PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS LOOK AT FIEDLER

Gunzlingr
03-01-2005, 08:03 AM
March 1, 2005 -- It appears the Giants will not be battling with the Jets for backup quarterback Jay Fiedler, but they are competing with the Bears for his services.
Brian Levy, Fiedler's agent, told The Post yesterday that the Giants and Bears have both been extremely aggressive in pursuing his client and lists them as the front-runners. The Jets, he said, are thus far not in the game.

"I've been hearing that they are interested but I haven't made contact with them yet," Levy said. "I think Jay might be their second option. They might be waiting on the Holcomb situation."

That would be Kelly Holcomb, who at the moment is locked in a contract squabble in Cleveland. If that situation isn't rectified, Fiedler would be interested in the Browns, as that would present a chance for a starting job, something Fiedler, 33, was accustomed to in Miami before he was recently released by the Dolphins.

The Giants need a backup for Eli Manning, and Fiedler, who grew up in Oceanside, L.I., and starred at Dartmouth, fits the profile. GM Ernie Accorsi raves about the influence another former Ivy League quarterback, Jason Garrett, had with the Giants even though Garrett never stepped on the field.

"The Giants are very interested," Levy said. "They've been aggressive and appropriate at this point. I've had very productive talks with [assistant GM] Kevin Abrams. Jay is one of the guys at the top of their list."

The free agency signing period begins at midnight tonight, but because Fiedler is a veteran and he was released, the Giants can sign him at any time.

link (http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants/40564.htm)

Jayhawk
03-01-2005, 08:31 AM
ah they go from one crappy qb to another

Jersey1031
03-01-2005, 08:51 AM
ah they go from one crappy qb to another

dont matter, only to be a back up...

Jayhawk
03-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Fielder may not be a crappy qb, I just don't like his game.