PDA

View Full Version : Pat Williams drawing a lot of early interest...

Ickybaluky
03-02-2005, 03:17 AM
According to the New Jersey Star Ledger (http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1109745743103120.xml), Jason Ferguson has already agreed to sign with the Cowboys. With that done, the Jets hope to fly Pat Williams into NY today as a replacement. The article says several teams are already interested in Williams, including cap-rich Minnesota.

clumping platelets
03-02-2005, 03:22 AM
So, it's ok to negotiate before FA officially begins? :shakeno:

Ickybaluky
03-02-2005, 03:27 AM
That would be tampering. Free Agency started last night at midnight.

Of course, by coincidence the entire NFL and all the agents have spent the last week in Indy together at the Combine. In theory, they could be outlining the parameters of contract offers and getting a jump on the process.

But that doesn't happen, as it would be tampering.

clumping platelets
03-02-2005, 03:29 AM
Jets were reported as close to signing Jennings in an article dated 3/1

kevinj22
03-02-2005, 06:11 AM
We are definitely going to lose both Williams and Jennings that's life in the NFL. It happens to all teams, so you can't sit there crying in your soup you have to pick yourself up and move on. If Jennings goes to the Jets fine, Schoebel will eat him alive with speed rushes. Williams is a good player but I would have been more upset if it was BIG SAM going. We will fine adequate players to fill the holes that we have. We're too good of a team to let these losses stop us.

McBFLO
03-02-2005, 06:30 AM
I have a question. If FA just started at midnight, how the hell did Muhammed sign with the Bears last week?! Wouldn't that be tampering? Nobody has said anything about this.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2005, 07:04 AM
I have a question. If FA just started at midnight, how the hell did Muhammed sign with the Bears last week?! Wouldn't that be tampering? Nobody has said anything about this.

Muhammed was released, so he was not under contract with anyone. Free agents are under contract with their old teams until the start of the new NFL year, which is March 2.

helmetguy
03-02-2005, 07:28 AM
If/when Williams does take the money and run somewhere else, is it possible that you may see Buffalo switch to a 3-4 scheme this season? Put a decent interior linebacker next to Fletcher and use Posey in a "rushbacker" role like he was in Houston? Hmmmmm.......

The King
03-02-2005, 07:31 AM
If/when Williams does take the money and run somewhere else, is it possible that you may see Buffalo switch to a 3-4 scheme this season? Put a decent interior linebacker next to Fletcher and use Posey in a "rushbacker" role like he was in Houston? Hmmmmm.......

I was just thinking of that when I saw Kendrell Bell available.....

Dozerdog
03-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Are Kelsay and Schobel 3-4 players? Usually your ends are bigger in a 3-4 defense and smaller, quicker oin a 4-3. Look at Phil Hansen, a DT in the 4-3 but a DE in the 3-4

I doubt it would happen. Gray is a decendant of Gregg Williams, who is a decendant of Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. Bills only go to a 3-4 if they bring in a 3-4 Def coordinator, like Wade Phillips.

Ickybaluky
03-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Besides DE, LB would be a problem.

Fletcher is too small for a 3-4 ILB, he is a chase player, not a guy that is going to take on a OG or FB, which is what a 3-4 ILB has to do. 3-4 ILB have gap responsibilities, which means they take a beating and need size. Fletcher would be limited to the WS.

Then there is Spikes, who probably could play all the LB positions. However, Spikes is an athletic guy who is at his best running to the ball, I think it would be a waste to use him inside where he could get caught up in the muck. He would be well suited to WSLB in the 3-4, but that is the only place you could put Fletcher.

Posey obviously would fit as the SS rusher.

It seems to me the Bills have been pretty effective on defense playing the style of defense they play, and playing that style is how their players can be their best. I can't see changing the whole defense because they lose Williams (and I still think he has a good shot at re-signing, since I could see him giving Buffalo the right to match any offer).

McBFLO
03-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Muhammed was released, so he was not under contract with anyone. Free agents are under contract with their old teams until the start of the new NFL year, which is March 2.
If thats the case, how come there was no news about Mason, or anyone else that was cut beforehand. You'd think those guys would've gotten snatched up right away.