PDA

View Full Version : ESPN on tweeners, Donahoe mentioned

G. Host
02-28-2005, 04:23 PM
It isn't happenstance that 20 players at the combine are auditioning for league scouts at two different positions. Or that 18 of the 20 are either ends or linebackers who will work out at both defensive spots.

For years, when he was the Steelers' director of football operations, Buffalo Bills general manager Tom Donahoe analyzed undersized defensive ends by projecting how they might play as outside linebackers in Pittsburgh's 3-4 front. His uncanny ability to identify such hybrid players produced a string of Pro Bowl performers such as Greg Lloyd, Jason Gildon and Joey Porter.

"Clearly, with so many more teams playing the 3-4 now, it puts a bigger premium on those types of players," Donahoe acknowledged. "It upgrades good players who, maybe because of size or speed issues, couldn't really be pigeonholed into one [position]. I think you can see here [at the combine] that some of that is going on."

Prospects who have the ability to make an impact as combination defenders not only are embracing the concept of contributing at two spots but also are being embraced by the franchises anxious to fill the dual roles. more (ESPN) (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2001800)

I know Len and Donahoe are friends but maybe the defense coaching staff ought to be looking at more 3-4 formations where Donahoe's ability to pick out LBs can help. I dislke the fact that all of our starting LBs are not draftees and we have to invest so much money into position rather than using draft picks as Bills used to be able to.

casdhf
02-28-2005, 05:39 PM
[b]I dislke the fact that all of our starting LBs are not draftees and we have to invest so much money into position rather than using draft picks as Bills used to be able to.

What's to dislike? Spikes and Fletcher are pro-bowlers and Posey has been solid and we didnt have to give up anything to get any of them other than money....letting us use draft picks to fill other holes.

Marvelous
02-28-2005, 10:26 PM
What's to dislike? Spikes and Fletcher are pro-bowlers and Posey has been solid and we didnt have to give up anything to get any of them other than money....letting us use draft picks to fill other holes.
Ghost has a good point that because we didn't draft our LBs we payed more then a rookie contract. We get more . it's a give give scenerio.
Agreed we need to get better in the draft. TD need to get picks not trade them away...

justasportsfan
02-28-2005, 10:34 PM
I know Len and Donahoe are friends but maybe the defense coaching staff ought to be looking at more 3-4 formations where Donahoe's ability to pick out LBs can help. I dislke the fact that all of our starting LBs are not draftees and we have to invest so much money into position rather than using draft picks as Bills used to be able to.why fix what isn't broken? I think were arguably a stud DE away from being the no.1 D last year.

Charlieguide
02-28-2005, 11:26 PM
why fix what isn't broken? I think were arguably a stud DE away from being the no.1 D last year.

If Ron Edwards/Tim Anderson step up, or Big Pat stays put.

G. Host
03-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Ghost has a good point that because we didn't draft our LBs we payed more then a rookie contract. We get more . it's a give give scenerio.
Agreed we need to get better in the draft. TD need to get picks not trade them away...

Yes that is what I am thinking. Posey is an ok player but is not so good player that he should not be irreplaceable by a draftee. Perhaps it is the scouting department but I think the Bills depend too much on free agents.

Earthquake Enyart
03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Let Pat walk and go to a 3-4??????

G. Host
03-01-2005, 06:32 AM
I like the 3-4 and if the Bills think one of the backup LBs are ready I'd like to see that as a regular formation. Anderson and Ron Edwards can come in when Bills want to give Sam Adams a rest with the Bills playing a 4-3 then.

Now if Pat wants to stay I'd reconsider but he'd have to want to stay at a reasonable rate otherwise I think you get more bang for the buck drafting for a 3-4.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Jerry Gray, Mike Mularky: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't switch to a 3-4 as your base defense....our roster is built for the 4-3! 3-4 as a situational package is fine...but not as the base D

mysticsoto
03-01-2005, 09:13 AM
I think it's unfair to say that we haven't used draft choices intelligently and therefore had to resort to trading/paying for FAs as our LBs. You don't know what you are going to get when you draft a kid into the professional rankings. Some thrive and flourish while others don't. Eric Flowers looked fantastic in college when we grabbed him. We all know what a dud he turned out to be. Sometimes it is injury that claims a great player (Sam Cowart). The scouts and TD do their best to look for talent level and other intrinsics. But ultimately, you are throwing the dice and gambling between trying to find an impact player, and filling holes that you have on the team. Using FA to fill holes is just part of the game. Every team does it and we shouldn't look down on it. We should be happy that we have an elite LB core...now if we can just get better depth, we'll be fine for years here.

The_Philster
03-01-2005, 03:04 PM
A few years ago, when we had DaShon Polk and Dominique Stevensen on the roster, I'd say we could go to a 3-4...but right now, I just don't know.