PDA

View Full Version : Keydrick Vincent on Pitt Radio

ghz in pittsburgh
03-01-2005, 07:38 PM
The free agent to be Vincent was interviewed on local ESPN radio. Brief summary:

1) Excited to see this day come. Cowher pretty much told him that they would go with Kendall Simmons after they lost to the Pats. No contact from the Steelers since.

2) Believed that he played great last season and he can be better. Credited his personal trainer who he hired earlier last year and they broke down his plays from 2003 and corrected all the problem area. Boasted that while this radio interview is going on, the trainer is breaking down the 2004 film of his for further improvment.

3) The biggest improvement in 2003 is his confidence enabled him to carry his practice results to games. He always has a big frame and strength, but had trouble translating those traits to actual games. No more.

4) Had no indication where he's going.

5) Loved run blocking. Would prefer the Steelers run 70% of the time instead of the 61% they had in 2004. Believed if they had stick to the basics of what they did in regular season instead of adapting to all the new changes in the playoff, they would've done better.

I came away with the impression that the guy has fairly good smarts, a good working habit (I guess went undrafted would teach you that), and won't come very cheap. A bit cocky as he said he's the "best guard" in NFL last year.

One downside is that he is the RG and said he felt comfortable playing RG. My feeling is that should Donahoe try to pull the same trick with Posey - an offer only good for the next 15 minutes - it would not work this time. I think the guy will try to see how much he can get.

Tatonka
03-01-2005, 07:41 PM
why is pitt replacing him if he is so good? did he get benched? i dont know that much abotu this guy.

Dozerdog
03-01-2005, 07:43 PM
I would guess that Simmons is going to be cheaper- being a good team on a consistent basis they are always losing guys to FAcy to stay cap compliant

Just like us losing Jennings

PISSCHUNK
03-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Kendall Simmons was a former #1 draft pick of the Steelers that got hurt in camp last year and will be ready to go this year. They just can't pay him(Vincent) starters money but we can. Dude is huge and a roadgrader and exactly what we need. He can be taught to play LG. Heck, if he thinks that much of himself then he should be able to swap over just fine.

Knock him dead TD at 12:01!!!

"Nice pick Cowa"

Tatonka
03-01-2005, 07:53 PM
oh..ok.. so this guy was pitts starter all year and now they are giving the job to the 1st round pick that hasnt played.

PISSCHUNK
03-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah, Simmons played his rookie year and hurt this past year if i'm not mistaken. Vincent was a UDFA find that has worked and panned out.

"Nice pick Cowa"

Tatonka
03-01-2005, 08:00 PM
so vincent has one good year at RG under his belt? and he is gonna get big money? how old is he?

Romes
03-01-2005, 08:05 PM
so vincent has one good year at RG under his belt? and he is gonna get big money? how old is he?

He is 26 years old. 6'5'' 325

Here is the scouting report from scouts inc.

Vincent plays with leverage, plays with a mean streak and gets good initial pop. Has the lower body strength to consistently push the pile in the running game and looks to finish blocks. Gets adequate hand placement and almost never loses a battle once locked on. As a pass blocker, gts adequate knee bend and rarely gives ground to bull rushers. Lacks an explosive first step, doesn't show a quick set in pass protection and will need help when working against explosive one-gap defenders. Plays with a narrow base at times, loses balance far too often and has problems sustaining blocks. Overall, Vincent is young and he has the work ethic to develop into a quality backup or adequate starter but his upside is limited by his lack of range and athletic ability.

Dozerdog
03-01-2005, 08:06 PM
That's just it- I don't see Vincent getting a huge contract- something similar to Villarrial maybe.

Tatonka
03-01-2005, 08:12 PM
so the question is can he switch to LG?

Dozerdog
03-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Or just take over for Jennings? Might be this year's Marcus Price....

ghz in pittsburgh
03-01-2005, 08:26 PM
In all honesty, Simmons, a first round pick G, is a better player than Vincent, and that's the reason behind Steelers' decision of letting Vincent go; they know they cannot afford Vincent, an idication that Vincent won't come very cheap.

Vincent signed on as UDFA in 2000, and was a backup for both guard positions. Started about 6 or 7 games in 2003 and got a big break in 2004 when Simmons went down in training camp. This much is well acknowledged by all: he improved every year in NFL.

The Steelers has an all pro Fenaca at LG and they invested another first round in Simmons to be the RG. And you know that they will not - and really cannot in this salary cap era - to pay another starter salary for a backup in this position. Heck they already pay $3+ million for their center Hartings. See why Bettis is willing to come back running behind these interior linemen?

Wheresthekgun
03-01-2005, 09:44 PM
He is 26 years old. 6'5'' 325

Here is the scouting report from scouts inc.
Mcnally can make him great!