PDA

View Full Version : Pat Williams Will Walk

ghz in pittsburgh
02-28-2005, 11:44 AM
For Pat, this is his last chance for a big contract - being close to Ted Washington will only enforce that notion. For the Bills, TD wants youth and some fiscal control. Clearly they don't mesh together very well dispite the rhetoric love words ("I want back", "I want him back").

The key here is TD and the Bills. Donahoe's history is that he never gives big contracts to over the 30 guys, not in Pittsburgh (even for mistakes like Woodson), and not in Buffalo (Vincent only gets a contract in the $3 million range and TD told him he's another Woodson). And the Bills actually prepared for this by drafting Anderson and giving Edwards a one year extension last year.

Let's see, TD drafted Henry and that spelled doom for A. Smith. He drafted Reed which spelled the end for Peerless. He drafted McGahee and look where Henry is today. Losman in, Bledsoe out. The trend continues.

Anderson will be given the opportunity to beat out Edwards this summer. I do believe, however, Edwards should be the leading candidate to replace Williams.

Personally I'm not so sure about the tendon of Adams and Williams being as good as we say they were. When we face quality teams who can run, they run on us (Patriots, Begals, Steelers). To me, both Adams and Williams are slashing type of tackle, not the stay-at-home-controling-gap type of guy aka Washington. When Washington was here, Williams was a very good compliment for providing backfield plays. We saw the last two years that Adams is actually a better player at that. We really need some guy who's willing to do the dirty work alongside Adams. Williams did reasonable well. But watching him turned around by Fenaca and his backup on a regular basis on Jan 2 make me wonder if we can find a better option.

Truthfully, Ron Edwards is another penetrating type like Pat Williams, only faster but less stout, and most alarmingly, less consistent. Maybe it's time for us to get a look at what Anderson can do. From my understanding, he's exactly the type that we need - staying at home, controlling the run. But can he do that at the NFL level?

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2005, 11:48 AM
I think Big Pat should take a look at where Big Ted is today, and reconsider his demand. :mad:

Tatonka
02-28-2005, 11:49 AM
great great post.

Tatonka
02-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I think Big Pat should take a look at where Big Ted is today, and reconsider his demand. :mad:

you mean the big ted that won a superbowl 2 years ago?

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2005, 11:50 AM
you mean the big ted that won a superbowl 2 years ago?
I said TODAY :mad:

Tatonka
02-28-2005, 11:52 AM
i think big ted got everything he wanted out of his career.. ted made the right move leaving buffalo.. he got a big deal from oakland then got his superbowl w/ ne..

that is like saying.. look where larence taylor is today.. :mad:

R. Rich
02-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Where is he TODAY?

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Actually he got his SB in NE before he went to Oakland, where he was part of one of the worst defenses in the league last year.

Tatonka
02-28-2005, 11:58 AM
either way.. he got paid his big contract.. he got his ring.. he got his probowls and recognition.. i think pat would be happy to be sitting exactly where big ted is today.

jamze132
02-28-2005, 11:59 AM
I would rather have Adams and Edwards in there anyways. Both can get to the QB, unlike Williams.

don137
02-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Big Ted is better off today and tomorrow (financially) then if he stayed in Buffalo. The Bills have not made the playoffs since he left.

I don't think Pat will resign for Buffalo if he is asking such a steep price. I also think TD needs to find out where he is left in the salary cap if/when Henry is traded. Hopefully, the OL will be addressed as part of the trade. He doesn't want to commit money to Pat until he addresses the OL first.

ICE74129
02-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Long story short, Their agent is one of the biggest aholes in the biz. He seems to be pissed at everyone and everyone is trying to screw him and his DT's.

He is Williams, Washington and Adams agent. They all have this clown. He screwed Ted Washington. He tried to screw TD and TD said see ya! Then Ted tried to reconcile the situation and TD said no thanks.

Sam adams got a 1.5 mill sb and a 10+ mill 4 year deal. This was at 30 years old. If someone wants to kill their cap by meeting anywhere near Williams demands then more power to them.

Ickybaluky
02-28-2005, 12:30 PM
The thing that works in Williams favor is that there are a bunch of teams with a lot of cap room this year. There are about a dozen teams with over $10M in cap room. That makes it more likely that one will overpay to fill a need.

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Big Pat can go to Minnesota if he wants to get paid big. They have tons of cap and need defense in a big way.

EDS
02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Just for the record, Ted Washington did not get a huge deal after leaving Buffalo. He signed with the Bears for a lot less then anticipated, was cut, signed with NE, and then resurfaced with the Raiders last year.

Ickybaluky
02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Just for the record, Ted Washington did not get a huge deal after leaving Buffalo. He signed with the Bears for a lot less then anticipated, was cut, signed with NE, and then resurfaced with the Raiders last year.

Ted wasn't cut, the Patriots traded a 4th-round draft pick for him. He was in the last year of a 3-year contract with the Bears. In his first season of that deal, he helped the Bears make the playoffs. In the 2nd year, he broke his leg. The next season they traded him to NE.

I think Washington was cut by the Bills because of his cap number. He then signed with Chicago.

shotgun
02-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Where is he TODAY?

let's see oh yeah sign a small deal with chi played for 3 year after buffalo then oh yeah was traded to the pats and won the superbowl.. and last year was with the raiders.... makeing big bucks...

how much more would he want ...