PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Maddox is available

ghz in pittsburgh
03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Buoyed by the success of Roethlisberger and encouraging performance by Brian St. Pierre against the Bills in the regular season, the Steelers have quietly been shopping Maddox around during the combine last weekend. That's the word in Pittsburgh.

Because of Mularkey's connection in the resurrection of Maddox's career, and the need of an experienced backup in Buffalo ... well you can start the same rumor as everyone else.

To me, I'd stay away from Maddox, particularly if you have to give up something for him. During Donahoe's time in Buffalo, he has yet to hit a home run with a second day draft pick - maybe Mcgee can be counted as a double - and not even meaningful singles. Draft picks are a valuable commodity and the backbone of a team. Other than the first year with the Bills, he has traded too many valuable picks away and not getting great returns in late round picks for compensation. I gave him high marks for handling FAs with the Bills, but I don't think you can build a team by doing great on FAs alone. In fact all the superbowl winners demonstrated that you win by drafting well.

clumping platelets
03-01-2005, 10:10 AM
I read that the Steelers want no less than a 3rd :shakeno:

ICE74129
03-01-2005, 10:11 AM
I say here is our 4th. Take it or leave it

Pride
03-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I'd give up a 4th for him!

Can we trade Coy Wire for him? lol

3rd string for 3rd string!

Mr. Miyagi
03-01-2005, 10:18 AM
I read that the Steelers want no less than a 3rd :shakeno:
For Maddox? :eek:

I'd maybe give them a 5th, max.

Michael82
03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
I'd trade our 4th rounder for him and maybe a conditional late rounder next year.

Jan Reimers
03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
I think we'll find a serviceable backup in free agency. I'd hate to give up even a fourth, given our other needs.

Novacane
03-01-2005, 10:22 AM
NO WAY! There are FA's just as good as Maddux. Don't even give up a 7th

Pride
03-01-2005, 10:32 AM
thing I like is the fact he already knows mularky's offense... and obviously mentored big ben.

If he is satisfied with a backup role, he could be Losmans, Reich!

ddaryl
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
NO WAY! There are FA's just as good as Maddux. Don't even give up a 7threally who ?

anyone who is as good or better then maddox is going ot want to start or be paid a much higher then we will want to afford wage.

Maddox would cost us

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=tabledata>2005</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>750000.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabledata>2006</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>900000.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabledata>2007</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>1300000.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

and Maddox has proven he can win. I'd have no problem given Pitt a day 2 draft pick for Maddox

Michael82
03-01-2005, 10:39 AM
He's better than Shane Matthews. :::

ryjam282
03-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Much better then Shane Matthews. I would love to have him here. He could show JP a few things and could step in if needed also.

clumping platelets
03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
I would consider a conditional 2006 pick and maybe a player like Wire

Ebenezer
03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
really who ?

anyone who is as good or better then maddox is going ot want to start or be paid a much higher then we will want to afford wage.

Maddox would cost us

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=tabledata>2005</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>750000.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabledata>2006</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>900000.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabledata>2007</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>1300000.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

and Maddox has proven he can win. I'd have no problem given Pitt a day 2 draft pick for Maddox
depending on any compensation pick we get...i'd give up a 6th or 7th

Kerr
03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
He would be a good choice. He's a lot more mobile than he looks. He looks like Van Pelt, but he can scramble pretty well. Regardless, no qb out there will be above TD's first choice, Shane Matthews.

Ebenezer
03-01-2005, 11:16 AM
He would be a good choice. He's a lot more mobile than he looks. He looks like Van Pelt, but he can scramble pretty well. Regardless, no qb out there will be above TD's first choice, Shane Matthews.
I don't agree and I don't think SM is TDs first choice...he was the last guy on the list last year...they are giving him a chance to resign but I don't think they will wait until May to do something...SM has to crap or get off the pot.

G. Host
03-01-2005, 12:10 PM
There is no guarentee that Shane Matthews will make final roster cuts. Maybe Bills ought to consider getting Tommy Maddox and Shane Matthews to compete for backup QB position if Steelers ask for something reasonable.

STAMPY
03-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I dont get this at all... No way is Tommy Maddux better than either warner or Bledsoe... And u guys blast those cement toed QBs. We need a mobile Vet bla bla bla... Then ur willing to throw a pick at Tommy Maddux... THE XFL LEGEND

Get freakin Tony Banks in here, he's cheap and u wont give up jack****

TigerJ
03-01-2005, 01:51 PM
On general principal, I wouldn't trade for a backup. There have to be some serviceable free agent backups. Let Pittsburgh stew a while with too many QBs on their roster. Maybe they'll blink and cut Maddox.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Stampy, even though I'm not a Tommy Maddox fan, the one thing I gotta give him is that he does have a quick release. His sack numbers are fairly reasonable over the years. His biggest problem to most people is really about INTs.

I don't think he's known to be a good leader (and not known for sturdy, either). The Steelers have plenty of good leaders on offense - Hartings, Bettis, Ward, Fenaca, to name a few. When the going gets tough, these leaders toughen up and pull the troups through. I believe it is one of the reason the Mularkey preached the toughness when he becaome the Bills HC because he saw how it works first hand. I look around my Bills offense players, who can you say is a good leader? Mcgahee, too young. Moulds? Maybe but I'll say he's half the leader Hines is. Bledsoe was but had trouble following through from his play, and he's gone now. Who else?

Losman needs to grow up quickly in 2005 because the Bills are counting on him to be the leader, at least on offense. To me, having a quick start means everything to Bills fortune of 2005.