PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting comments from Jonas

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-02-2005, 08:21 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/03/02/bc.fbn.bills.williams.ap/index.html

I don't know what you guys take from this, but it looks like to me TD assumed what the asking price was going to be and didn't even make a run at Jonas....and this article also makes it seem like it is a foregone conclusion that Pat is going elsewhere....

My apologies if this was already posted.

Michael82
03-02-2005, 09:14 AM
I wonder if McNally didn't like him? Or maybe Mularkey didn't like the fact that he is injure prone?

BuffaloRanger
03-02-2005, 12:07 PM
...or if TD just has no class.

Bulldog
03-02-2005, 01:12 PM
...or if TD just has no class.

Let me get this right. TD has no class because he is unwilling to overpay for an oft injured, slightly overrated LT & and 33 year old DT who's best football is behind him? This is all a part of the FA era, players move on. If Buffalo were to overpay for every one of their FA's, the Bills would be right back to where they were when Butler bailed. That fact that Williams and Jennings may leave via FA isn't news to the powers that be at One Bills Drive. I'm sure they have other options in mind should Buffalo lose one or both.

BuffaloRanger
03-02-2005, 02:08 PM
No you are wrong Bulldog. It's not the fact that he is unwilling to overpay. TD has no class because he wouldn't even talk to the players or their agents in the last month to see what there contract demands were.

Not talking to veteran players /agents (at the very least) to see their salary demands is unclassy. It shows other FAs that the GM will treat veteran players like crap.

Would it have been so difficult to meet with players to tell them "sorry, we need to go in a more inexpensive direction."

jamze132
03-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Just because someone reports that the 2 sides haven't had any discussions doesn't mean anything.

Bulldog
03-02-2005, 02:15 PM
No you are wrong Bulldog. It's not the fact that he is unwilling to overpay. TD has no class because he wouldn't even talk to the players or their agents in the last month to see what there contract demands were.

Not talking to veteran players /agents (at the very least) to see their salary demands is unclassy. It shows other FAs that the GM will treat veteran players like crap.

Would it have been so difficult to meet with players to tell them "sorry, we need to go in a more inexpensive direction."

Regardless of what Jennings and Williams or they agents have said, I'm pretty sure the Bills organization has had contact with their representatives and knows what each of them is seeking with regards to a new contract. It wouldn't be in the best interest of the Bills organization to simply turn their backs on these two and refuse to negotiate with their agents. Chances are that TD put some feelers out to see how far apart the two sides were and decided it would be best to let them test the waters to see whats out there.

BuffaloRanger
03-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Just because someone reports that the 2 sides haven't had any discussions doesn't mean anything.

This isn't ESPN or CNNSI we are talking about.

Multiple sports reporters for Buffalo News, same for Rochester D&C. All with "connections" or "sources" in the Bills organization.

One of those 10+ reporters would have reported discussions if any happened. Somebody would have told them "they talked and were way off" or "Bills won't make an offer" etc, but that didn't happen.

Novacane
03-02-2005, 03:07 PM
This isn't ESPN or CNNSI we are talking about.

Multiple sports reporters for Buffalo News, same for Rochester D&C. All with "connections" or "sources" in the Bills organization.

One of those 10+ reporters would have reported discussions if any happened. Somebody would have told them "they talked and were way off" or "Bills won't make an offer" etc, but that didn't happen.

One person reports it and the rest of them just report what he reported. Why such a hard on for TD?

BuffaloRanger
03-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I have never been a big TD fan. He's made a lot of bad moves. I don't want to list them all here. I'll just say that his criminal neglect of the O line through-out his tenure is one of the the main reasons.

He makes moves that fly in the face of convential NFL wisdom just to try to seem "smarter than thou." He is most definitely not one of the Top 5 or even 10 front office types in the NFL, as some people claim.

Winning is the definition of success in sports. If QBs don't win, bye-bye. If coaches don't win, bye-bye. If GMs/Presidents don't win, bye-bye. How much longer until his bye-bye?

mysticsoto
03-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Oh C'mon people. Calm down. If you are upset that JJ and PW signed with other teams, you shouldn't be. You should have expected it. If TD didn't talk to JJ it's b'cse they didn't feel they needed him. I'm sure McNally would have fought and fought with TD if he felt he needed JJ on the team. Truth is, he does get injured often and is not that durable. I believe in every year since he started he's been out atleast 1 game and more often than not, out several games. I sincerely believe that they have a plan of moving Teague back to LT and drafting a good Center since the Center is ripe with depth at the Center position - much moreso than at OT.

As for Pat, an offer had been made to him and he wanted more. He said he would be willing to take less to stay in Buffalo, but that was all bull***** b'cse when it came down to it, he didn't want to take less. We have 2 prospects behind him that are younger and eager to play. B'cse they haven't started much doesn't mean they are not capable. In fact, toward the 2nd half of the year, the coaches were raving highly on Tim Anderson, and Ron Edwards has actual experience. Either one will be a good fit, and I'm willing to give them a chance to shine.

It's easy to yell and criticize at TD right now - much like so many did (including myself - I might add) when he took McGahee 2 years ago. But one thing I do like about TD is he has the balls to do what is necessary - regardless of popular opinion.

How about we wait to see how it turns out before just jumping to criticize???

G. Host
03-03-2005, 06:57 PM
I have never been a big TD fan. He's made a lot of bad moves. I don't want to list them all here. I'll just say that his criminal neglect of the O line through-out his tenure is one of the the main reasons.

Criminal neglect? :rofl: Someone has been reading to many of Wys's columns.

Bert102176
03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
I just think it was morally wrong of him to presume what the asking price would be instead of talking to the players and their agents, what ever happened to loyalty, and respect

LtBillsFan66
03-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Here's an interview with Jonas on SF radio. Although he's polite, I sense some bitterness.

http://24.104.40.88/knbr/0303jennings.wma

Bert102176
03-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I would be bitter too

Bert102176
03-04-2005, 01:51 PM
TD should have atleast seen how much he was asking for atleast, I mean if he really wanted to stay like he said, then maybe we could have gotten him at a good price.