have the chutpah to block and be another sam gash?

nuklz2594
02-27-2005, 07:01 PM
meant to type chutzpah

ddaryl
02-27-2005, 07:07 PM
How's his blocking skills, and how will they be against a level of competition he has never witnessed ?

Tatonka
02-27-2005, 07:46 PM
clarrett is a good blocker and in his interview he said that he prided himself on his blocking and technique.. not a bad idea.

DraftBoy
02-27-2005, 08:06 PM
clarrett is a good blocker and in his interview he said that he prided himself on his blocking and technique.. not a bad idea.

Possible Adrian Petersen type back. AP went to Ga. South was their FB and got all the carries is an almost identical back to Clarett size and speed wise. Vernon Haynes type in the NFL.

AndreReed83
02-27-2005, 08:46 PM
What about the guy we got now? Shelton. I remember numerous people, fans, and writers saying he was having a Pro Bowl season. No need to get Clarett to play FB.

McBFLO
02-28-2005, 12:17 AM
What about the guy we got now? Shelton. I remember numerous people, fans, and writers saying he was having a Pro Bowl season. No need to get Clarett to play FB.

I dont think you should look at it that way. Look at it from this point of view...Clarrett or Joe Burns? I'll take Clarrett any day of the week over Joe Burns.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-28-2005, 01:22 AM
I believe if Buffalo drafted Clarrett to be a FB, he will not sign.. In his mind he is a HB and he probably wouldnt want a backup roll, especially at FB.. Somebody will draft him and hopefully it wont be Buffalo..

YardRat
02-28-2005, 05:12 AM
I'd stay away from him completely. Don't think he'd be happy being used strictly as a fullback, getting one-two carries per year.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2005, 06:46 AM
I'd stay away from him completely. Don't think he'd be happy being used strictly as a fullback, getting one-two carries per year.
I agree. I think he has that "I'm a star running back" mentality and wouldn't be happy with a blue collar FB role. Besides, we have a good FB in Shelton, and a young, developing guy in Luke Lawton.

I'm not convinced that Clarett still wouldn't be a good backup RB, however, if he drops to the late rounds. Sometimes track speed is different from football speed, and sometimes workout warriors are not productive football players.

helmetguy
02-28-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm just not sold on Clarett, period. The guy missed how many games in his ONLY year of college ball? With all his baggage, why invite the distractions that invariably accompny a guy like him? I'm sure there's at least a few backs out there who may not be quite as good, but can contribute as much as he would, and be had without the attendant baggage. I don't buy the sudden ephiphany he's claiming, either. Didn't Lawrence Phillips have a couple of those?

DraftBoy
02-28-2005, 08:26 AM

In no way was anybody suggestioning he would be your typical fullback, he would be more of an Alstott type back who gets 5-15 carries a game as a bruiser to try and wear down defenses plus gets in nearly every play. This way we could still run a ton and not put every carry on Willis.

McBFLO
02-28-2005, 09:17 AM
In no way was anybody suggestioning he would be your typical fullback, he would be more of an Alstott type back who gets 5-15 carries a game as a bruiser to try and wear down defenses plus gets in nearly every play. This way we could still run a ton and not put every carry on Willis.

I like this point a lot.

Devin
02-28-2005, 09:23 AM
I think given his combine performance he will feel lucky just to be drfated/signed.

dannyek71
02-28-2005, 11:47 AM
clarett = lawerence phillips

jamze132
02-28-2005, 11:51 AM
I think a lot of people think that Clarrett is like a godsend. He's not as good as a lot of people think. Is he better than Joe Burns? Who knows? If Matt Leinhart was in the same situation as Clarrett was a couple of years ago, the University would have figured out a way to keep him. Let Clarrett go undrafted and see what he does during training camp with some team, just not ours.

Ebenezer
02-28-2005, 11:54 AM
I think given his combine performance he will feel lucky just to be drfated/signed.

he will be a FA walk on.

clarett = lawerence phillips

that's giving clarett too much credit.

YardRat
02-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Do you really think that Mike Mularkey will want to take the ball out of McGahee's hands 5-15 times per game and give it too someone else, though?

DraftBoy
02-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Do you really think that Mike Mularkey will want to take the ball out of McGahee's hands 5-15 times per game and give it too someone else, though?

Can you give me a reason why he wouldnt want to? My reason is to try and save Willis for the longer haul on the season and the playoffs.

YardRat
02-28-2005, 08:15 PM
My only reason would be this...rb's that are thoroughbreds usually make their hay in carries 20 and up, once they get in the groove. Anything after twenty is when McGahee has the possibility of breaking the long one IMO.

Taking carries away from your featured back could take away some of his effectiveness.

DaBills
02-28-2005, 11:07 PM
I can't believe we're talking about bringing in a FB. Not high on our list of needs. You want blocking, build the O-line first. That'll open more holes. Let MM get 'creative' since he's such a creative genius and put Big Pat in there on 3rd and short. He'll open things up.

We're about to have WM for a full season for the first time. Let's see what he can do before we start even thinking about bringing in someone to challenge for carries. It's like christmas where kids go on to the next gift before they even finish opening the first one.

Relax. Don't worry. WM gets 1,700+ and the rushing title this year while Alexander the Great in Seattle is on the outside looking in — again.

:funny:

mysticsoto
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
I can't believe we're talking about bringing in a FB. Not high on our list of needs. You want blocking, build the O-line first. That'll open more holes. Let MM get 'creative' since he's such a creative genius and put Big Pat in there on 3rd and short. He'll open things up.

We're about to have WM for a full season for the first time. Let's see what he can do before we start even thinking about bringing in someone to challenge for carries. It's like christmas where kids go on to the next gift before they even finish opening the first one.

Relax. Don't worry. WM gets 1,700+ and the rushing title this year while Alexander the Great in Seattle is on the outside looking in — again.

:funny:
Exactly! We seem to have forgotten about our O-line struggling for most of the year and now are concerning ourselves with trivialities...a FB? Shelton did fine for us last year. Have people forgotten that WM gave him a ball to thank him for his fantastic blocking when he went into the endzone early in the season? We also have Luke Lawton who revels in contact and punishing people! He's going to be a solid backup to Shelton. Maurice can go sue someone - we have no need of him. Pending what happens in FA these next couple of weeks we do have plenty of need for O-linemen, 3rd WR, backup QB, backup LB, backup DT, and more backup OL. If there's anything left over after all that, a K to challenge Lindell would not be bad either.