PDA

View Full Version : Bucs offer contract to QB Garcia

Gunzlingr
02-28-2005, 08:32 AM
INDIANAPOLIS - It has been the debate early in the offseason. Griese or Garcia?

The Bucs' solution is to make room for both.

One day after reaching an agreement with Brian Griese on a five-year, $32-million contract, the Bucs were trying Sunday to sign free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia.

The team also informed Brad Johnson, who led the Bucs to a Super Bowl XXXVII victory, that he will be released before Tuesday.

Garcia, 35, took a physical for the Bucs and met with coach Jon Gruden Saturday night.

Tampa Bay has offered Garcia a contract and he's strongly considering accepting despite interest from the Lions and several other teams. A year ago, Garcia came close to signing with the Bucs before taking a four-year, $25-million with Cleveland.

"Jeff is strongly considering Tampa Bay," agent Steve Baker said. "He met with Coach Gruden knowing that they had reached a deal with Brian Griese. I'd say there's a 50 percent chance he goes there."

Garcia's interest was peaked after his meeting with the charismatic Gruden, whom he believes can make him a better quarterback.

"That's still a possibility," Bucs general manager Bruce Allen said of signing Garcia. "We're going to have another veteran quarterback. The system with Jon is very attractive to a lot of players."

If the Bucs are unable to sign Garcia, they are expected to offer a contract to Dolphins free agent Jay Fiedler, 33.

That would seem to push third-year pro Chris Simms further down the depth chart as the least experienced quarterback on the roster.

LINK (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Bucs/Bucs_offer_contract_t.shtml)

Tatonka
02-28-2005, 09:44 AM
man.. with the contract that they just gave griese.. you would think garcia would consider coming to buffalo first where at least he is behind a young guy that could play bad and get pulled, or possibly hurt (knock on wood)..

Iehoshua
02-28-2005, 09:56 AM
man.. with the contract that they just gave griese.. you would think garcia would consider coming to buffalo first where at least he is behind a young guy that could play bad and get pulled, or possibly hurt (knock on wood)..
Yeah but have the Bills shown any interest?..

ryjam282
02-28-2005, 10:00 AM
I haven't read anything about them even contacting him. Who knows though, maybe this news will light a fire under TD's butt and get him in contact with him.

Philagape
02-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Why would they dump one old, overpriced QB and sign another, especially with Griese and Simms under contract? How can they afford all of them?

Kerr
02-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I wonder if Green Bay has also called Garcia just in case Favre retires. Detroit or Tampa Bay seem so obvious.
Doesn't our offense hold some elements of the WCO?He's most effective on roll outs. I wonder if TD has contacted him. I would take him before anyone else.

DraftBoy
02-28-2005, 11:08 AM
If TB signs Garcia too, and then Rice they would be the new geratric team of the NFL. Also does this mean its the end of the road for Chris Simms in TB. I thought this year he'd get his shot, but i appears Gruden had no faith in the kid.

McClane
02-28-2005, 11:26 AM
With the pusuit of Garcia, the Bucs are signaling that they aren't ready to hand over the reigns to third-year quarterback Chris Simms.

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2001757