PDA

View Full Version : Will the rookie Quarterback hurt the Bills in the FA Market?

Michael82
03-01-2005, 09:24 AM
WGR550 was talking about this during the morning show and it made me wonder. Last year, this team was on the road to the playoffs and was a team someone would usually want to join to try for a Super Bowl ring. However, the team that was 9-7 last year got rid of their veteran QB and it looks like they may be losing two huge parts of the OL and DL. Is this a team that a veteran free agent would want to join? The cold weather is a factor, and so is the taxes. Do they consider us in a rebuilding mode? The Bills are admitting that the road may be a little bumpy this year, but they don't mind, because the long run will be worth it. Would the big name free agents feel the same way? In other words, would Takeo Spikes or Troy Vincent have signed onto this team now? Or would they have passed because of the fact that we are going with a rookie this year? What do you guys think? :feedback:

Romes
03-01-2005, 09:27 AM
It depends on how well Mularkey and TD can sell to the incoming players that we won't take any step back with Losman.

That being said, I think TD is an excellent salesman and Mularkey comes across as a very honest guy so I don't think it will be a problem.

EDS
03-01-2005, 09:31 AM
I doubt the Bills are going to sign any big name free agents anyway so I doubt this is an issue.

Typ0
03-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Did TD come right out and say JP was handed the job or do people just assume that because we don't have another QB right now and DB was cut? It seems to me some assumptions are being made.

You would think after what TD has done here people would give him some credit and not second guess so much. Every year we have improved in his tenure even the years we suffered with bad coaching. The man has a plan...and I can't wait to see it executed.

Filling in some holes in the DL, a little help in the backfield and we are a top 5 defense and perhaps dominant because we do have some dominant players in their prime like Spikes.

Beef up the OLine a bit, a full season with WM and a mobile QB and we are going to be much more effective at getting first downs than with the statue in there. Yes, there are times we are going to have to overcome the young play at QB...but it can be done.

Where we are going to falter this season is in some depth. It's the aspect of playing through injuries that will likely bite us in the ass. We'll just have to wait and see how that gets addressed in the near future.

Michael82
03-01-2005, 09:36 AM
I doubt the Bills are going to sign any big name free agents anyway so I doubt this is an issue.
We said that last year and had less money last year. We walked away with Troy Vincent, Chris Villarrial and also stole Daimon Shelton earlier.

Novacane
03-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Did TD come right out and say JP was handed the job or do people just assume that because we don't have another QB right now and DB was cut? It seems to me some assumptions are being made.

MM did. At the press conferance announcing Drew being cut. He said JP is the starter

G. Host
03-01-2005, 09:41 AM
I doubt anybody who is trying to reach Superbowl before they retire wil lsign a one year contract. Two year pitches will be affected as wel but not as much but after that I think it has little effect.

Jan Reimers
03-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Good points, but I hope we stay away from veteran free agents, anyway. If you look at our starting offensive and defensive teams, about half of our players will be 30 or older by next season.

We have brought in enough veterans the last 2 or 3 seasons - including Adams, Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Villarial, Shelton, Campbell, Posey, Fletcher and Teague - that I would like to see us get a little younger through free agency.

Don't get me wrong - most of these guys are key players, and some are great. But we haven't made the playoffs with any of them.

I don't want to rebuild through a major youth movement. I just feel we need some younger guys to prevent our getting old all at one time.

Michael82
03-01-2005, 09:43 AM

You would think after what TD has done here people would give him some credit and not second guess so much. Every year we have improved in his tenure even the years we suffered with bad coaching. The man has a plan...and I can't wait to see it executed.

Filling in some holes in the DL, a little help in the backfield and we are a top 5 defense and perhaps dominant because we do have some dominant players in their prime like Spikes.

Beef up the OLine a bit, a full season with WM and a mobile QB and we are going to be much more effective at getting first downs than with the statue in there. Yes, there are times we are going to have to overcome the young play at QB...but it can be done.

Where we are going to falter this season is in some depth. It's the aspect of playing through injuries that will likely bite us in the ass. We'll just have to wait and see how that gets addressed in the near future.
TD is not the one who decides who starts. Mularkey is. He already said that JP Losman WILL be the starter. That means he handed him the job.

Overall, I agree with you post. I trust TD and have faith that he will fix the problems that are on this team. But I just hope that he will be able to get one of the big name OL, and maybe a big name TE too. I also think that he will re-sign Pat Williams, but it will take some time for Big Pat to sit on the market first.

In TD we trust. :up:

Michael82
03-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Good points, but I hope we stay away from veteran free agents, anyway. If you look at our starting offensive and defensive teams, about half of our players will be 30 or older by next season.

We have brought in enough veterans the last 2 or 3 seasons - including Adams, Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Villarial, Shelton, Campbell, Posey, Fletcher and Teague - that I would like to see us get a little younger through free agency.

Don't get me wrong - most of these guys are key players, and some are great. But we haven't made the playoffs with any of them.

I don't want to rebuild through a major youth movement. I just feel we need some younger guys to prevent our getting old all at one time.
Damn, I never realized that. We are definitely getting older. :eek: (this is their current age)

Sam Adams 31
Mark Campbell 29
London Fletcher 29
Lawyer Milloy 31
Brian Moorman 29
Eric Moulds 31
Jeff Posey 29
Daimon Shelton 32
Trey Teague 30
Chris Villarrial 31
Troy Vincent 33

footballhottie
03-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I doubt the Bills are going to sign any big name free agents anyway so I doubt this is an issue.Dont be so freaking negitive you never know,look at Phitisburg they had a rookie QB and they did real good last season, Just becuase you have a rookie dosnt mean that you went to the bottom of the barrel for a player. plus look at what happend to NE when they let go of bledsoe...hmmm this could be an awesome season. :dance:Bills make me wanna shout!!!:dance: (mann i miss football season so much)

Michael82
03-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Dont be so freaking negitive you never know,look at Phitisburg they had a rookie QB and they did real good last season, Just becuase you have a rookie dosnt mean that you went to the bottom of the barrel for a player. plus look at what happend to NE when they let go of bledsoe...hmmm this could be an awesome season. :dance:Bills make me wanna shout!!!:dance: (mann i miss football season so much)
Welcome to BillsZone. :up:

I hope you are right and I agree with you. I miss football so much too. It hurts. :sadwalk:

bigbub2352
03-01-2005, 10:18 AM
jp losman will do just fine everyone is forgot about the emegence of mcgahee that will be huge for the devlopment of his career as well as having lee evans to grow with and a security blanket in moulds alot of young qbs get thrown into situations when a team is rebuilding don;t have those type players yet big ben in pitt stats were very similar to are buddy drew and look at the difference in records any coach from the combine laste year will tell u jp was the most physically gifted qb coming out better arm then the big three faster and tougher any buddy know about what kinda compensary picks we are gettin for winfeild and sammy i heard 3rd and 5th those would help for depth

TedMock
03-01-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't think our free agent signings will be affected this year at all. The primary reason is that I don't think we're going after big-name guys at the end of their careers. Meaning some 33 year old with one or two more years left in the tank. I could be completely wrong, but I believe that if we sign a big-name at all, it'll be at the guard position, so it won't be an "A-list" guest. I'd love to get Mike Wahle in here, since Green Bay is going to let both guards walk. That should have a huge impact on Favre's decision, too. Rivera's nice too, but he's a right guard, and is 5 years older than Wahle. So, he'd only be a 1 or 2 year fix. I think we're looking at guys 30 and under who see this team as "almost there" and want to be part of making us a contender.

Jan Reimers
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Damn, I never realized that. We are definitely getting older. :eek: (this is their current age)

Sam Adams 31
Mark Campbell 29
London Fletcher 29
Lawyer Milloy 31
Brian Moorman 29
Eric Moulds 31
Jeff Posey 29
Daimon Shelton 32
Trey Teague 30
Chris Villarrial 31
Troy Vincent 33
And I think at least 3 of the 29 year olds will turn 30 before or during the coming season. Also, if we re-sign Big Pat, he'll be 33.

I'm definitely a member of "The Future is Now" club, but we do need at least a small infusion of young blood.

TedMock
03-01-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm definitely a member of "The Future is Now" club, but we do need at least a small infusion of young blood.

and we will/have. If we look at the positions mentioned, we've also addressed the age thing. Hopefully some of these guys pan out.

DT - Edwards, Bannon, Anderson, Sape
TE - Euhus, Nuefeld
LB - Haggan, Crowell, Stamer
DB - Baker, Greer, Thomas, McGhee
WR - Reed, Evans, Aiken, Smith (I think we still need help there)

Moorman's a punter, he'll last several more years. My biggest concern is depth on the o-line, and a solid, future, #1 or #2 WR. Evans may or may not wind up the primary guy, but either way, he'll be a great #2. Hopefully he moves into the #1 slot. Reed, Aiken, and Smith, could all potentially be good #3 and #4 guys, but we still need that other starter once Moulds retires.

Ebenezer
03-01-2005, 11:05 AM
And I think at least 3 of the 29 year olds will turn 30 before or during the coming season. Also, if we re-sign Big Pat, he'll be 33.

and with the number of free agents going into 2006?? tall order getting FAs in here.

ScottLawrence
03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
and with the number of free agents going into 2006?? tall order getting FAs in here.

It's after the 2006 season.

The_Philster
03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
MM did. At the press conferance announcing Drew being cut. He said JP is the starterand it's his call to make..TD just brings the players in...MM makes the final call on who plays

Voltron
03-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Why does everyone seem to disrespect Sam Wyche? :huh:

JP has been working with Coach Wyche for almost a month now and the draft is a month away! FA hadn't begun yet when he came to town and started to watch film and learn the playbook.

Can he do any worse than Drew did? I highly doubt it and if he does at least he has an excuse that he is only a second year player. JMHO