PDA

View Full Version : Is being GM and President a conflict of interest?

Jeff1220
02-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Usually a GM deals with football aspects of the business, like player signings and talent evaluation, while the president's resposibilities deal mostly with the bottom line. Doesn't it create a natural process of checks and balances to have 2 seperate guys doing these jobs, since the can agree/disagree/persuade/negotiate with each other? Since TD is worrying about both, does it create a conflict of interests?

The_Philster
02-28-2005, 06:21 PM
:scratch: In a way, I think yeah...you bring up excellent points. But I think the President position is mostly in name so that he can attend meetings that Ralph formerly attended in place of Ralph. Ralph still has the final say on whether TD stays or goes.

Dozerdog
02-28-2005, 06:31 PM
If you are running a tight bottom line, I would think you would want the Prez &GM on the same page.

There is a cap- so most of the on-field costs are somewhat fixed

EDS
02-28-2005, 06:36 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Usually a GM deals with football aspects of the business, like player signings and talent evaluation, while the president's resposibilities deal mostly with the bottom line. Doesn't it create a natural process of checks and balances to have 2 seperate guys doing these jobs, since the can agree/disagree/persuade/negotiate with each other? Since TD is worrying about both, does it create a conflict of interests?

No.

A conflict of interest may exist for a GM/coach, but not GM/president. Plus, the proof is in the pudding - TD has not created a financial problem for the franchise, he has managed the cap well and has made efforts to put talent on the field.

Mr. Cynical
02-28-2005, 06:45 PM
I think this is a valid concern, yes.

Dozerdog
02-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Can anyone cite a specific time where one would conflict with the other?

BillsFever21
02-28-2005, 08:01 PM
I have no problem with him doing both.

YardRat
02-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Can anyone cite a specific time where one would conflict with the other?
When it's time for the team president to re-negotiate the GM's contract?? :D

Jan Reimers
03-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Only if you're President of the Bills and GM of the Dolphins.

Jan Reimers
03-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Seriously, as President, TD is responsible for the overall success of the operation, which entails far more than the bottom line. As GM, he is the top football guy. Since the success of the Bills' organization is largely dependent on what happens on the field, there wouldn't appear to be a conflict.

The Bills have several VPs, a treasurer, and a controller, one of whom probably acts as TD's CFO - Chief Financial Officer - watching the bottom line. And the Chairman, Ralph himself, would have the final say on all matters, financial and other.