PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins to get shot at E. James

Gunzlingr
03-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Running back Edgerrin James is the Colts' franchise player, but that doesn't mean he won't be on the free agent market when it opens Wednesday.

James this week hired local agent Drew Rosenhaus, and the agent said Monday he will be actively trying to get James a multiyear offer from several teams, including Miami.

''I will be calling several teams about Edgerrin, including the Dolphins,'' Rosenhaus said.

Moving James from Indianapolis is a daunting task. Any team signing him to a contract would have to compensate the Colts with two first-round draft picks. The only way the price for James would be less is if the Colts agree to take a lower compensation.

Last week during the annual NFL scouting combine, Colts coach Tony Dungy and president Bill Polian made it clear they want James to return.

Miami needs a star running back such as James, but the team seems unlikely to be a high-priced shopper when free agency opens. The Dolphins will have to make a handful of roster moves or restructure several contracts today to get under the $85.5 million salary cap.

Link (registration required) (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11018136.htm?1c)

Jayhawk
03-01-2005, 08:21 AM
yawn, we have been hearing about this since he came out of college, warn me when it actually happens.

Novacane
03-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Just Rosenhaus making his usual noise. If Miami wants to give up the #2 pick in the draft plus next years #1 plus pay him a ton of money then I hope he goes to Miami. They are more than a running back away from being a good team again

Jayhawk
03-01-2005, 08:27 AM
yeah they need a line, a clue, wr's, a brain.

DraftBoy
03-01-2005, 08:27 AM
I pray for Miami to get James, bc not only will it cost them 2 1st rounders but the players they will have to gut along with the 1st rounders is way more than Id pay for anybody in this league. This is great GO EDGE TO MIAMI!

EDS
03-01-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't understand why the Dolphins would want a veteran running back. Aren't they in a clear rebuilding mode? They could get he top runner in the draft with their pick.

lordofgun
03-01-2005, 08:41 AM
I pray for Miami to get James, bc not only will it cost them 2 1st rounders but the players they will have to gut along with the 1st rounders is way more than Id pay for anybody in this league. This is great GO EDGE TO MIAMI!
Yep.

Jersey1031
03-01-2005, 08:48 AM
why dont they just draft benson?

Jayhawk
03-01-2005, 08:51 AM
they don't need Ricky 2

DaBills
03-01-2005, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't wish E on Miami just yet. If Pat W goes, now we gotta stop Dillon, Martin AND James 2x a year?

Michael82
03-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I hope the Colts refuse to trade Edge, so that someone like Miami has to give up two 1st rounders. :D

Samphin1
03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I hope the Colts refuse to trade Edge, so that someone like Miami has to give up two 1st rounders. :D

Uh, we don't want him that bad! The only way we get him is via trade with less compensation. The days of squandering draft picks died when Wanny left town. Perosnally, I would rather sign or draft a back then trade for one. Unless we can get edge for cheap, or for surtain straight up, I wouldn't do it.

DraftBoy
03-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Uh, we don't want him that bad! The only way we get him is via trade with less compensation. The days of squandering draft picks died when Wanny left town. Perosnally, I would rather sign or draft a back then trade for one. Unless we can get edge for cheap, or for surtain straight up, I wouldn't do it.

Dont be too certain of that you still got a rookie coach who wants to be a key part of personnell he may not squander picks but he may still waste them, dont be so confident just bc Wanny is gone.

jamze132
03-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Is it just me are do Drew Rosanhaus and Scott Boras sound like buttbuddies? They are good at getting their players top dollar though.

Samphin1
03-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Dont be too certain of that you still got a rookie coach who wants to be a key part of personnell he may not squander picks but he may still waste them, dont be so confident just bc Wanny is gone.

True. Saban may turn out to draft horribly. However, my point was that he will keep those draft picks for him to pick. Wanny gave them out like candy and we would routinely have like 1 pick on the first day of the draft, two if we were lucky before trade downs/ups.

My point is Saban would rather "waste" those pick on players he chooses out of college then "waste" them on a veteran. Now, that is not saying that if a right deal comes along, he wouldn't jump on it. If the Colts took a third rounder for James, I would think you have to go for it. Not for two number one's though, no way does Saban make that deal.

Bulldog
03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
True. Saban may turn out to draft horribly. However, my point was that he will keep those draft picks for him to pick. Wanny gave them out like candy and we would routinely have like 1 pick on the first day of the draft, two if we were lucky before trade downs/ups.

My point is Saban would rather "waste" those pick on players he chooses out of college then "waste" them on a veteran. Now, that is not saying that if a right deal comes along, he wouldn't jump on it. If the Colts took a third rounder for James, I would think you have to go for it. Not for two number one's though, no way does Saban make that deal.

A 3rd rounder for Edge? Maybe they'll throw in Manning for a 4th. Seriously, Indy will want a hell of alot more than a 3rd for Edge.

Bill Brasky
03-01-2005, 03:04 PM
yeah they need a line, a clue, wr's, a brain.

and a non-gay mascot/fans. :limp:

Bling
03-01-2005, 04:00 PM
and a non-gay mascot/fans. :limp:

I never really understood why you didn't become a Dolphin fan.

Bling
03-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Please, you're all living in denial if you think Miami is paying up 2 1st. I doubt unless Rodgers falls, they don't draft RB with the #2.

STAMPY
03-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Edge was 3rd in nfl in rushing, you guys are nuts, he's finally healed