X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Cap forces Phifer cut -- Exit generates $1.5M savings

With the restricted and unrestricted free agent deadlines staring them in the face today, the Patriots [stats, news] continued their salary cap house cleaning yesterday.

The Pats released veteran linebacker Roman Phifer after four years of exemplary service. Phifer came to the Pats from the scrap heap in 2001 and wound up playing a key role in three Super Bowl championships. However, Phifer turns 37 Saturday, and he said late in the season that retirement had crossed his mind. Phifer was scheduled to count $2 million against the cap, and his release results in a net cap savings of around $1.5 million for the Pats.

The releases of Phifer and Ty Law [news] have cleared around $11 million off the books for the Pats, who were substantially over the limit. They should now have enough room to maneuver this week.

A look at today's deadlines:

Restricted free agent tenders are due at 4 p.m. The assumption is that David Givens [news] and Jarvis Green will receive the mid-level tender of $1.43 million, which would entitle the Pats to a first-round pick in compensation if they failed to match an offer sheet.

The Pats could avoid the tender process by signing the players to long-term extensions, but the agents for Givens and Green said they haven't had substantive talks with the Pats since before the season.

Giving those players a low tender ($656,000) would be risky because that would entitle the Pats only to draft pick compensation where those players entered the league. Green was a fourth-round pick, Givens a seventh-rounder.

``I hope I'm here and I'm prepared to be here long term,'' Givens said. ``But I just don't know what's going on right now.''

Guard Stephen Neal is also restricted, and since he was a rookie free agent, a low tender would also provide inadequate protection for the Pats.

Rounding out the restricted class are the top two right tackles on the depth chart: Brandon Gorin and Tom Ashworth. The agent for Gorin, Joe Linta, said he is negotiating with the Pats on an extension, while Ashworth was awaiting the Pats' tender.

The unrestricted deadline comes at midnight, and the top two names on the Pats' list, Joe Andruzzi and David Patten [news], are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Andruzzi's priority is to get a deal done with the Pats and his agent, Linta, is negotiating with the team.

Patten is headed to the open market.

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

I would love Patten here. I have said that all along. A guy who will run over the middle and take a hit.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Jersey1031
      • Feb 2003

patten would certainly be an upgrade over reed
      "I'm cold, yeah I get my BUFFALO BILL on!" Lil' Wayne

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

I love it. Although I feel the same about the pats now as I did just before the Super-Bowl. They will be a playoff team next season but wont return to the SB.
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

So, no Phifer and Bruschi may retire too? That would be sweet!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
            Maybe?
            • Oct 2003

The problem is you need to cut the head off of the monster to kill it. BB needs to retire or get abducted by aliens or something.

I really hate the Pats. I will have a huge party at my place when they finally hit the skids and have a losing season.

Comment

• ajsdx
              • Aug 2003

We shoulda celebrated more in 2002 when they finished 8-8. We were right when we thought the Patriots were a fluke, but we didn't realize 2002 was the fluke year, not 2001.

Comment

Working...
              X